Old April 18th 08, 07:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default 1/4 Wave on 28.500MHz

No, the beam and collinear are not isolated from the pole.

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Barrett wrote:
Cecil, got a question for you.
I have another 20ft pole mounted on the back of my house and it is rested
on the patio floor. I plan to put up a Cushcraft MA5B on this pole and a
2/70 collinear on top. Does this mean that there will be high voltage on
the pole beneath the beam from the beam or from the collinear?

Are the beam and collinear isolated from the pole?
If so, there's probably no real problem.

If a mobile antenna is being used with the pole as
the counterpoise, then about half of the RF energy
flows in the pole. RF burns can be the result.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Old April 18th 08, 09:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Barrett wrote:
No, the beam and collinear are not isolated from the pole.

Are they a "Plumber's Delight" design?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old April 18th 08, 09:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Barrett" wrote in message
Just went out to get things ready to try the Ariel's out tomorrow and it
occurred to me that the 20ft pole is resting on the patio. To make this
work, would I need to lift the pole off the floor and would 1ft be enough?

Its laying Horizontally??

Old April 18th 08, 10:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Barrett wrote:
Sorry, I don't understand, what do you mean by a Plumber's Delight design?

Sorry, a plumber's delight design is where the support
pole is attached to a voltage node on the antenna so no
RF current flows in the pole. The alternative is to
insulate the balanced Yagi from the pole.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Old April 18th 08, 10:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Thanks for the explanation.
For the best performance from the Yagi would you recommend to insulate it
from the pole as a standard practice for safety and performance?

Thanks

Old April 19th 08, 01:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Barrett wrote:
For the best performance from the Yagi would you recommend to insulate it
from the pole as a standard practice for safety and performance?

I would follow the manufacturer's recommendations.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com