Old May 16th 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Wrist Rocket Height

Buck wrote:
...My favorite tool was a Bear 76er Bow and Arrow
with a short string. It had a 50 lb pull and I
could place an arrow with a screwdriver handle
on the tip where ever I wanted it.

The best was a converted shotgun. I took a
shotgun shell and took out the shot, folded
the plastic outer shell over the inner shell
and stuck a wood dowel into it. On the far
end of the dowel was a screwdriver with an
eye hook onto which I tied a string...

I'm having trouble picturing the "screwdriver handle"
in both of those. Could you elaborate, please?

Lumpy

In Your Ears for 40 Years
www.LumpyMusic.com

Old May 17th 08, 01:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Tim- from my High school Physics== the Formula is: F= MA
Force = Mass Times Acceleration. Perhaps a Bow and Arrow
will exceed the (Wrist Rocket) in this department? at 50#
Pull for Acceleration? (Oz per Oz) Jim NN7K

Tim Shoppa wrote:
On May 15, 12:46 pm, "R.Scott" wrote:
I'm trying to restring my Dipole up in a Pine (the tree has grown
about 10 ft, and the rope needs replacing) so I got out my trusty
Surgical tubing wrist rocket and a 1oz egg weight tied to my 15# test
fishing rod/reel (only using the bottom eye).

No matter how far I pulled back I got about 2/3s of the way up. Im
estimating that is about the 35 ft level.

Shouldn't a wrister go farther ???? need bigger weight ?

How high are you trying to go? With everything in my favor (wind,
etc.) I could get over about a 50 foot branch with a wrist-slingshot
and a 1oz weight. And I think I was standing on a 12 foot ladder to do
it, and this was a "best ever" shot.

Having the line catch on anything - grass, leaves, etc., is a major
downer. If there's no brush on the ground you might get a little more
height by spooling some line out in front of you.

Others here regularly claim being able to get 100+ feet with a
slingshot. I never said out loud that they're exaggerating, but I know
I could just barely do half that. To get to 100feet I went straight to
a tennis ball cannon.

Tim.

Old May 17th 08, 12:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Fri, 16 May 2008 10:39:11 -0700 (PDT), Tim Shoppa
wrote:

On May 16, 12:01*pm, Buck wrote:
The best was a converted shotgun.

SNIP

Wow, a shotgun. I wouldn't be so much scared of damaging the gun, but
instead of the gun blowing up in my face!

Wouldn't that be damaging the gun?

The dowel I used in the barrel was a bit smaller so it wouldn't get
jammed. I imagine if it were a larger diameter, it would have
traveled further. Completely filling the barrel would make me expect
an uncontrolled explosion...

--
73 for now
Buck, N4PGW

www.lumpuckeroo.com

"Small - broadband - efficient: pick any two."
Old May 17th 08, 12:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I'm having trouble picturing the "screwdriver handle"
in both of those. Could you elaborate, please?

Lumpy

The arrow had a screwdriver that had the shaft trimmed and tapped for
the screw thread of the arrow head.

The stick had a hole drilled in it and the phillips screwdriver stuck
inside the dowel and glued.

Old May 18th 08, 03:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Suggest you try a fishing pole. I used a zebco casting rod I bought
new for my wife. Now my favorite antenna pole.
I put my L up over 50' this way. Use 6 pound test line. Heaver line
weights too much. even 4 is better. Get a large washer. 2" or so.
Tie it on. cast up . If you miss your spot let the washer fall to the
ground. Do not reel back thru the tree. Cut off washer. reel back and
tie on and try again. The washer weights enough so it doesn't get
caught easily in trees. It goes so far be careful you do not damage
others cars or homes. It never broke off. When you get your spot tie
on Thin nylon cord and reel it back. Then a larger rope. The washer
rolls as it falls preventing tangling. Try it in a shorter tree for
practice. fishing sinkers do not work well, they wrap around
branches.
john wzy

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv w9zy

Old May 19th 08, 03:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

FWIW, I use 8lb monofiliament line and a 3oz fishing weight, and like
others, cast it over the tree with a fishing pole. Wristrockets can't
compare.

Also, in response to another poster, I have never had a fishing weight wrap
around a tree branch as long as it is allowed to fall to the earth. In
other words, allow the line to freely flow out until the weight has dropped
to the ground.

Russ
W6OHM

"R.Scott" wrote in message
I'm trying to restring my Dipole up in a Pine (the tree has grown
about 10 ft, and the rope needs replacing) so I got out my trusty
Surgical tubing wrist rocket and a 1oz egg weight tied to my 15# test
fishing rod/reel (only using the bottom eye).

No matter how far I pulled back I got about 2/3s of the way up. Im
estimating that is about the 35 ft level.

Shouldn't a wrister go farther ???? need bigger weight ?

Suggestions.

Old May 19th 08, 05:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Wrist Rocket Height - DILEMMA 2

Well my Antenna Im trying to raise and replace the rope is STUCK.

It seems after all this time the tree has trapped the rope up there,
and the antenna is Too high for me to
reach the rope with my Tree Trimmer on a ladder (its 20ft long)

SOOO, how does one get the rope to break or what can i pull up with a
rope if I toss it over the old rope to cut the line

(Ive already pulled as hard as I dare, its STUCK)

Sheesh Simple antenna projects never seem to be simple

Scotty W7PSK
Old May 19th 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Fri, 16 May 2008 10:39:11 -0700 (PDT), Tim Shoppa
wrote:

snip...........

The tennis ball cannon I use is very very similar to the CSV19 at
http://www.antennalaunchers.com/ and I am very very happy with it.
It's not so much a "point above a crotch in the tree and hope the ball
goes through" but "just shoot the ball and line over the tree".

Tim.

I built the QE-19 from the same site Tim mentioned. The "air valve"
for it is off-the-shelf so it's a plug-n-play project. It beats every
fishing rod, bow & arrow, sling shot..... anything I've ever tried
before. Beats them hands down. It'll easily clear a 100 foot height
and is accurate after you shoot it a couple times. It's a little
pricey but that could be spread out if it were to become a club
project.

Kingfish
Old May 19th 08, 06:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

snip...........

The tennis ball cannon I use is very very similar to the CSV19 at
http://www.antennalaunchers.com/and I am very very happy with it.
It's not so much a "point above a crotch in the tree and hope the ball
goes through" but "just shoot the ball and line over the tree".

Tim.

I built the QE-19 from the same site Tim mentioned. *The "air valve"
for it is off-the-shelf so it's a plug-n-play project. *It beats every
fishing rod, bow & arrow, sling shot..... anything I've ever tried
before. *Beats them hands down. *It'll easily clear a 100 foot height
and is accurate after you shoot it a couple times. *It's a little
pricey but that could be spread out if it were to become a club
project.

My impression is that the CSV19, with its modified sprinkler valve,
has a higher muzzle velocity than the QE-19. But overall, I agree
100%, that for me the tennis ball launcher was far and away the best
choice.

I have some friends who are very good with crossbows and they tell me
that I'm wrong, that the crossbow will do the job more reliably and
accurately than my tennis ball cannon, but I don't have a crossbow and
don't really intend to learn how to use one. I don't really want to
shoot arrows into my neighbor's property either. The tennis ball
cannon just made the job so easy, and literally the only gotcha is
that you'll not only send the ball over the target tree, but probably
the trees behind it if you aren't careful. One trick I learned very
quickly: When you see the ball go over the target tree, grab the
fishing line and stop it, then let it go so the ball can just fall
from there. My trees are at the very edges/corners of my property, and
using this trick I was able to ensure that the support lines are also
within the property.

Tim N3QE
Old May 19th 08, 07:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On May 19, 12:08*am, "R.Scott" wrote:
Well my Antenna Im trying to raise and replace the rope is STUCK.

It seems after all this time the tree has trapped the rope up there,
and the antenna is Too high for me to
reach the rope with my Tree Trimmer on a ladder (its 20ft long)

SOOO, how does one get the rope to break or what can i pull up with a
rope if I toss it over the old rope to cut the line

*(Ive already pulled as hard as I dare, its STUCK)

Climb up a ladder, cut it as high as you can.

The tree-trimmer-on-a-pole doohinkeys don't work well at all for
cutting ropes.

Next time use black ropes, they stand out a lot less than those
fluorescent orange ones!

Tim.

Flip that wrist, flip that wrist, flip that wrist so limp Keyclowns are retards CB 0 March 19th 07 12:05 AM
Rocket Boy KC8GXW-Jim Policy 2 February 11th 07 11:28 PM
Rocket Antennas... [email protected] Antenna 2 February 7th 06 08:46 PM
Antenna height vs roof height Thierry Antenna 4 July 22nd 04 05:00 PM
You may not be a rocket scientist.... KØHB Policy 1 November 10th 03 03:42 AM