Old May 23rd 08, 07:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default antenna construction

In article ,
Michael Coslo wrote:

Thanks Cecil, but I can't have any flag poles. 73's

Good lord, what kind of neighborhood won't allow a flagpole?
Unpatriotic creeps?

A "planned" community, with a strict set of CC&Rs, enforced by a
homeowner's association whose board has an extremely anal attitude
towards any variation at all in the community's planned appearance
scheme?

Sounds like you need to get PRB-1 in your corner.
Essentially, they cannot stop you from erecting *something*, you have
the right to an antenna.

PRB-1 applies only to governmental restrictions (e.g. city and county
zoning rules).

Unfortunately, it does not apply to CC&Rs (codes, covenants, and
restrictions) which are written into the title of a home or other
piece of property. Legally, these are part of the contract of sale of
the property - they're a private agreement between seller and buyer,
and are not implemented or enforced by the local government.

Hams have asked the FCC to rule that PRB-1 overrides such CC&Rs. The
FCC has declined to do so, on the grounds that it doesn't have the
legal authority - Congress *could* have written/extended PRB-1 to
override such CC&Rs, but chose not to do so.

See http://www.eham.net/articles/16368 for one story on this aspect of
the problem.

Unfortunately for hams, antenna-restrictive CC&Rs are quite common in
newer communities and are becoming even more so. I've heard that in
some areas, they're almost (but not quite) a legal fact-of-life, in
that lenders won't provide financing for the construction of the
community in the first place unless the builder includes a fairly
stiff set of CC&Rs in the plans (to "preserve the aesthetics and value
of the community" I suppose).

I believe I read an article a few months ago about legislation which
specifically overrides CC&Rs to the extent of allowing the flying of a
United States flag, but I can't recall the details... and I don't
think it would necessarily have allowed a long vertical flagpole.

There *is* one possible "out" with regard to antennas and CC&Rs,
although it does not involve PRB-1. Instead, it uses the OTARD
(Over-The-Air Reception Devices) rule (47 C.F.R. Section 1.4000),
which specifically allows the installation of television, direct-
broadcast-satellite, and "fixed wireless" antennas. This rule *does*
override CC&R restrictions, as well as local zoning restrictions.

It's not unlimited - mast height is limited to 12 feet, dish size is
limited to 1 metre, the override applies only to antennas installed in
an "exclusive use" part of the property (i.e. not in shared areas),
and there can be *some* restrictions on placement in limited cases.
In general, though, you're allowed to put up a TV antenna, and cannot
be hit with restrictions which materially increase your costs in doing
so or make the job significantly more difficult.

The rule doesn't apply to ham antennas. However, there's at least one
company (Force 12, I believe), which makes an antenna that can serve a
dual purpose - it's a shortened, center-fed-and-loaded (I think) HF
vertical, and also can serve as a TV reception antenna.

Another possible option would be to put up an *insulated* 12-foot mast
pipe with a standard TV log-periodic antenna at the top, run a set
of radials along the roof, and feed it at the base with an antenna
tuner. You might add some switchable base-loading coils, or even
figure out some way to relay-jumper the log-periodic at the top to the
mast so that it acts as a capacity hat.

As long as you *do* use the antenna for TV reception, I believe it'd
be covered by the OTARD preemption, even if you also use it
occasionally for ham-band use. [Just remember to disconnect the TV
feed system before keying up!!!]

See http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html for details.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old May 23rd 08, 08:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Dave Platt wrote:
In article ,
Michael Coslo wrote:

Thanks Cecil, but I can't have any flag poles. 73's

Good lord, what kind of neighborhood won't allow a flagpole?
Unpatriotic creeps?

A "planned" community, with a strict set of CC&Rs, enforced by a
homeowner's association whose board has an extremely anal attitude
towards any variation at all in the community's planned appearance
scheme?

Time to find a different place to live in. I live in a modern
development in which the only restrictions are that you keep the house
presentable, and the lawn mowed. There are some restrictions on tower
height and fall radius, but I could put one up.

Homeowners association = evil, bad, ptui!

Right there is the first clue that people shouldn't even consider living
in a neighborhood.

Really, there are other options.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -
Old May 24th 08, 12:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

===================================
A not 'too' visible antenna ,which might not be recognised as an antenna
is a loop around the house (provided you live in a detached house).
At gutter level at the corners you could fit say 1 foot long 1 inch
plastic pipe pointing sidewards or under a suitable angle.
Each pipe end has a saw cut to accept the antenna wire which can be sealed
with epoxy glue or a piece of tape.
Use a twin wire feeder and a suitable matching unit (tuner ,if you prefer
that word). The loop should work well for all wave lengths equal or
smaller the the loop circumference .

While on a 2 months' visit to the LA area (Torrance) I managed to put up
such a loop ,extended to the end of the garden making it a full wave
length for 75 metres. In spite of being only 10 ft off the ground
(probably making it a NVIS antenna) I comfortably worked the Sacramento
area.
Such a loop is definetely worth a try.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

Hi Frank,

No - I have metal siding on the sides of the house and I tried to load up
the siding and the rain gutters, but alas - they are grounded!

I am stuck with something in the air.

=====================================
In my situation as described above , I also had to deal with (earthed?)
metal gutters , but thanks to the 1 inch diam. plastic pipes at the
corners of the house ,keeping the antenna away from the gutter ,the
loop worked quite well (as an NVIS antenna).

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH
Old May 24th 08, 02:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Howard,
There is one other possible solution, not exactly cheap, or simple,
but a solution. How about a 'wire-less' connection between house and
car radios? Nasty solution, in my opinion, but...
- 'Doc

(Good excuse for new equipment??)
Old May 24th 08, 02:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote in message
Howard,
There is one other possible solution, not exactly cheap, or simple,
but a solution. How about a 'wire-less' connection between house and
car radios? Nasty solution, in my opinion, but...
- 'Doc

(Good excuse for new equipment??)

Thanks once again - I will take it under consideration....

Old May 25th 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Cecil Moore wrote:
Michael Coslo wrote:
Good lord, what kind of neighborhood won't allow a flagpole?
Unpatriotic creeps? Sounds like you need to get PRB-1 in your corner.

Here's what one ham did about his neighborhood
antenna restrictions. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC_EeWSKJII

Cecil:

After viewing that video, I was offered this for consideration of my
viewing pleasu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJpALdxzFzA&NR=1

And, I enjoyed it also ... GRIN

P.S. Isn't there a mental health program for old complaining cows, such
as those featured in the antenna clip? wink

Warm regards,
JS
Old May 26th 08, 06:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Bob Miller wrote:

Hang a 22' vertical wire from your tree...

"That darn tree limb swayed in the wind
so much I thought it was going to fall
off and come crashing down on my car.
So I put that 22' piece of wire up
to guy the branch. Now it looks nice
and steady."

"That other tree over there had the
same problem. It only required a
16.5' guy wire."

Nozy HOA spies? A red LED, a 1.2v
watch battery and a magnet, taped
together, looks a lot like a surveillence
camera from a few yards away. The magnet
allows you to toss it up to stick to the
side of your A/C unit or any other metal
thingie on the roof.

"I had some gang member spraypaint taggers
try and paint their graffiti on my cadillac.
So I had that security camera installed. It
records everything that happens on my lot."

Substitute "kids try to steal my handicapped plates"
instead of "gang member spraypaint taggers" for variety.

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

www.n0eq.com