Old March 10th 04, 04:32 AM
Cecil Moore

Jim Kelley wrote:
I don't think we should expect to see any momentum "calculations" from
Cecil. He can't even explain how the energy magically reverses
direction and heads back toward the load.

It's not magic and is explained on the Melles-Groit web page at:

http://www.mellesgriot.com/products/optics/oc_2_1.htm

Here's a quote: "Clearly, if the wavelength of the incident light and the
thickness of the film are such that a phase difference exists between reflections
of p, then REFLECTED WAVEFRONTS INTERFERE DESTRUCTIVELY, and overall reflected
intensity is a minimum. If the two reflections are of equal amplitude, then this
amplitude (and hence intensity) minimum will be ZERO."

Destructive interference stops the energy flow and momentum of the two reflected
waves toward the source (at the Z0-match point 'x' below.

Continuing: "In the absence of absorption or scatter, the principle of conservation
of energy indicates all "lost" reflected intensity will appear as ENHANCED INTENSITY
(constructive interference) in the transmitted beam" (traveling toward the load).

The energy involved in the destructive interference is not lost and appears as
constructive interference in the opposite direction. That energy has changed
direction and had its momentum reversed.

The fact is, in a matched system, energy obviously isn't reflected from the load.

No reflections from the load? Neglecting losses, I calculate 178 watts reflected
from the load and 278 watts of forward power on the 450 ohm feedline in the
following matched system.

100w XMTR---50 ohm feedline---x---1/2WL 450 ohm feedline---50 ohm load
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old March 10th 04, 04:44 AM
Richard Harrison

Steve Nosko wrote:
"I am missing just what it is that gets to the "Loss-less resistance"
conclusion."

If part of the source resistance were not lossless, efficiency would be
limited to 50%.

Fact is, Class-C amplification frequently is 2/3 or 66.6% efficient.
Twice the power is delivered to the load as is lost in the source.

If we deliver 1000 watts into 50 ohms, we have 224 volts and 4.47 amps
as a load.

Our source is identical,, 224 volts and 4.47 amps. Its volts to amps is
the same ratio, but its loss is not the same power as the power
delivered to the load because part of the source resistance is lossless
because it is the product of interrupted energy delivery, not energy
conversion into heat.

With 2/3 efficiency, when we have 1000 watts into the load, we have 500
watts lost in the source.

500 watts lost means only 1/2 the dissipative resistance as we have
resistance in the load, and thus the source resistance consists of 25
ohms of dissipative resistance and 25 ohms of non-dissipative
resistance. The total source resistance is 50 ohms which matches the
load resistance.

A match allows maximum power transfer.

The less than 360 degrees of energy supplied to the load makes 25 ohms
of dissipationless resistance as a part of our 50-ohm source in our
example.

Keep working on the idea and eventually you may get the model.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Old March 10th 04, 04:48 AM
Cecil Moore

Steve Nosko wrote:
100W XMTR---50 ohm coax---x---1/2 WL 450 ohm ladder-line---50 ohm load

Assuming yes... I think you are saying that we have a 450 ohm line and a 50
ohm load and therefore there is a reflection. Is that where you are?

Yes, there are reflections on the 450 ohm ladder line and none on the 50
ohm coax.

There
is no reflected energy on the 50 ohm coax and therefore no momentum in
the reflected waves on the 50 ohm coax.

I think you contradicted yourself here. Are you saying that there IS or
IS NOT reflected energy/waves on the 50 ohm section (to the left of the
"--x--"??

No contradiction. There's no reflected energy on the 50 ohm coax because
those two reflections are cancelled at the Z0-match point 'x'. They are
equal in magnitude and opposite in phase.

So what changes the direction
and momentum of the energy wave reflected from the load?

You lost me here. Perhaps you are asking; "If there is a wave
reflected at the end with the 50 ohm, back toward the left, how does this
power then get absorbed IN that load?" Is this the question?

No, there is 178 joules/sec rejected by the load on the 450
ohm line. That energy possesses direction and momentum toward the source.
What reverses the direction and momentum of that reflected energy?

The wave, in the 450 section, reflected from the load is NOT the power being
delivered TO the load, so it does not have to be "changed' to be delivered
there.

There is 100 joules/sec traveling to the right and none to the left on the 50 ohm
coax. There is 278 joules/sec traveling to the right and 178 joules/sec to the left
on the 450 ohm ladder-line. How does the rearward traveling 178 joules/sec, rejected
by the load, get turned around and join the forward traveling 100 source joules/sec
in order to add up to 278 joules/sec of forward power on the ladder line that is
incident upon the load?

It's a simple question: How does energy rejected by the load become energy incident
upon the load?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old March 10th 04, 06:27 AM
Richard Harrison

Cecil, W5DXP wrote:
"It`s not magic and is explained on the Melles-Groit web page---. (how
the energy magically reverses direction and heads back toward the load.)

I agree. It isn`t magic. Optical examples are good because we can see
reflections.

I think we have impedances which are inherent from the physical and
electrical characteristics that describe the path the electrical energy
takes. The path enforces the voltage to current ratio called impedance.

First example is Zo. Second example is 377 ohms of free-space. Third
example is resistor type resistance. Resistance is a property based on
configuration, dimensions, material, and temperature which make a
certain voltage to current ratio, which is measured in ohms. One ohm is
the resistance at zero degrees C of a uniform column of mercury 106.300
cm long and weighing 14.451 grams. One volt across a resistor of one ohm
causes a current of one ampere.

A wave travels down a transmission line and it consists of a traveling
electric field and an associated traveling magnetic field. Relative
strengths of the electric and magnetic fields on a practical uniform
transmission line are forced into a ratio Zo which is the square root of
the ratio of the inductance per unit length divided by the capacitance
per unit length. Zo is measured in ohms.

If the line is terminated in an impedance other than Zo, one of the two
fields is in limited supply as compared with its travel partner. As the
termination only accepts energy in its fixed ohms ratio of voltage to
current, surplus energy in the ample field is all rejected and reflected
as it has nowhere else to go other than to reverse its course.

The reflected wave must conform to Zo the same as the incident must.

Seems to me there`s no magic. The waves just do what they must.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Old March 10th 04, 03:34 PM
Cecil Moore

Richard Harrison wrote:
Seems to me there`s no magic. The waves just do what they must.

Reckon why some people believe that wave energy is allowed to change
directions at the load but not allowed to change directions at the
match point?

One of the problems in the field of RF (that the optics people don't
have) is the effective reflection coefficient Vs the physical
reflection coefficient. I have never heard an optics engineer say,
"Since reflections are eliminated at the thin-film surface, the
effective index of refraction of the thin-film is 1.0." The optics
reflection coefficient doesn't change with the magnitude of reflected
energy. It is always (n2-n1)/(n2+n1) where 'n' is the index of refraction.

Yet RF engineers will say, "Since reflections are eliminated at the
50 ohm to 450 ohm impedance discontinuity, the reflection coefficient
is zero." Why isn't the reflection coefficient always (Z2-Z1)/(Z2+Z1)
as it is in the field of optics?

Note: [(Z2-Z1)/(Z2+Z1)]^2 = [(n2-n1)/(n2+n1)]^2

The term on the left side of the equation is the RF power reflection
coefficient. The term on the right side of the equation is the
Reflectance (the irradiance optical reflection coefficient). Irradiance
is energy per unit time per unit area and is equal to power per unit
area. Thus the irradiance of a confined laser beam is equivalent to
power in a confined transmission line.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old March 10th 04, 05:17 PM
Steve Nosko

Interesting question and actually BEFORE I read R. Clark's post I decided to
say that I will begg off at this point. I may be overcome with curiosity on
this question in the near future (like I did for the QST WATTMETER article
calculations), but for now I prefer not to take the challenge. Joules are
much more than I want to consider. Job, Wife, Mother, Mother-in-law,
sister-in-law all needing care and a job that is full of crap. I use this
for enjoyable discussions that I can contribute to and this a way more brain
power that I want to devote. I suspect you, Cecil, can explain it. I know
that a 1/2 wave repeats the load Z, smith Chart and all that and can work
with that.

you win. 73

--
Steve N, K,9;d, c. i My email has no u's.

Old March 10th 04, 06:33 PM
Steve Nosko

High Wind alert!

"Richard Harrison" wrote in message
Steve Nosko wrote:
"I am missing just what it is that gets to the "Loss-less resistance"
conclusion."

If part of the source resistance were not lossless, efficiency would be
limited to 50%.

I disagree.
DC or RF:
Real source = XX volts
Real source resistance = 10 ohms
Real load 50 ohms

Efficiency is 50% DONE. (and I have no "loss-less resistance" anywhere)

I can't figure out where you are going nor what the hole is in the
technology that needs this extra stuff... are there formulas for it?

Fact is, Class-C amplification frequently is 2/3 or 66.6% efficient.
Twice the power is delivered to the load as is lost in the source.

Yea. We both know all this. I'm trying to get to the WHY part. The
issue is WHERE or WHAT is this loss-less resistance? Where is it? Why is
is even needed?

If we deliver 1000 watts into 50 ohms, we have 224 volts and 4.47 amps
as a load.

Our source is identical,, 224 volts and 4.47 amps. Its volts to amps is
the same ratio, but its loss is not the same power as the power
delivered to the load because part of the source resistance is lossless

I stop right here and say: It is because the source resistanace is
*less than* the load resistance. Simple as that! I can not come to any
other conclusion.

because it is the product of interrupted energy delivery, not energy
conversion into heat.

My eyes glaze over here. "interrupted energy delivery" -- can't
get a grip on this.

With 2/3 efficiency, when we have 1000 watts into the load, we have 500
watts lost in the source.

Yep. I believe the true issue is WHY does this happen? What is the
cause of this effect?
"Loss-less resistance" or Rs RL?
I say the latter, I think you say the former.

500 watts lost means only 1/2 the dissipative resistance as we have
resistance in the load, and thus the source resistance consists of 25
ohms of dissipative resistance and 25 ohms of non-dissipative

Why is this needed? I think I see. You are saying that because we
have a "match" We are at the "conjugate match" condition and therefore
*MUST* be at Rs=RL. Here's where I disagree. I believe this is absolutely
NOT the case as I say above. It's as simple as the fact that the amplifire
IS NOT internal resistance limited, but either dissipation limited or
perhaps breakdown voltage limited or cathode emission limited. NOW I THINK
I GET IT (your tack)!. You believe that the source resistance MUST equal
the load resistance.. Well I say Nope!
DC or RF:
Real source = XX volts
Real source resistance = 10 ohms
Real load 50 ohms

Efficiency is 50% DONE. What was that guy's name Ocam? of the Ocam's
razor fame:"Take the simple answer", or something to that effect.

resistance. The total source resistance is 50 ohms which matches the
load resistance.

I beileve this is where your error of reasoning is. I can not accept
that there is some other resistance which is not
quantifiable/observable/measureable. The source resistance must be less
than the load R for Eff 50%. I believe you are making this much more
complicated that is really is.

A match allows maximum power transfer.

I believe this is what is leading you astray. I believe you are
assuming that the maximum power of the maximum power theorem, and the
maximum power out of the real transmitter, are the same maximum power.
This is where I believe the error in reasoning is that requires the
loss-less resistance. They are not the same maximum power.

The typical DC power supply is operated with Rs RL. The power output
is limited by factors other than the maximum power transfer theorem (its
output resistance) suggest. The power supply is not limited by its internal
resistanse, but usually its ability to dissipate what little amount of heat
(relative to the load power) that is can.

I'll stick my neck out (because I believe I have a firm
understanding of what physical laws can not be violated) and say that my
conclusion is that the tube amplifier we commonly think of, when "tuned up"
absolutely can not be operating in an Rs=RL configuration. This is for the
very reasons you have stated. Because the power dissipated in the tube is
less than in the load, Rs does not = RL. This is is, of course, looking at
the load R presented to the tube by its output tank circuit. I believe that
this (the RL.-RS stuff) is the natural law which can not be violated.

There is indeed SOME load which the tube likes to see in order to get
whatever power it can provide to come out. And it AIN'T Rs.

The less than 360 degrees of energy supplied to the load makes 25 ohms
of dissipationless resistance as a part of our 50-ohm source in our
example.

Keep working on the idea and eventually you may get the model.
Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

I 'spose it's briefly is an interesting idea for discussion, but sorry
Richard, I find it hard to beieve it actually has any merit. My (I think
generally accepted) model works fine, it can explain all the phenomona(sp)
so far observed and... I work in the field and have never met anyone with
this idea and I have yet to see anything in the (uh, oh, here it comes. nose
in the air Engineer snob talk) profession which suggests this lossless stuff
is there, nor is there anything that remains unexplained which needs some
other effect.

I guess we close disagreeing.

If it works for you...

Interesting journey into some serious examination of principles, however.
--
Steve N, K,9;d, c. i My email has no u's.

Old March 10th 04, 06:36 PM
Steve Nosko

Uhhh... I think this is what I said (in other words of course)....I
think...73
--
Steve N, K,9;d, c. i My email has no u's.

"Richard Clark" wrote in message
On 9 Mar 2004 10:01:04 -0800, (Nick Kennedy) wrote:

I see this paper as a variation on a line of reasoning that goes like
this:

1) A conjugate match results in maximum power delivered to a load, so
it is good.

It is also a cliche unless another outcome was expected. As there are
other types of match, "good" becomes a speculation of value
judgements.

2) A connection where the load has much higher resistance than the
Thevenin equivalent source resistance results in high efficiency, so
it is also good.

At this point it is well to point out that there is no expectation of
"efficiency" implied or expressed in conjugation. Good follows from
application, application does not drive good.

3) Since (1) and (2) are both good, they must be equivalent to each
other. Therefore a conjugate match is what it is not. This is an
apparent contradiction.

"is what it is not" I am the Walrus? Coo-coo ca choo!

Two goods have no inherent relationship. Scratching an itch, and
solving world hunger also have no equivalency. Contradictions and
correlations can be forced across innumerable topics by this standard.

4) The contradiction is resolved by postulating a special kind of
resistance that adds to the source resistance. However, it has no
physical effect and exists only to resolve the contradiction in (3).

This has descended into the conventional mixing of theories to argue
one example. There is no reason to call on any resistance to perform
matching for efficiency's sake. There is no reason to enforce
efficiency upon a conjugate match.

A Conjugate Match is simply the observation of the inverse Load
Impedance presented to it by the source. The quality of that is that
the combination of inverse reactances yields a purely resistive
solution. Conjugation is an artifice to protect the source from
circulating currents and elevated potentials, it has no other purpose.

The Zo Match is not a Conjugate Match although it may be in special
circumstances. A Conjugate Match is not a Zo Match although it may be
in special circumstances. The Zo Match closely mimics the Thevenin
topology.

The Thevenin Theorem never contained a resistance to later argue its
necessity. Thevenin offered a source with an Impedance. An Impedance
"may" contain resistance, but it is not a necessity. The argument for
dissipationless resistances within the source automatically reject
themselves from the Thevenin category through being non-linear.
Attempts to re-embrace this linearity are convincing (the flywheel
argument of the finals' plate tank); but it does not deny the physical
resistance rendering heat that inhabits the source interior.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Old March 10th 04, 06:50 PM
Cecil Moore

Steve Nosko wrote:
you win. 73

It's not a contest, Steve, it is a search for the truth. I thought
maybe you could offer something compelling. The following two
questions are very similar:

1. How does RF power (joules/sec) rejected by the load wind up being
incident upon that same load some time later in a Z0-matched system?

2. How does irradiance (joules/sec) rejected by a pane of glass wind
up being incident upon that same glass pane some time later in a non-
glare air/thin-film/glass system?

Question #2 was answered decades ago by optics physicists. Question #1
still remains unanswered by RF physicists and engineers even though it
has virtually the same answer as Question #2.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old March 10th 04, 07:53 PM
Gene Fuller

Cecil,

With reference to question #2:

Who says such a silly thing? Not Melles-Griot, who appear to be your
favorite optical reference source. Not Born and Wolf in "Principles of
Optics", which is the ultimate optics reference book. Not any
professional optics experts I have ever encountered.

If you go ahead and solve the antireflective glass problem using
standard Maxwell's equations (sorry, Reg and Peter) with standard
boundary conditions for E and H fields you will find there is not the
slightest bit of confusion. This analysis is shown in many optics and
E&M textbooks.

In the perfectly antireflective case all of the waves keep moving in the
same direction, from air to thin film to glass. If one postulates the
existence of a wave in the reverse direction it will be discovered that
the amplitude of that wave is zero, meaning it does not exist. There is
no "bouncing back and forth" of confused energy not knowing where and
how to turn around.

The interference model is useful and intuitive for what it is meant to
explain. However, don't expect this sort of simple handwaving model to
be extendable to all sorts of silliness about energy and momentum transfer.

73,
Gene
W4SZ

Complex Z0 [Corrected] pez Antenna 41 September 11th 03 05:00 PM
Derivation of the Reflection Coefficient? Dr. Slick Antenna 104 September 6th 03 02:27 AM
The Cecilian Gambit, a variation on the Galilean Defense revisited Richard Clark Antenna 11 July 24th 03 07:30 PM