Old June 29th 08, 11:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default wireless rotator

Hi Andrea , You can do yourself a favor by learning X-10. The technology
allows a limitless number of channels. You can, if you want to, control
the rotation with X-10, and also send positoon back thru your AC lines.

Jerry KD6JDJ

"Andrea" wrote in message
Yes, but how I can see the position of my antenna?
Maybe I'm missing something, but with the X10 I can move the antenna but I
cannot "see" the position.

Andrea.

"Jerry" ha scritto nel messaggio

Hi Andrea

If the power for the rotator is related to the AC system that powers
your house, you dont need "wireless". There is a common connection
already available to you, X-10.

Jerry KD6JDJ

"Andrea" wrote in message
Thanks for all the comments.
But the problem is how to get the control signal of the position back to
the shack.

Andrea.

"Jerry" ha scritto nel messaggio

"Andrea" wrote in message
Hi guys,
Does enyone know if exist is a wireless rotator?
I cannot run the control cable between the control box and the
rotator.
Any advice is very appreciated.

Thanks

Andrea.

Hi Andrea

Since there is power at the rotator, I assume there are power lines
there. I think you can figure a way to rotate thru an X-10 device.

Jerry

Old June 30th 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Andrea" a écrit dans le message de
Hi guys,
Does enyone know if exist is a wireless rotator?
I cannot run the control cable between the control box and the rotator.
Any advice is very appreciated.

Thanks

Andrea.

Not sure, but I heard that in the past that President of Nokia, also ham
radio, had the project or did it, to control remotely his antenna system
(not usre that it is using a GSM).
Try maybe to contact Nokia.

thierry

Old June 30th 08, 07:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Thierry wrote:
Not sure, but I heard that in the past that President of Nokia, also ham
radio, had the project or did it, to control remotely his antenna system
(not usre that it is using a GSM).

I don't remember his call, I think he was VP of R&D or Engineering,
not the president. He did have a 20m 10 element Yagi. :-)

I don't think it rotated.

Geoff.

Old June 30th 08, 08:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Dear Dave thanks a lot for your very detailed message.
I will think about it and study a little more how ham rotator systems work.
Another idea is to use a pc controlled control box (in Italy we have a good
product by Prosistel) connected to my pc usign a serial wireless extender
adapter, but I have to check the range covered by the wireless. I'm at the
first floor and the antenna is at the 4th floor.
Thanks again!

Andrea.

"Dave Platt" ha scritto nel messaggio

In article ,
Andrea wrote:

Yes, but how I can see the position of my antenna?
Maybe I'm missing something, but with the X10 I can move the antenna but I
cannot "see" the position.

For a lot of the simpler rotator designs (e.g. most TV antenna rotator
systems I've seen) there isn't actually any positional feedback at all
between the rotator and the control box. The connection is entirely
one-directional (controller to rotator).

With these rotators, the position is deduced, rather than measured.
The rotator turns at a fairly constant speed when energized in either
direction, and its rotation is limited by clutch-stops in both
directions. When it's first installed you rotate it in one direction
for long enough for it to hit the (e.g.) clockwise stop, then manually
align the mast so that it's pointing due north (usually) and tighten
the U-bolts.

Thereafter, when you tell the controller to rotate the antenna, the
rotator turns the antenna, and a separate motor-gear arrangement turns
an indicator on the controller - presumably, at the same rate, so that
the indicator shows you something close to the actual antenna position.

The indicator and the antenna can drift out of alignment over time, so
it's necessary to resynchronize them occasionally... usually by
rotating the antenna for long enough that it hits the end-stop (and is
thus pointing north) and then manually adjusting the indicator
position on the controller box.

I think that you have two basic choices for your design approach:

- Do a wireless version of this simple arrangement... have your
wireless controller (X-10 or whatever) turn the rotator motors on
and off, *and* turn on and off a motor- or logic-driven position
indicator which deflects at the same angular rate that the rotator
moves. Occasionally re-synchronize the antenna and indicator.

- Use a rotator which has a true positional readout (e.g. a
potentiometer which can deliver a variable DC voltage, like the
Yaesu TailTwister types), plus a bidirectional radio link of some
sort. You'd need a couple of bits of control information going from
the controller to the rotator (to run the relays), and some sort of
analog-proportional coming back down.

The former is probably going to be easier to achieve.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Old July 1st 08, 08:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I was considering a similar problem recently and the thing that came
to mind was adapting bits and pieces of an Yaesu Atas system to a
rotator motor. FWIW.

ac6xg

Andrea wrote:
Yes Jerry, you're right.
In Italy it is not very used.... I will try to get some details on the
internet.

Thanks.

Andrea.

"Jerry" ha scritto nel messaggio

Hi Andrea , You can do yourself a favor by learning X-10. The
technology allows a limitless number of channels. You can, if you want
to, control the rotation with X-10, and also send positoon back thru your
AC lines.

Jerry KD6JDJ

.. .

"Andrea" wrote in message

Thanks for all the comments.
But the problem is how to get the control signal of the position back
to the shack.

Andrea.

"Jerry" ha scritto nel messaggio

. it...

Old July 8th 08, 01:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
ml ml is offline

In article ,
"Andrea" wrote:

Hi guys,
Does enyone know if exist is a wireless rotator?
I cannot run the control cable between the control box and the rotator.
Any advice is very appreciated.

Thanks

Andrea.

hi

this may be an unfair question, but presumably you are running
antenna cable ?? so why can't you attach a small additional
cable? who would notice if you wrapped them ?you'd also have to run a
power cable to to rotor too?

the rotor motor would require power, and i can't see how'd you
supply that wirelessly

so at minimum you'd have an antenna cable and power i would
guess so if your power cable had a few extra conductors who would
know? seems the easiest way

you could buy a wireless relay controlled or build it opening
/closing a relay wireless is pretty easy not sure how your
existing rotor sends position but you could perhaps remote that
or simply add your own position sensors and remote them back
using extra relays or some a/d method

naturally my presumption the rotor is for an antenna if so you'd
have to make your wireless device immune from interference that
your tx/rx antenna might cause as well as interference that
might be caused my your 'wireless controller' device
Old July 8th 08, 08:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

ml wrote:
In article ,
"Andrea" wrote:

[...]

one can easily send power up the coax. One can also easily send rotator
commands.

Whether someone makes this as a buyable thing is another story.