RadioBanter

-   -   Odd Piece of Coaxial Cable (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/136340-odd-piece-coaxial-cable.html)

Sal M. Onella September 4th 08 06:04 AM

Odd Piece of Coaxial Cable

I recently handled an estate sale. Among the SK's posessions was a one-foot
piece of RG-8 or RG-213 which he had carefully modified by cutting away
about 3/16 inch of the jacket and braid all around the circumference of the
cable, near its middle.

I am not sure what use this would be to a ham. Some audio cables are made
up with discontinuous shields for elimination of ground loops but I've not
seen it done for RF.

Ideas?

[email protected] September 4th 08 06:15 AM

Odd Piece of Coaxial Cable

Sal M. Onella wrote:
I recently handled an estate sale. Among the SK's posessions was a one-foot
piece of RG-8 or RG-213 which he had carefully modified by cutting away
about 3/16 inch of the jacket and braid all around the circumference of the
cable, near its middle.

I am not sure what use this would be to a ham. Some audio cables are made
up with discontinuous shields for elimination of ground loops but I've not
seen it done for RF.

Ideas?

A shielded loop.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

Sal M. Onella September 4th 08 07:11 AM

Odd Piece of Coaxial Cable

wrote in message
Sal M. Onella wrote:
I recently handled an estate sale. Among the SK's posessions was a

one-foot
piece of RG-8 or RG-213 which he had carefully modified by cutting away
about 3/16 inch of the jacket and braid all around the circumference of

the
cable, near its middle.

A shielded loop.

Thanks. Good chance that was it.

Rollie September 4th 08 07:13 AM

Odd Piece of Coaxial Cable

Take all of the sheath and the shield off and a piece like that could be
used in the making of a gamma match. Partially stripped it could have been
for a piece of test equipment or ???

Cecil Moore[_2_] September 4th 08 01:43 PM

Odd Piece of Coaxial Cable

Sal M. Onella wrote:
Among the SK's posessions was a one-foot
piece of RG-8 or RG-213 which he had carefully modified by cutting away
about 3/16 inch of the jacket and braid all around the circumference of the
cable, near its middle. I am not sure what use this would be to a ham. Ideas?

It's probably a poor-man's slotted line. A needle is
inserted through the center insulation to access the
voltage on the center conductor.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

[email protected] September 4th 08 02:12 PM

Odd Piece of Coaxial Cable

Then again, depending on how 'devious' he was, it could have been that
he wanted to leave something that would make people wonder. ;)
- 'Doc

Cecil Moore[_2_] September 4th 08 02:52 PM

Odd Piece of Coaxial Cable

Cecil Moore wrote:
Sal M. Onella wrote:
Among the SK's posessions was a one-foot
piece of RG-8 or RG-213 which he had carefully modified by cutting away
about 3/16 inch of the jacket and braid all around the circumference
of the
cable, near its middle. I am not sure what use this would be to a ham.
Ideas?

It's probably a poor-man's slotted line. A needle is
inserted through the center insulation to access the
voltage on the center conductor.

Sorry, I misunderstood the description. It is probably
part of a loop antenna.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Rollie September 4th 08 03:21 PM

Odd Piece of Coaxial Cable

Maybe he was starting to strip the outter sheath and shield to make a gamma
match. Or it could be a test gadget he was going to make.....Rollie

Tom Donaly September 4th 08 07:25 PM

Odd Piece of Coaxial Cable

Cecil Moore wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
Sal M. Onella wrote:
Among the SK's posessions was a one-foot
piece of RG-8 or RG-213 which he had carefully modified by cutting away
about 3/16 inch of the jacket and braid all around the circumference
of the
cable, near its middle. I am not sure what use this would be to a
ham. Ideas?

It's probably a poor-man's slotted line. A needle is
inserted through the center insulation to access the
voltage on the center conductor.

Sorry, I misunderstood the description. It is probably
part of a loop antenna.

What is needed, here, is a Ouija board.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH

Jim-NN7K[_2_] September 4th 08 11:24 PM

Odd Piece of Coaxial Cable

Sal M. Onella wrote:
I recently handled an estate sale. Among the SK's posessions was a one-foot
piece of RG-8 or RG-213 which he had carefully modified by cutting away
about 3/16 inch of the jacket and braid all around the circumference of the
cable, near its middle.

I am not sure what use this would be to a ham. Some audio cables are made
up with discontinuous shields for elimination of ground loops but I've not
seen it done for RF.

Ideas?

All the above have merit-- One other use- in SOME installations, there
is a requirement to do D.C. isolation - Removal ot part of the sheath,
jumpered by a Capacitor (but if that is what this for, the cap would
be in place). And, as to the first comment, such a loop would have been
used as a direction Finder (the space between the broken shields was
the "sense area of the loop, and, if remember right, you "Null" in the
direction that the "loop" is perpendicular to. - Jim NN7K