Old September 4th 08, 06:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Odd Piece of Coaxial Cable

I recently handled an estate sale. Among the SK's posessions was a one-foot
piece of RG-8 or RG-213 which he had carefully modified by cutting away
about 3/16 inch of the jacket and braid all around the circumference of the
cable, near its middle.

I am not sure what use this would be to a ham. Some audio cables are made
up with discontinuous shields for elimination of ground loops but I've not
seen it done for RF.

Ideas?

Old September 4th 08, 06:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Sal M. Onella wrote:
I recently handled an estate sale. Among the SK's posessions was a one-foot
piece of RG-8 or RG-213 which he had carefully modified by cutting away
about 3/16 inch of the jacket and braid all around the circumference of the
cable, near its middle.

I am not sure what use this would be to a ham. Some audio cables are made
up with discontinuous shields for elimination of ground loops but I've not
seen it done for RF.

Ideas?

A shielded loop.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old September 4th 08, 07:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote in message
Sal M. Onella wrote:
I recently handled an estate sale. Among the SK's posessions was a

one-foot
piece of RG-8 or RG-213 which he had carefully modified by cutting away
about 3/16 inch of the jacket and braid all around the circumference of

the
cable, near its middle.

A shielded loop.

Thanks. Good chance that was it.

Old September 4th 08, 07:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Take all of the sheath and the shield off and a piece like that could be
used in the making of a gamma match. Partially stripped it could have been
for a piece of test equipment or ???

Old September 4th 08, 01:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Sal M. Onella wrote:
Among the SK's posessions was a one-foot
piece of RG-8 or RG-213 which he had carefully modified by cutting away
about 3/16 inch of the jacket and braid all around the circumference of the
cable, near its middle. I am not sure what use this would be to a ham. Ideas?

It's probably a poor-man's slotted line. A needle is
inserted through the center insulation to access the
voltage on the center conductor.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Old September 4th 08, 02:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Then again, depending on how 'devious' he was, it could have been that
he wanted to leave something that would make people wonder.
- 'Doc
Old September 4th 08, 02:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Cecil Moore wrote:
Sal M. Onella wrote:
Among the SK's posessions was a one-foot
piece of RG-8 or RG-213 which he had carefully modified by cutting away
about 3/16 inch of the jacket and braid all around the circumference
of the
cable, near its middle. I am not sure what use this would be to a ham.
Ideas?

It's probably a poor-man's slotted line. A needle is
inserted through the center insulation to access the
voltage on the center conductor.

Sorry, I misunderstood the description. It is probably
part of a loop antenna.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Old September 4th 08, 07:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Cecil Moore wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
Sal M. Onella wrote:
Among the SK's posessions was a one-foot
piece of RG-8 or RG-213 which he had carefully modified by cutting away
about 3/16 inch of the jacket and braid all around the circumference
of the
cable, near its middle. I am not sure what use this would be to a
ham. Ideas?

It's probably a poor-man's slotted line. A needle is
inserted through the center insulation to access the
voltage on the center conductor.

Sorry, I misunderstood the description. It is probably
part of a loop antenna.

What is needed, here, is a Ouija board.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH
Old September 4th 08, 11:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Sal M. Onella wrote:
I recently handled an estate sale. Among the SK's posessions was a one-foot
piece of RG-8 or RG-213 which he had carefully modified by cutting away
about 3/16 inch of the jacket and braid all around the circumference of the
cable, near its middle.

I am not sure what use this would be to a ham. Some audio cables are made
up with discontinuous shields for elimination of ground loops but I've not
seen it done for RF.

Ideas?

All the above have merit-- One other use- in SOME installations, there
is a requirement to do D.C. isolation - Removal ot part of the sheath,
jumpered by a Capacitor (but if that is what this for, the cap would
be in place). And, as to the first comment, such a loop would have been
used as a direction Finder (the space between the broken shields was
the "sense area of the loop, and, if remember right, you "Null" in the
direction that the "loop" is perpendicular to. - Jim NN7K

Coaxial Cable considerations for HF jawod Antenna 5 April 10th 07 03:34 AM
RG-6 Coaxial Cable for Ham use Nod Dloyd Antenna 10 April 8th 07 02:13 PM
FS: RG-223/U COAXIAL CABLE W6KRC Swap 0 November 18th 06 02:46 AM
FS: Coaxial Cable AAA RF Products Swap 0 May 12th 05 10:59 PM
FS: Mil Spec RG 223/U Coaxial Cable AAA RF PRODUCTS Homebrew 0 April 30th 05 12:17 AM