Old September 12th 08, 05:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Xforce-Amp 1000 watt Mobile Linear Amplifier

http://cgi.ebay.com/Xforce-Amp-1000-...QQcmdZViewItem

FREE SHIPPING!

XFORCE WILL ROCK YOUR WORLD!

--
n8wwm mrbindwell's wife

Old September 12th 08, 05:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

KC8QJP Crisco Kathy wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Xforce-Amp-1000-...QQcmdZViewItem

FREE SHIPPING!

XFORCE WILL ROCK YOUR WORLD!

--
n8wwm mrbindwell's wife

Here is a real amp, just so you know what one looks like:

http://www.hfpower.com/new/a2000a.htm

Regards,
JS

--
loudobbs.com -- you do have the power to be informed; but, first you
have to use it.
Old September 12th 08, 05:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

you should stick to fur coats, the posting has been reported to ebay as a
violation of listing policy.

. ..

Old September 12th 08, 07:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Dave wrote:
you should stick to fur coats, the posting has been reported to ebay as a
violation of listing policy.

Actually, I run a similar amp on 10-40m in my pickup, what makes the
listing a violation? If I ever decide to get rid of it, I can't sell it
on ebay?

Regards,
JS

Old September 12th 08, 08:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

an_old_friend wrote:

it offends certain folks and ebay can't tell legal amps so the
whinners win

Wow. I am certainly no attorney, but ebay seems "ripe for picking on
that one."

I mean, if they are illegally preventing some from participating in the
God-given-right-of-capitalism, it seems like a sin; doesn't it? LOL

Regards,
JS

Old September 12th 08, 08:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"an_old_friend" wrote in message
On Sep 12, 2:14 pm, John Smith wrote:
Dave wrote:
you should stick to fur coats, the posting has been reported to ebay as
violation of listing policy.

Actually, I run a similar amp on 10-40m in my pickup, what makes the
listing a violation? If I ever decide to get rid of it, I can't sell it
on ebay?

Regards,
JS

--
loudobbs.com -- you do have the power to be informed; but, first you
have to use it.

it offends certain folks and ebay can't tell legal amps so the
whinners win

maybe you should inform ebay which ones are illegal and be a good guy to the
ham community!

Old September 12th 08, 08:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Channel Cop wrote:

it offends certain folks and ebay can't tell legal amps so the
whinners win

maybe you should inform ebay which ones are illegal and be a good guy to the
ham community!

Since the "legal" ones either have a tuned circuit with takes the output
to ground and burns up the finals if you attempt to hit 11 meters, or a
choke which cuts drive at 11 meter freqs, or both ... I don't think they
can tell at ebay!

Most truckers actually use ham equip. (or, "legal equipment"), they just
have cut out the "protections."

So in the end, what good is all of it?

And, every ham I know, knows that if you want top dollar for ancient
equipment he/she is done with--sell it to a trucker! LOL

I mean, it is sort of like the "copy protection" on movies--it doesn't
work, teenagers worldwide copy and burn movies with free software--but
the industry claims it works! Go figure ...

Regards,
JS

Old September 12th 08, 11:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

KC8QJP Crisco Kathy wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Xforce-Amp-1000-...QQcmdZViewItem

FREE SHIPPING!

XFORCE WILL ROCK YOUR WORLD!

--
n8wwm mrbindwell's wife

Where do they get "1000 Watt Amp"?

"Power Output (RMS) 350 Watts
Power Output (PEP) 650 Watts
Driven Power (RMS) 450 Watts
Driven Power (PEP) 1000 Watts"

Sounds more like an attenuator to me.
Old September 12th 08, 11:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

nitespark wrote:
Sounds more like an attenuator to me.

I once attended a CB shootout where they only measured
forward power, not power delivered to the antenna. The
higher the SWR, the better they liked it.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old September 13th 08, 12:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

nitespark wrote:

Where do they get "1000 Watt Amp"?

"Power Output (RMS) 350 Watts
Power Output (PEP) 650 Watts
Driven Power (RMS) 450 Watts
Driven Power (PEP) 1000 Watts"

Sounds more like an attenuator to me.

Yeah, screwy specs. Although I have never used this particular amp, it
probably hits full out at ~40w-80w rms. That is what the small box amp
they usually sell is for (most will have them when selling amps this
big), takes 4w to ~80w then you drive the amp ...

I have an ancient CMI (has a Palo Alto/Menlo Park address and a couple
of hams/engineers there built and sold them) which does a solid 80m-10m,
500w rms at 40w rms drive (I drive it with ~25w), pep follows the same
linear curve ... it is marked "Amateur Amplifier" on the front panel and
was purchased at an electronics surplus store in Livermore, CA in the
80's. I got it for next to nothing thinking I would have to replace one
or more of the power transistors--it was only a diode in the thermal
protection circuit which had failed ...

It seems quite legal to me, even though I know they were marketed to
CB'ers in the 70's and enjoyed widespread "diesel usage." On a scope it
puts out a beautiful signal on all the bands I have used/measured,
however, as with any high power amp, the drive signal needs to be clean
to excellent tolerances. However, I would entertain arguments on how it
is "illegal."

I am guessing, but I guess it is the fact it spans 80m to ~40 Mhz which
makes it illegal? However, when it was sold, I don't believe it was
illegal to allow amps to cover the 10m and 11m bands ... but would have
to research that now to make sure ...

Nowadays, I don't believe you can even buy an amp which covers the 10m
band ... you must first "modify" the amp ... someone more knowledgeable
on the fine points of the rules/regs would know for sure ...

My antenna on the pickup has been though h*ll, bent, dented, etc. (I
have forgotten to fold it down on low overhangs), at one time the amp
was operating into a 4+:1 SWR by the time I noticed (smelled something
getting hot, grabbed the unit behind the seat and burnt my hand!) It is
one tough amp! I run a shortened 1/2 wave with a gamma match on 40m and
a simple 10m SS whip, switchable ...

Regards,
JS