Old September 26th 08, 12:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default G5RV

Looking to buy a G5RV for 80 and 40 mtrs and maybe able to tune other bands
lots of diff brands of this antenna
can anyone suggest a manufacture
or maybe another alternative
thanx
howard

Old September 26th 08, 12:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 18:06:15 -0500, "Howard Kowall"
wrote:
or maybe another alternative

Hi Howard,

Build a dipole, and with the money you save, invest in a tuner.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old September 26th 08, 12:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Howard Kowall wrote:
Looking to buy a G5RV for 80 and 40 mtrs and maybe able to tune other bands
lots of diff brands of this antenna can anyone suggest a manufacture
or maybe another alternative

The G5RV is a 4-band antenna, 80m, 40m, 20m, and 12m. If
you care about the other 4 bands, don't go with a G5RV.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
"According to the general theory of relativity,
Old September 26th 08, 12:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

yes i have built a dipole and it works good with the manual tuner
BUT now my new rig has a built in tuner and of course it wont tune it
the dipole i built was cut for 3.747mhz and works great without a tuner
but with the auto tuner it wont tune anyware but 80mtrs
is there a magic number for a dipole to make it tunable on 80 and 40
thanx
howard

Old September 26th 08, 12:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 18:33:11 -0500, "Howard Kowall"
wrote:

yes i have built a dipole and it works good with the manual tuner
BUT now my new rig has a built in tuner and of course it wont tune it
the dipole i built was cut for 3.747mhz and works great without a tuner
but with the auto tuner it wont tune anyware but 80mtrs
is there a magic number for a dipole to make it tunable on 80 and 40
thanx
howard

Howard,

Before you go sailing off into space on the GRV check this out.

http://www.degendesigns.com/Downloads/TheEasyWay.PDF

Danny, k6mhe

Old September 26th 08, 02:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

No magic numbers, sorry 'bout that. Try hanging a 40 meter dipole
from the same feed point as the 80 meter, fed with the same feed
line. Tune/trim for use near the 40 meter frequency you want, then
use that tuner. The same thing will work for any other band you want
to add to it, and will certainly be better than a 'G5RV'.
- 'Doc
Old September 26th 08, 03:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Danny Richardson wrote:

Howard,

Before you go sailing off into space on the GRV check this out.

http://www.degendesigns.com/Downloads/TheEasyWay.PDF

Danny, k6mhe

Now that paper is an odd mix of fact and fantasy ... first time I have
ever seen that particular brand of obsfucation ...

Regards,
JS

Old September 26th 08, 05:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sep 25, 7:06*pm, "Howard Kowall" wrote:
Looking to buy a G5RV for 80 and 40 mtrs and maybe able to tune other bands
lots of diff brands of this antenna
can anyone suggest a manufacture
or maybe another alternative
thanx
howard

I have found with my G5RV that I still need to 'tune' so that my
transceiver doesn't throttle back in power due to approx. 3:1 SWR on
40/80/20 (and maybe 12). I can also tune 15, 17 and 10. However, as
mentioned elsewhere, it is only good on 80/40/20/12. The SWR on 10
without a tuner is very high and 10 with a tuner is still unusable
(also G5RV is ng for 17m).
Old September 26th 08, 06:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Howard Kowall" wrote in message
yes i have built a dipole and it works good with the manual tuner
BUT now my new rig has a built in tuner and of course it wont tune it
the dipole i built was cut for 3.747mhz and works great without a tuner
but with the auto tuner it wont tune anyware but 80mtrs
is there a magic number for a dipole to make it tunable on 80 and 40
thanx
howard

I am the only one I know who is doing this, so it may be a risky practice:
tandem tuners.

I have an autotuner in my Kenwood TS-870 and I feed some antennas through an
MFJ tuner set on "BYPASS," usually. If I encounter a situation where the
internal autotuner balks, I flip the selector to the "TUNED" side and get it
close by quickly and casually peaking the received noise (or sigs). Then I
give the autotuner another crack at it and always seems to get a match. The
coax runs are all short and I seem to be getting away with it.

I am putting up more and better antennas ASAP, but there are still some
freqs I can't cover properly, so I cover them improperly :-)

Old September 26th 08, 04:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"John Smith" wrote in message
Danny Richardson wrote:

Howard,

Before you go sailing off into space on the GRV check this out.

http://www.degendesigns.com/Downloads/TheEasyWay.PDF

Danny, k6mhe

Now that paper is an odd mix of fact and fantasy ... first time I have
ever seen that particular brand of obsfucation ...

Regards,
JS

I had a hard time separating what he actually thought from what he was
complaining about.

I find that even if go to great pains to be extremely clear and eliminate
all distractions from a document, and write for a 6th grade reading level,
only 10% will actually get it. Some will cling to a word that has special
meaning to them and go on a wild tangent and some will only get 3 or 4 words
out of it, throw away the context and quote those words.

G5RV vs. G5RV Jr. Jim Leder Antenna 15 August 25th 04 02:12 AM
G5RV Willy Dx 4 December 2nd 03 03:19 AM
G5RV Willy General 0 December 1st 03 05:34 PM
G5RV Willy Dx 0 December 1st 03 05:33 PM
Using a G5RV on 60m Antenna 0 July 11th 03 01:05 AM