Old March 8th 04, 01:50 AM
Ronald Walters

Default Steppir Beam

I am seriously considering replacing a TA-33 with a 3-element Steppir. Have
heard allot of great things but no negatives. Anyone care to comment? Your
thoughts are appreciated.

Ron W4LDE

Old March 8th 04, 01:52 AM
H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H

"Ronald Walters" wrote in message
. com...
I am seriously considering replacing a TA-33 with a 3-element Steppir.

Have
heard allot of great things but no negatives. Anyone care to comment?

Your
thoughts are appreciated.

Ron W4LDE

I have one of the first 3 element SteppIR antennas which I have disassembled
to update to a 4 element.
Also I have a BiggIR vertical on my aluminum roof.
This is a serious product.
Success has it's disadvantages in that they've been swamped from time to
time.
73
H.
NQ5H

Old March 8th 04, 03:37 AM
aunwin

Why not wait until sun spot cycle turns around. I think I would wait a few
years and then see what is on the market, it is a lot of money to spend for
bands that are presently deteriating.
Art

Old March 8th 04, 04:55 AM
Yuri Blanarovich

Why not wait until sun spot cycle turns around. I think I would wait a few
years and then see what is on the market, it is a lot of money to spend for
bands that are presently deteriating.
Art

When the bands are "deteriating", that's when you need good antenna. When bands
are good, the wet noodle will suffice. It is cheaper now than in the next
sunspot cycle.

Nothing like a "good" advice :-)

Yuri
Old March 8th 04, 05:47 AM
Old Ed

I would LOVE to have one of those! The only negatives I can think of a
1. Since there is no loading, they are FULL sized.
[I don't have the turning radius available. 8-( ]
2. They require an extra cable for the stepper motor.
If you can get past those things, ENJOY! :-)

73, Ed W6LOL

Old March 8th 04, 11:37 PM
Ronald Walters

Art - wrote
Why not wait until sun spot cycle turns around. I think I would wait a few
years and then see what is on the market, it is a lot of money to spend for
bands that are presently deteriating.

That's exactly correct, band conditions are not going to improve over the
next few years, openings will be sporadic, a good antenna is needed and
that's not to say that I have not been satisfied with the TA-33. Would
recommend that beam over all other Tri-banders on the market. On 80-40 and
30 meters I have a 40 meter Double extended center feed Zepp up 65 feet that
performs very well.

The TA-33 has been up since 1976 without one problem and still exhibits the
same SWR as when it was new. Have worked 295 countries, broken pile ups
when needed, but the WARC add on kit will add cost plus not produce one Db
of gain on 18 and 24.5 MHz. 18 MHz will be a very valuable band over the
next few years as 15 12 and 10 go out. That's the reason I am looking at the
Steppir. It gives all of the bands from 20 through 6 meters with solid
rated performance (Both forward gain and front to back). The reason I asked
earlier, is, statements like "is it to good to be true" and usually
something "that is to good to be true" is exactly "to good to be true".

I also am looking at the LP's on the market, have the leading manufacturer
right in my back yard her in central Florida and was ready to go the LP
until I heard of the Steppir. Both have the plus and negatives. The
Steppir has moving parts and motors on the top of a tower, service would be
difficult. LP's are fix but suffer in performance across the spectrum.

I have the room, the money (Saved since 1976) and ready to make a change. I
put the question out to this news group requesting inputs from other Ham's
and I do appreciate your comment and want to thank you for taking the time
to do so.

Ron - W4LDE

Old March 9th 04, 07:10 AM
Mikey

Several of the locals are using 3-el and 4-el SteppIR beams. They are
exactly as advertised. A good deal for the average (and above-average)
ham...

73,
Mike KI6PR
El Rancho R.F., CA

"Ronald Walters" wrote

Old March 9th 04, 04:41 PM
Robert Spooner

Ron,

One advantage the Stepir has is that it's frequency selective. That
means that your effective dynamic range in the presence of strong
out-of-band signals will be greater than for the same receiver using a
log periodic antenna (or using a tribander for that matter.)

73,
Bob AD3K

--
Robert L. Spooner
Registered Professional Engineer

Applied Research Laboratory Phone: (814) 863-4120
The Pennsylvania State University FAX: (814) 863-7841
P. O. Box 30
State College, PA 16804-0030

Old March 10th 04, 05:28 PM
aunwin

Yuri,
Lets face it, if he spends a $1000 for a new antenna and puts it up this
summer. It is with certaincy that he will not have more QSOs than he had
with his present antenna this pass winter When propagation is not there you
can spend even more money and still not overcome the problem. Even the
antenna that you sell would be a better choice, (Lazer beam is it called?)
if it means forking out less money.For 10 and 15 metres when there is
propagation $1000 antennas doesn't make a real difference.
Regards
Art

"Yuri Blanarovich" wrote in message

Why not wait until sun spot cycle turns around. I think I would wait a

few
years and then see what is on the market, it is a lot of money to spend

for
bands that are presently deteriating.
Art

When the bands are "deteriating", that's when you need good antenna. When

bands
are good, the wet noodle will suffice. It is cheaper now than in the next
sunspot cycle.

Nothing like a "good" advice :-)

Yuri

Advice wanted:T-match Coax Balun for Yagi Beam Steve B. Antenna 7 January 7th 04 04:30 AM
Yagi / Beam antenna theory question... Nick C Antenna 12 October 5th 03 12:15 PM
small 10 meter beam for satellite RX Bruce Antenna 5 August 7th 03 02:45 AM
Vee Beam info needed W5DXP Antenna 5 August 6th 03 07:39 AM
TA-33 Beam question GS Antenna 3 July 26th 03 04:09 PM