Old October 20th 08, 03:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Current chokes

Bill Ogden wrote:
I am the original poster of the question about the current-choke effect of
underground coax. I mentioned HF bands, with multiple coax runs (and control
cable runs) inside a 3" PVC conduit about 10" (top of PVC) underground. The
conduit is about 50' long. This is probably a very common situation.

Do I understand the sum of the comments correctly?
- A single buried coax (not inside a conduit) will experience a
significant current choke effect.
- Multiple coaxes (and other cables) inside a non-metalic conduit will
experience widely varying effects, depending on lots of parameters that
would be difficult to quantify in common usage.

One of my coax runs is for a half-sloper that is not very well matched at
any frequency. I detect no RF feedback into the shack (checking with the
little MFJ RF current meter, among other things). I had been wondering if I
should place current choke(s) on the coax on the tower, but I gather there
is probably no need for them.

Bill - W2WO

The instructions for my half-sloper (Alpha Delta DX-B) say that an RF
Choke (6-8 turns of the cable in an 8" coil) should be used at the
feedpoint (6-8 feet from the top-hat).

http://www.qrz.com/hampix/l/i/k6dil.1221924885.jpg

Old October 20th 08, 05:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 09:59:38 -0400, "Bill Ogden"
wrote:

I detect no RF feedback into the shack (checking with the
little MFJ RF current meter, among other things).

Hi Bill,

That should be the end of it, then.

I had been wondering if I
should place current choke(s) on the coax on the tower, but I gather there
is probably no need for them.

It would define a plane beyond which current is substantially reduced
which would raise the current available for contributing to radiation.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old October 20th 08, 08:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Bill Ogden" wrote in
:

I am the original poster of the question about the current-choke
effect of underground coax. I mentioned HF bands, with multiple coax
runs (and control cable runs) inside a 3" PVC conduit about 10" (top
of PVC) underground. The conduit is about 50' long. This is probably
a very common situation.

Bill,

or hints multiple cables, nor did you state the size and type of conduit.

The larger the conduit, the lower the common mode attenuation for a given
conductor size as more of the dielectric subject to the highest field
strengths is low loss air.

Do I understand the sum of the comments correctly?
- A single buried coax (not inside a conduit) will experience a
significant current choke effect.
- Multiple coaxes (and other cables) inside a non-metalic conduit
will
experience widely varying effects, depending on lots of parameters
that would be difficult to quantify in common usage.

Broadly, don't expect that multiple cables work as a single coax. I gave
some reasons in my earlier post.

One of my coax runs is for a half-sloper that is not very well matched
at any frequency. I detect no RF feedback into the shack (checking
with the little MFJ RF current meter, among other things). I had been
wondering if I should place current choke(s) on the coax on the tower,
but I gather there is probably no need for them.

The common mode current is a standing wave. (Confusing concept for some!)
That means that measuring its amplitude at one point using the "little
MFJ RF current meter" gives only a limited perspective.

Nevertheless, you have other indications that there is not a problem.
Perhaps you should leave it alone if it is working adequately.

A further benefit of a buried feedline not already mentioned is that it
does protect the conductors somewhat from radiated energy

Owen

Standing-Wave Current vs Traveling-Wave Current Cecil Moore[_2_] Antenna 823 January 27th 08 03:32 PM
Standing-Wave Current vs Traveling-Wave Current WAS rraa three-legged race Richard Clark Antenna 11 January 26th 08 02:19 AM
Standing-Wave Current vs Traveling-Wave Current WAS rraa Laugh Riot continues Richard Clark Antenna 27 January 24th 08 04:01 AM
Chokes and QRN Bill Ogden Antenna 6 September 30th 07 07:18 PM
F.S. 1 Mh Rf Chokes Rob Boatanchors 2 January 9th 05 02:09 AM