Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 18th 08, 11:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Displacement current

As a mechanical engineer I am not particularly qualified with respect
to the following so I am hoping others will discuss it so it becomes
clearer to me.
Reviewing the time of Maxwell it seems his real niche was as a
mathematician
and not necessarilly on par with Faraday, Gauss, Newton and others
that supplied the various observations and formulas with which Maxwell
worked with. From my standpoint he apparently did not give due
preference to the idea of equilibriums as did ALL of his formula
suppliers and considering his object it was not that big a deal. I
then read that the formulas that were condensed in numbers did not
exactly jive! So Maxwell, the mathematician, invented displacement
current which apparently has nothing to do with radiation according to
what I read. Apparently this same current does not create a magnetic
field as the main current does e.t.c. but in mathematical terms it
gave a conclusion to what he wanted to do. From my point of view I
find it odd that a current could flow of a time varient nature does
not include a magnetic field UNLESS the current flowed in the center
of the conductor. I am not saying that displacement current travels in
the center but I do ask those educated in this field if displacement
current has been obseved, measured and is present BEYOND DOUBT? Also
as the generation of radiation is not precisely known at this time,
how could it be said it does not contribute to radiation? Starting
from that presented to Maxwell initially, exactly how did the concept
of a time varying current traveling along a radiators surface yet
without producing a magnetic field pass muster of those who study
such?
Best regards
Art