Old December 4th 08, 04:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default information suppression by universities

JB wrote:

Sorry OM you kept dropping out.

Hmmm, "check the equipment on that end", obviously you have a loose
connection--somewhere. :-)

Regards,
JS
Old December 4th 08, 09:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

So, you're a legend in your own mind. Your reactivity by the way
indicates

No, actually not. However, as your text indicates, I "AM SOMETHING" you
don't see in your ghetto, thanks for the "heads-up." People DO tend to
be a product of their environment ... again, reflected in your text.

Regards,
JS

Environment's no excuse for bad behavior, but it is often the case. Maybe
you haven't seen any miracles in yours. They can be found even amongst
great turmoil and evil. Try to get out of your comfort zone and travel
some, even spend some time in other cultures. Jails of Mexico, Beverly
Hills, anywhere. It can be a better teacher than the classroom. I can pray
that you're eyes be opened to what you can't see.

Old December 4th 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

JB wrote:

Environment's no excuse for bad behavior, but it is often the case. Maybe
you haven't seen any miracles in yours. They can be found even amongst
great turmoil and evil. Try to get out of your comfort zone and travel
some, even spend some time in other cultures. Jails of Mexico, Beverly
Hills, anywhere. It can be a better teacher than the classroom. I can pray
that you're eyes be opened to what you can't see.

Here. Take your "Last Man Standing" award, enjoy ...

Regards,
JS
Old December 4th 08, 09:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Dec 4, 3:02*pm, "JB" wrote:
So, you're a legend in your own mind. *Your reactivity by the way

indicates

No, actually not. *However, as your text indicates, I "AM SOMETHING" you
don't see in your ghetto, thanks for the "heads-up." *People DO tend to
be a product of their environment ... again, reflected in your text.

Regards,
JS

Environment's no excuse for bad behavior, but it is often the case. *Maybe
you haven't seen any miracles in yours. *They can be found even amongst
great turmoil and evil. *Try to get out of your comfort zone and travel
some, even spend some time in other cultures. *Jails of Mexico, Beverly
Hills, anywhere. *It can be a better teacher than the classroom. *I can pray
that you're eyes be opened to what you can't see.

What on Earth is going on here? So you have a conflict?
What do you both want of each other so this can be put aside
if you so wish?
The subject was that many technical people are getting laid off.
This removes them from access to public university white papers.
After a year or so they will be encouraged to look for a alternative
career
They then find that that University white papers are not open source
to facilitate recomended change
Universities widen the Rust Belt towards both coasts. Universities
decline in services without public funds
Universities react and recruit teachers from India to prevent furthur
spread of the Rust Belt but efforts to late.
America becomes the latest Empire to bite the dust as a Mexican
becomes P=resident and encourages change
over from corn to hemp and all are happy overnight. The audacity of
hope fades away.
Old December 5th 08, 02:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Art Unwin wrote:
On Dec 4, 3:02 pm, "JB" wrote:
[...]

Phew! Stop to catch your breath Art. 8^)

Actually, I wondered what this thread was all about.

So I'll bite.

Much of what is out there is free for all.

But the source of the money for research is often from companies who
are using the research to enhance their companies position in the
marketplace.

Now we can discuss how much of a public university is actually public,
and whether or not it should all be public or not, but the background
has shifted.

Once upon a time, industry funded an amount of their assets toward
research. As time went on, some folks decided that that research money
was wasted, and was better spent giving back to the shareholders. That
was a smart move - if you couldn't see past the end of your nose.

So after it was seen that wrecking your R and D department was a great
way to become a technological backwater, they started looking for a less
expensive way to get research done. The answer was the universities. So
here we are. We can argue about whether or not it should be all open
source or not, but from industries perspective, not having the research
open to all makes sense.

Needless to say, a one paragraph dissertation of the situation is
necessarily truncated as all hell....

Not to say one way is better than any other, although personally, I
kind of liked the older paradigm of company based R and D. But the new
method sends money to the universities.

- 73 de Mike N3LI - da village idiot.........

Old December 5th 08, 02:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Michael Coslo wrote:

So after it was seen that wrecking your R and D department was a
great way to become a technological backwater, they started looking for
a less expensive way to get research done. The answer was the
universities. So here we are. We can argue about whether or not it
should be all open source or not, but from industries perspective, not
having the research open to all makes sense.
- 73 de Mike N3LI - da village idiot.........

Excellent point Mike.

When I returned to bring my degree up, the department received quite a
chunk of money from the military, and a military contractor, for
research into weapons targeting.

A sane mind does need to be in control and differentiate between TRUE
"public knowledge" and non-public knowledge ...

And, a public college should refrain from getting into the position of
competition with private industry (or, even influencing competition in
public industry)--EVEN if the money and perks are tempting. We used to
have men of such high standards, morals and ethics involved that there
was little if any controversy ... :-(

Regards,
JS
Old December 5th 08, 04:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Dec 5, 8:21*am, Michael Coslo wrote:
Art Unwin wrote:
On Dec 4, 3:02 pm, "JB" wrote:
[...]

Mike
My point is that IF the work of Universities is to be published it
should be open source
instead of giving it to a private entity. I see no point in preventing
oversite by the public at large
from seeing how their taxes are being spent. The fruits of our taxes
should not be channelled off
to prevent private institutions from going bankrupt. Private
companies can always, and do, have their own Rand D
if they want totally privacy for commercial reasons. PARTIAL funding
does not give them the right to the same
privacy. As the pool of engineers get smaller so does the disemination
of scientific information,.
Is that what America really want for the future?
Old December 5th 08, 05:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Art Unwin" wrote in message

My point is that IF the work of Universities is to be published it
should be open source
instead of giving it to a private entity.

but many universities ARE private entities. And if private funds are used
for research, or funds from industry sponsors are used, then there should be
no doubt that the funder's should decide what gets published and what they
keep private.

I see no point in preventing
oversite by the public at large
from seeing how their taxes are being spent.

have you actually gone to a public university and asked for access to their
library where such things are normally archived? personally i don't think i
need to pay to have everything done at a public university published for the
world. that would be a bigger expense than the research is actually worth
in many cases.

As the pool of engineers get smaller so does the disemination
of scientific information,.

Engineers are NOT scientists. Engineers design things that perform specific
functions, they may solve practical problems, but they are NOT the ones
doing most of the basic research type of work. At my last job they wanted
to change my job title from 'Engineer' to 'Scientist', this was a place that
DID perform research that was funded by industry, most of which was kept
private for use by the funders. I refused the job title change because I
preferred to do the practical stuff and make products for the customers that
did something useful instead of the research and experimentation and writing
reports.

Old December 5th 08, 06:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 08:55:55 -0800 (PST), Art Unwin
wrote:

I see no point in preventing
oversite by the public at large
from seeing how their taxes are being spent.

I wonder how long that sentiment would last if we demanded full
disclosure and retention of patent rights from those on the dole who
claim they are inventors?

* * * * T I L T !!!! * * * *

The question becomes: Are you willing to pay back your social
security to the taxpayers who support you?

Knowing how that answer will be evaded, avoided, denied, dismissed
(each or all with manufactured outrage suited to this Soap Opera), no,
you won't. As Perot used to say, "That dog don't hunt!"

As such, the status quo will be maintained and inventors on the dole
will keep their dignity and professors will keep their research.
Equilibrium! ;-)

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old December 8th 08, 06:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Art Unwin wrote:
On Dec 4, 3:02 pm, "JB" wrote:
[...]

Hi Art, not saying that I disagree with your sentiments, but the
paradigm shifted, and we allowed it to happen.

Bell labs is a good (bad?) example of just what happened:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_Labs

Is an interesting reference, you really should read it.

They sure came up with a lot of interesting innovations and inventions.

But what is telling is the last two sentences of the article:

Start quote

As of July 2008, however, only four scientists remained in physics basic research
according to a report by the scientific journal Nature.[4]

On August 28, 2008, Alcatel-Lucent announced it was pulling out of basic science,
material physics, and semiconductor research, and it will instead focus on more
immediately marketable areas including networking, high-speed electronics,
wireless networks, nanotechnology and software.[5]

End quote

No doubt their next quarter profits will look good. Or did. They'll have
to find something for an encore to increase the profits next quarter.
But for companies that rely on innovation and invention, they are eating
their seed corn.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

Communist Chinese Assets Have Free Run of USA Ports, Universities,and Defense Facilities Tex[_2_] Shortwave 0 July 6th 08 09:09 PM
Suppression of Spark Gap Noise Vince General 0 October 2nd 06 01:21 AM
What are the ITU rules on suppression of harmonics for MW band, as opposed to SW and FM/TV ... Max Power Broadcasting 0 April 14th 05 11:30 PM
13 cm information? Chris Digital 2 September 27th 04 03:22 AM
13 cm information? Chris Digital 0 September 27th 04 02:26 AM