Old December 31st 08, 03:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default How to estimate groundwave distance?

Predicting ground wave distances isn't exactly an 'exact' science by
any means. An 'aproximate' answer is about as good as it gets. Try
'FGQ's program with a very low and a very high efficiency number.
Average it. that'll give you a 'ball-park' figure to play with.
- 'Doc
Old December 31st 08, 10:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Since your operation seems to be NVIS rather than ground wave, I highly
recommend _Near Vertical Incidence Skywave Communication: Theory,
Techniques, and Validation_, by Fiedler and Farmer, published by
Worldradio Books. Don't know if it's still in print, but it shouldn't be
hard to find a copy on the web.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old January 10th 09, 12:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Dec 30 2008, 8:50*am, Eric wrote:
Can anyone tell me the best way to estimate the groundwave coverage
I'm likely to get on 75 meters?

___________

NEC shows this for a theoretically perfect 1/4-wave vertical monopole
system:

Frequency = 3.9 MHz
Conductivity = 5 mS/m
Applied Power = 100 watts

Groundwave Field at 10 miles = 31.7 µV/m
Groundwave Field at 20 miles = 14 µV/m

RF
Old January 10th 09, 03:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Richard Fry wrote:
On Dec 30 2008, 8:50 am, Eric wrote:
Can anyone tell me the best way to estimate the groundwave coverage
I'm likely to get on 75 meters?

___________

NEC shows this for a theoretically perfect 1/4-wave vertical monopole
system:

Frequency = 3.9 MHz
Conductivity = 5 mS/m
Applied Power = 100 watts

Groundwave Field at 10 miles = 31.7 µV/m
Groundwave Field at 20 miles = 14 µV/m

RF

Wouldn't a 200 degree vertical work better?
Old January 10th 09, 04:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jan 10, 9:06*am, Dave wrote:
Richard Fry wrote:
On Dec 30 2008, 8:50 am, Eric wrote:
NEC shows this for a theoretically perfect 1/4-wave vertical
monopole system: etc

I need to correct the values I posted earlier. I mis-read the larger
table I had constructed, which was apparent when calculating the
values for a ~200 degree vertical.

Frequency = 3.9 MHz
Conductivity = 5 mS/m
Applied Power = 100 watts

Groundwave Field at 10 miles = 131 µV/m (Correction)
Groundwave Field at 20 miles = 31.7 µV/m (Correction)

Wouldn't a 200 degree vertical work better?

Yes, by a little over 2 dB (other things equal).

Groundwave Field at 10 miles = 167 µV/m
Groundwave Field at 20 miles = 41 µV/m

RF

Old January 10th 09, 04:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Richard Fry" wrote in message
On Jan 10, 9:06 am, Dave wrote:
Richard Fry wrote:
On Dec 30 2008, 8:50 am, Eric wrote:
NEC shows this for a theoretically perfect 1/4-wave vertical
monopole system: etc

I need to correct the values I posted earlier. I mis-read the larger
table I had constructed, which was apparent when calculating the
values for a ~200 degree vertical.

I don't work the low bands enough , but I would have thought someone would
have just gave some prctical experiance instead of all the NEC stuff. Not
many hams are going to put up a 60 some foot vertical and the required
ground system for 80 meters.

Could not someone say that with horizontal dipoles about 30 feet up (or
whatever is being used) you may get so many miles ground wave and during
the day so many miles skywave and so many more at night ?

NEC and other programs are fine for predicting the coverage, but it does not
take into account all the variatables that can be answered by the
experiance of actual operations.

Old January 10th 09, 06:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 11:49:11 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

I don't work the low bands enough , but I would have thought someone would
have just gave some prctical experiance instead of all the NEC stuff. Not
many hams are going to put up a 60 some foot vertical and the required
ground system for 80 meters.

That's OK, not many hams read these threads either. They fully expect
they are doing their best, and certainly their experience proves it.

Could not someone say that with horizontal dipoles about 30 feet up (or
whatever is being used) you may get so many miles ground wave and during
the day so many miles skywave and so many more at night ?

Those same Hams that don't read these threads, and don't build 60+
foot radiators with elaborate ground systems don't realize that
horizontal antennas don't have ground waves anyway. So what coverage
they do get is perfect and they probably got an ARRL award for
horizontal antenna ground wave WAC already when they sent in the
box-top of their favorite breakfast.

NEC and other programs are fine for predicting the coverage, but it does not
take into account all the variatables that can be answered by the
experiance of actual operations.

NEC doesn't predict coverage, it is an antenna modeler, not a
propagation modeler (which would fit into your "other programs"). That
aside, these programs account for more variables than imagined by
those Hams that don't read these threads and don't build 60+ foot
radiators with elaborate ground systems. They have already had the
experience of actual operations and nothing is better than that.

So, why are we writing about those experienced, award winning Hams who
don't read these threads, expect ground wave from their horizontal
antenna, couldn't list more than one variatable and are satisfied with
sub-par to mediocre performance?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old January 10th 09, 10:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Save wrote:
"Wouldn`t a 200 degree vertical wotk better?"

Field strength versus tower height rises with height up to about 225
degrees. See Fig. 2.1 on page 80 of E.A. laport`s "Radio Antenna
Engineering".

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Old January 11th 09, 03:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Ralph Mowery wrote:

I don't work the low bands enough , but I would have thought someone would
have just gave some prctical experiance instead of all the NEC stuff. Not
many hams are going to put up a 60 some foot vertical and the required
ground system for 80 meters.

Could not someone say that with horizontal dipoles about 30 feet up (or
whatever is being used) you may get so many miles ground wave and during
the day so many miles skywave and so many more at night ?

The basic problem is that there isn't a simple answer to your question.
Any simple answer you'd get would be wrong much or most of the time.

It's safe to say that you won't get any ground wave communication at all
with a horizontal antenna, unless a vertical feedline is radiating. The
range with a vertical antenna depends on the noise level, which changes
day to day, season to season, and day to night, as well as ground
conductivity and power level. The ARRL Antenna Book gives a "typical"
ground wave range of around 60 miles at 3.5 MHz, but of course this
depends on the factors I've mentioned, among others -- it's one of those
"simple" answers.

Sky wave communication range depends on the condition of the ionosphere.
Sometimes you'll be able to communicate hundreds of miles, sometimes
zero. There is no range you can depend on. If you're interested in the
performance of a low dipole on 80 meters, I highly recommend _Near
Vertical Incidence Skywave Communication_ by Fiedler and Farmer.

NEC and other programs are fine for predicting the coverage, but it does not
take into account all the variatables that can be answered by the
experiance of actual operations.

Unfortunately, experience doesn't take into account all the variables
either. No one or group of people have experience with all possible
antennas, ground conditions, ionospheric conditions, and noise levels,
so one person's experience is likely to be different from another's.
The value of modeling is that it allows you to see which factors are
important and in what way, so you can get a better idea of what
performance you might get under your particular set of circumstances --
rather than someone else's.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL