RadioBanter

-   -   N power connector rating? (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/140056-n-power-connector-rating.html)

NoSPAM January 14th 09 06:19 AM

N power connector rating? [Gore-Tex]

"Richard Clark" wrote in message
On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 22:34:48 -0500, "NoSPAM"
wrote:

The breathability properties of Gore-Tex while still shedding water are a
result of controlled pore sizes in PTFE.

Hi Barry,

How come my Gore-tex jacket (20 years old?) leaks like a sieve?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Most likely it leaks at the seams. Gore sells a kit containing seam tape
patches with the proper adhesive to recover those seams. The loss of
"breathability" is due to the fact that the PTFE can adsorb skin oils,
grease, etc. This requires cleaning to remove the oils. You might want to
visit http://www.gore-tex.com/remote/Satel...nt/care-center for more
information. The outer fabric outer layer may occasionally need an
application of DWR (durable water repellent). It is also discussed at the
same web page.

73, Barry WA4VZQ

JB[_3_] January 14th 09 05:49 PM

N power connector rating?

JB sez "N is a 50 ohm connector, but the PL259/2O239 is a stepped
transistion and isn't even specified for impedance."

Actually, think you will find that N connectors, as well as BNC
connectors come in Several Impedences! (Not one size fits all).

Had surplus ones with center pins fit 90 ohm, and 75 ohm (no go on 50
ohm coax)! Be sure to check connector specs! Jim NN7K

Excellent point! You usually need to get specific connectors for specific
cable. Trying to get what you ordered is often the reason for surplus (or
failure). There are so many ways to goof up a communication system these
days. Come to think of it, there is far more to be considered for people to
be able to see eye to eye.

For instance, there has always been a conflict over how much supervision
should be required for the "man in the field".

ml January 14th 09 11:15 PM

N power connector rating?

In article ,
"JB" wrote:

JB sez "N is a 50 ohm connector, but the PL259/2O239 is a stepped
transistion and isn't even specified for impedance."

Actually, think you will find that N connectors, as well as BNC
connectors come in Several Impedences! (Not one size fits all).

Had surplus ones with center pins fit 90 ohm, and 75 ohm (no go on 50
ohm coax)! Be sure to check connector specs! Jim NN7K

Excellent point! You usually need to get specific connectors for specific
cable. Trying to get what you ordered is often the reason for surplus (or
failure). There are so many ways to goof up a communication system these
days. Come to think of it, there is far more to be considered for people to
be able to see eye to eye.

For instance, there has always been a conflict over how much supervision
should be required for the "man in the field".

thats interesting, thanks to everyone that responded to the
oirginal ontopic post

Glad to know I wasn't the only one having issues finding certain
values for those connectors .

i started to read pl259 folklore and heard that it was desiged
specifically to handle the higher power(HF) and while a quick look
at it does reveil a thicker connector, i sorta guess that all
it's other issues might not make it the best choise for even hf
and wanted to bounce it off you guys so thanks

my second choice was going to be continuing use of N connectors
but wanted to make sure it wasn't going to have a problem say at
full legal power on HF

I have a few DIN connectors but they are rather expensive even
surplus and ultimately requring me to use a jumper since non of
my gear actually has that

all my coax runs use N except 1 run in which i have times
microwave lmr 400 with their captivated Pl259 I have swept the coax
at time of install and every now and then afterwards it still shows
what it should and same as day 1 but it was for an experiment
not sure i'd want to use the pl259's long term

again thanks for all

ml January 14th 09 11:32 PM

N power connector rating?

In article ,
"Jerry" wrote:

"Jerry" wrote in message

"ml" wrote in message
hi

Just wondering a few things

I see the center pin on a typical N connector is pretty small

How much power could it hold at HF and also uhf/vhf
frequencies? Assuming a modern day high quality N connector??

The other thing i pondered is that it seems the don't make
Pl259/so239 connectors for hardline, so what do guys use typically for
higher power DIN?

thanks

Hi ml
Can you find this site on the Internet?
http://www.southwestmicrowave.com/mp...0for%20Coaxial
.pdf

Jerry KD6JDJ

Yes thanks for the site it's interesting and an ontopic post
but mostly not really connectors i'd use but the theories there
are relavant.

seems many have hi-jacked the thread with mostly off topic posts
regarding how to "water proof or attaching connectors etc"

Jerry[_5_] January 15th 09 12:34 AM

N power connector rating?

"ml" wrote in message
In article ,
"Jerry" wrote:

"Jerry" wrote in message

"ml" wrote in message
[...]

Hi ML

I wonder if you saw the page 116 graph of
http://www.southwestmicrowave.com/mp...0for%20Coaxial
that shows the power handling capability of the N connector.

Jerry KD6JDJ

Dave[_18_] January 15th 09 02:26 AM

N power connector rating?

Jerry wrote:

Hi ML

I wonder if you saw the page 116 graph of
http://www.southwestmicrowave.com/mp...0for%20Coaxial
that shows the power handling capability of the N connector.

Jerry KD6JDJ

"Welcome to Southwest Microwave

You have requested a page that is either obsolete or has moved.

Click here for our complete Product Catalog listing."

I think the connector can handle more power than the cable.

Jim-NN7K[_2_] January 15th 09 03:12 AM

N power connector rating?

One thing further- IF you check, you will see that the Physical
Size of a BNC (minus the connector locking outer ring) is the
same size as the N fitting! The "N" male will plug into a "BNC"
female,the BNC without its locking ring will plug into an "N"female!
There are temporary connectors to take advantage of this factor,
for testing (not permanent) connectors ! As info, Jim NN7K

ml wrote:
In article ,

Dave[_18_] January 15th 09 03:58 AM

N power connector rating?

Jim-NN7K wrote:
One thing further- IF you check, you will see that the Physical
Size of a BNC (minus the connector locking outer ring) is the
same size as the N fitting! The "N" male will plug into a "BNC"
female,the BNC without its locking ring will plug into an "N"female!
There are temporary connectors to take advantage of this factor,
for testing (not permanent) connectors ! As info, Jim NN7K

I knew that. I have a home-made pair that I use from time-to-time in
the lab.

Jerry[_5_] January 15th 09 04:16 AM

N power connector rating?

Hi Dave

I must have ,made a mistake when copying that link. This one shows me
that a N connector will handle over a KW average at frequencies "ML" is
considering.
http://www.southwestmicrowave.com/mp...%20Coaxial.pdf

Jerry KD6JDJ

Richard Clark January 15th 09 05:39 AM

N power connector rating?

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 04:16:45 GMT, "Jerry"
wrote:

Hi Dave

I must have ,made a mistake when copying that link. This one shows me
that a N connector will handle over a KW average at frequencies "ML" is
considering.
http://www.southwestmicrowave.com/mp...%20Coaxial.pdf

Jerry KD6JDJ

Hi Jerry,

Thanx for the link. Good material and answers a lot questions
typically put to the group on this topic.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC