Old January 15th 09, 08:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default N power connector rating?

"ml" wrote in message
hi

Just wondering a few things

I see the center pin on a typical N connector is pretty small

How much power could it hold at HF and also uhf/vhf
frequencies? Assuming a modern day high quality N connector??

snip

The Bird 43 Wattmeter has Type N connectors on it. The Bird web site says,
"Accurate CW field power measurement over 450 kHz to 2.7 GHz and 100 mW to
10 KW."

That's good enough for me to say "10 KW."

Old January 15th 09, 02:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jerry wrote:
Hi Dave

I must have ,made a mistake when copying that link. This one shows me
that a N connector will handle over a KW average at frequencies "ML" is
considering.
http://www.southwestmicrowave.com/mp...%20Coaxial.pdf

Jerry KD6JDJ

Good for legal power to 2600 MHz. There ain't an RG8 cable made that'll
do near that. Maybe 7/8" "Heliax" style line.

http://www.rfparts.com/coax_specs.html
Old January 15th 09, 08:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Dave" wrote in message
m...
Jim-NN7K wrote:
One thing further- IF you check, you will see that the Physical
Size of a BNC (minus the connector locking outer ring) is the
same size as the N fitting! The "N" male will plug into a "BNC"
female,the BNC without its locking ring will plug into an "N"female!
There are temporary connectors to take advantage of this factor,
for testing (not permanent) connectors ! As info, Jim NN7K

I knew that. I have a home-made pair that I use from time-to-time in
the lab.

If you don't mind GRONKING the BNC fem on your test equipment. Very
naughty!

Once you do "N" you can't go back.

Old January 16th 09, 03:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

JB wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
m...
Jim-NN7K wrote:
One thing further- IF you check, you will see that the Physical
Size of a BNC (minus the connector locking outer ring) is the
same size as the N fitting! The "N" male will plug into a "BNC"
female,the BNC without its locking ring will plug into an "N"female!
There are temporary connectors to take advantage of this factor,
for testing (not permanent) connectors ! As info, Jim NN7K

I knew that. I have a home-made pair that I use from time-to-time in
the lab.

If you don't mind GRONKING the BNC fem on your test equipment. Very
naughty!

Once you do "N" you can't go back.

???

I busted the rings off plain old 50 Ohm BNC cables, at the far end. How
does this threaten my Rohde and Schwarz? We never use N cables. We
"permanently" adapt any N fittings to BNC. I made the cables to test a
75 MHz transmitter with reverse thread TNC fittings. How many people
keep reverse thread TNC cables around?
Old January 16th 09, 03:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Dave wrote:

???

http://nocat.net/connectors.html

Old January 16th 09, 09:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

The "N" male will plug into a "BNC"
female,the BNC without its locking ring will plug into an "N"female!

The N male pin is usually larger than the BNC fem center receptacle. This
results in a BNC female with increased loss or breakage due to fatigue.
This was known in the extended technical community of my experience as a
GRONK!

Old January 16th 09, 11:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message , Dave
writes
JB wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
m...
Jim-NN7K wrote:
[...]

Unless I'm losing the plot, the 'innards' of 50 ohm N and BNC connectors
are compatible, and can be mated. This is NOT true for 75 ohm versions.

For N-connectors, there is a noticeable difference in the diameters of
the male pin and the female receptacle (?). The diameter of the 75 ohm
is much less than that of the 50 ohm. If you insert a 50 ohm male into a
75 ohm female, you will splay the leaves and almost certainly case
irreparable damage. However, if you insert a 75 ohm male into a 50 ohm
female, it won't make contact (unless you first cunningly insert a short
piece of wire into the female).

For BNC connectors, 50 ohm CAN mate with 75 ohm, and vice versa. This is
because the dimensions are essentially identical (although the 75 ohm
male pin is sometimes more tapered). The difference of impedance is
achieved mainly by having much less PTFE dielectric in the 75 ohm
version.

As the 50 and 75 ohm BNC male pin is the same diameter as the 50 ohm N
male pin, you must never insert either a 50 or 75 ohm BNC male into a 75
ohm N female. However, you CAN insert a 50 ohm N male into either a 50
or 75 ohm BNC female. However, if you insert a 75 ohm N male into either
a 50 or 75 ohm BNC female, it almost certainly won't make contact.
--
Ian
Old January 17th 09, 02:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
- snip -.

[...]

So refreshing to see someone stating it correctly when all around there are
folk who harbour mistaken beliefs that 50 and 75 ohm BNC pins have different
mating diameters. What I find odd is that so many people who claim the
contrary appear to have unshakable belief, almost like a religion,
irrespective of what the manufacturers' engineering drawings actually show.

Chris

Old January 17th 09, 05:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

A few measurements out of the bag:

N males

UG-21B/U 74868 (used) .068"
RFI RFN-1007 .065"
CPN-1 .065"

BNC males

AMP BNC59PC .053"
Amphenol 68175 .050"
RFI RFB-1106-2 .053"

Can we see a trend yet or should I continue?
Old January 17th 09, 11:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

JB wrote:
The "N" male will plug into a "BNC"
female,the BNC without its locking ring will plug into an "N"female!

The N male pin is usually larger than the BNC fem center receptacle. This
results in a BNC female with increased loss or breakage due to fatigue.
This was known in the extended technical community of my experience as a
GRONK!

Like I said, we "permanently" adapt N to BNC inside the lab. I've never
used an N in a situation where a BNC wouldn't have worked*. I guess the
threads make the connection more permanent, but now we have the TNC for
that.

*Check that. I did need a 75 Ohm N jumper once to get from a 7/8" line
to the back of a Moseley STL receiver.