Old January 12th 09, 01:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Sun Spots During an Ice Age?

There were very few sunspots during the last "Little Ice Age"
from about 1645 to 1715. Might we be entering another one?

http://science.nasa.gov/ssl/pad/sola...ssn_yearly.jpg

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/...le_new_ic.html

http://english.pravda.ru/science/ear...arth_ice_age-0
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old January 12th 09, 02:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
There were very few sunspots during the last "Little Ice Age"
from about 1645 to 1715. Might we be entering another one?

http://science.nasa.gov/ssl/pad/sola...ssn_yearly.jpg

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/...le_new_ic.html

http://english.pravda.ru/science/ear...arth_ice_age-0
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

------------

That has been on my mind also. We do having a significant slowing of the
current known as the Atlantic Conveyor over the last several years. That
does not bode well for Europe/England just by itself.

I was looking forward to one more active sunspot cycle before I died (I'm a
six meter fan), but it doesn't appear that we are going to have one, if
present trends continue.

Of course, just when you think you have Mother Nature all figured out - she
comes out of left field with some new phenomenon that catches us by
surprise. For instance, the Yellowstone super caldera. If that were to
erupt, it would mean an Ice Age for sure. Or would it?

Ed, N2ECW

Old January 12th 09, 03:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Cecil,

We might indeed be approaching a Dalton Minimum, if not a full scale
Maunder Minimum. Much like AGW, there is a strong East-West dichotomy
in predictions. The NASA-ESA solar gurus have in the past been
predicting a good cycle 24 followed by a poor cycle 25. By contrasts,
the Russians have been predicting that cycle 24 and 25 will be very
low. The NASA predictions out of MSFC seem to be converging toward
the Russian values. We shall see.

Somewhat OT, but last year I taught a General Class license course.
The standard illustrations of the sunspot cycle are basically good and
better. I added in some historical data showing the Dalton and
Maunder Minima. It was fun to watch the wide eyes.

--
Alan
WA4SCA
Old January 12th 09, 07:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Cecil Moore wrote:
There were very few sunspots during the last "Little Ice Age"
from about 1645 to 1715. Might we be entering another one?

http://science.nasa.gov/ssl/pad/sola...ssn_yearly.jpg

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/...le_new_ic.html

http://english.pravda.ru/science/ear...arth_ice_age-0

Ice ages are liberal scare tactics! 8^)

Seriously, I think we're going to need more of a sample than just one
Maunder minimum. Check back with me in another 50 years, and we'll
discuss.......

- 73 d eMike N3LI -

Old January 12th 09, 07:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Ed Cregger wrote:

That has been on my mind also. We do having a significant slowing of the
current known as the Atlantic Conveyor over the last several years. That
does not bode well for Europe/England just by itself.

I was looking forward to one more active sunspot cycle before I died (I'm a
six meter fan), but it doesn't appear that we are going to have one, if
present trends continue.

Of course, just when you think you have Mother Nature all figured out - she
comes out of left field with some new phenomenon that catches us by
surprise. For instance, the Yellowstone super caldera. If that were to
erupt, it would mean an Ice Age for sure. Or would it?

Anyone keeping tabs on the earthquake activity in Yellowstone?

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/yvo/

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

Old January 12th 09, 08:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Michael Coslo" wrote in message
Ed Cregger wrote:

That has been on my mind also. We do having a significant slowing of the
current known as the Atlantic Conveyor over the last several years. That
does not bode well for Europe/England just by itself.

I was looking forward to one more active sunspot cycle before I died (I'm
a six meter fan), but it doesn't appear that we are going to have one, if
present trends continue.

Of course, just when you think you have Mother Nature all figured out -
she comes out of left field with some new phenomenon that catches us by
surprise. For instance, the Yellowstone super caldera. If that were to
erupt, it would mean an Ice Age for sure. Or would it?

Anyone keeping tabs on the earthquake activity in Yellowstone?

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/yvo/

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

-------------

Somewhat. That would definitely bring on an Ice Age, should it have a full
scale eruption. Never a boring moment.

Ed, N2ECW

Old January 12th 09, 09:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 07:37:34 -0600, Cecil Moore
wrote:

There were very few sunspots during the last "Little Ice Age"
from about 1645 to 1715. Might we be entering another one?

Just one of many predictions for the demise of civilization:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risks_to_civilization,_humans_and_planet_Earth

Personally, I think a random asteroid impact, will trigger mass
retaliation by a paranoid military, guessing that it's a missile
attack. The explosions will cause one of several super volcanoes to
erupt, resulting in global famine and precipitate another ice age. the
resultant earthquakes will precipitate tsunami's, pandemics, and 3rd
party politics. After a few thousand years for the planet to recover,
the dinosaurs will return, take over, and devour the survivors. The
date of this event is probably one of the following:
http://www.bible.ca/pre-date-setters.htm
2012 seems to be the consensus. Please mark your calendar.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old January 12th 09, 10:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 09:22:57 -0500, Ed Cregger wrote:

I was looking forward to one more active sunspot cycle before I died
(I'm a six meter fan), but it doesn't appear that we are going to have
one, if present trends continue.

The sun is fine. There is nothing extraordinary nor remarkable about
this minimum.
Old January 12th 09, 10:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

[...]

We should be so lucky...
Old January 13th 09, 01:34 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Dave wrote:
The sun is fine. There is nothing extraordinary nor remarkable about
this minimum.

Here's a quote from the web:

"The most recent minimum was in March last year. The new cycle,
No.24, was supposed to start soon after that, with a gradual
build-up in sunspot numbers. It didn't happen. That the rapid
temperature decline in 2007 coincided with the failure of cycle
No.24 to begin on schedule is not proof of a causal connection
but it is cause for concern."
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Waiting for 'spots... Scott in Baltimore CB 3 September 30th 08 10:17 PM
Filtering DX spots Rick Dx 2 April 27th 07 09:16 PM
SMS Cluster Spots. GARY CLAYTON Dx 2 April 6th 04 09:20 PM