Old January 22nd 09, 04:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Receiving Loop Antenna Question

If i were to construct a square receiving loop antenna for the am bcb that
is 24" or more per side..... how important would the guage of the wire be &
also solid versus stranded wire? Antenna would be used indoors.

Old January 22nd 09, 05:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Spin" wrote in message
If i were to construct a square receiving loop antenna for the am bcb that
is 24" or more per side..... how important would the guage of the wire be
& also solid versus stranded wire? Antenna would be used indoors.

Hi Spin
Have you seen this site?
http://www.mindspring.com/~loop_antenna/

Jerry KD6JDJ

Old January 22nd 09, 04:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Spin wrote:
If i were to construct a square receiving loop antenna for the am bcb that
is 24" or more per side..... how important would the guage of the wire be &
also solid versus stranded wire? Antenna would be used indoors.

Any wire you can comfortably work with is fine.
Old January 23rd 09, 03:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jan 21, 9:57*pm, "Spin" wrote:
If i were to construct a square receiving loop antenna for the am bcb that
is 24" or more per side..... how important would the guage of the wire be &
also solid versus stranded wire? Antenna would be used indoors.

Doesn't matter much. Maybe a slight difference in Q with thin
vs fat wire, but overall no big deal.
I've got loops made from thin copper motor wire, and also
one from insulated #14 gauge stranded house wire. They all work.
From a mechanical standpoint I think a diamond is easier
to deal with..
Here is one of my favorite designs for a cheap simple PVC
loop. You can slap one together pretty fast. Kind of like PVC
tinker toys.. :/ You do have to drill the holes, but that's easy.
http://home.comcast.net/~nm5k/loop5.jpg

Old January 23rd 09, 09:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message
,
writes
On Jan 21, 9:57*pm, "Spin" wrote:
If i were to construct a square receiving loop antenna for the am bcb that
is 24" or more per side..... how important would the guage of the wire be &
also solid versus stranded wire? Antenna would be used indoors.

Doesn't matter much. Maybe a slight difference in Q with thin
vs fat wire, but overall no big deal.
I've got loops made from thin copper motor wire, and also
one from insulated #14 gauge stranded house wire. They all work.
From a mechanical standpoint I think a diamond is easier
to deal with..
Here is one of my favorite designs for a cheap simple PVC
loop. You can slap one together pretty fast. Kind of like PVC
tinker toys.. :/ You do have to drill the holes, but that's easy.
http://home.comcast.net/~nm5k/loop5.jpg

What about ribbon cable? I've got a fair length of ribbon cable
(something like 25 wires - the sort used in PCs to connect hard drives
and the like) put away for a rainy-day loop antenna project. While I
could make one large loop using all 25 wires for the really low
frequencies, I'll almost certainly cut it up and make several smaller
loops with fewer wires for the higher frequencies.
--
Ian

Old January 23rd 09, 01:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Ian Jackson wrote:
In message
,
writes
On Jan 21, 9:57 pm, "Spin" wrote:
If i were to construct a square receiving loop antenna for the am bcb
that
is 24" or more per side..... how important would the guage of the
wire be &
also solid versus stranded wire? Antenna would be used indoors.

Doesn't matter much. Maybe a slight difference in Q with thin
vs fat wire, but overall no big deal.
I've got loops made from thin copper motor wire, and also
one from insulated #14 gauge stranded house wire. They all work.
From a mechanical standpoint I think a diamond is easier
to deal with..
Here is one of my favorite designs for a cheap simple PVC
loop. You can slap one together pretty fast. Kind of like PVC
tinker toys.. :/ You do have to drill the holes, but that's easy.
http://home.comcast.net/~nm5k/loop5.jpg

What about ribbon cable? I've got a fair length of ribbon cable
(something like 25 wires - the sort used in PCs to connect hard drives
and the like) put away for a rainy-day loop antenna project. While I
could make one large loop using all 25 wires for the really low
frequencies, I'll almost certainly cut it up and make several smaller
loops with fewer wires for the higher frequencies.

Or put some taps on it,say every 2 turns? each one connected to a pole
of a large 12 position rotary switch.. then you can select a small
loop,or a really large one,for the low stuff. :-) Tuneable!
Old January 23rd 09, 02:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Ian Jackson wrote:
In message
,
writes
On Jan 21, 9:57 pm, "Spin" wrote:
If i were to construct a square receiving loop antenna for the am bcb
that
is 24" or more per side..... how important would the guage of the
wire be &
also solid versus stranded wire? Antenna would be used indoors.

Doesn't matter much. Maybe a slight difference in Q with thin
vs fat wire, but overall no big deal.
I've got loops made from thin copper motor wire, and also
one from insulated #14 gauge stranded house wire. They all work.
From a mechanical standpoint I think a diamond is easier
to deal with..
Here is one of my favorite designs for a cheap simple PVC
loop. You can slap one together pretty fast. Kind of like PVC
tinker toys.. :/ You do have to drill the holes, but that's easy.
http://home.comcast.net/~nm5k/loop5.jpg

What about ribbon cable? I've got a fair length of ribbon cable
(something like 25 wires - the sort used in PCs to connect hard drives
and the like) put away for a rainy-day loop antenna project. While I
could make one large loop using all 25 wires for the really low
frequencies, I'll almost certainly cut it up and make several smaller
loops with fewer wires for the higher frequencies.

Stick with a single wire and relatively few loops. More wire won't make
the loop bigger, just harder to tune.
Old January 23rd 09, 03:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 13:57:40 +0000, dave wrote:
Ian Jackson wrote:

What about ribbon cable? I've got a fair length of ribbon cable
(something like 25 wires - the sort used in PCs to connect hard drives
and the like) put away for a rainy-day loop antenna project. While I
could make one large loop using all 25 wires for the really low
frequencies, I'll almost certainly cut it up and make several smaller
loops with fewer wires for the higher frequencies.

Stick with a single wire and relatively few loops. More wire won't make
the loop bigger, just harder to tune.

I don't think he meant to connect all those wires in parallel.
But, it would be a little tedious to connect each wire at one end to its
neighbor at the other end (of the loop), and _not_ create an ugly bird's
nest at the 'joint'.

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
Old January 23rd 09, 04:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Allodoxaphobia wrote:
I don't think he meant to connect all those wires in parallel.

I thought he was talking about a tapped coil with
the unused parts floating. Might result in a new
Tesla coil design. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old January 23rd 09, 04:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Ian Jackson wrote:

What about ribbon cable? I've got a fair length of ribbon cable
(something like 25 wires - the sort used in PCs to connect hard drives
and the like) put away for a rainy-day loop antenna project. While I
could make one large loop using all 25 wires for the really low
frequencies, I'll almost certainly cut it up and make several smaller
loops with fewer wires for the higher frequencies.

Stick with a single wire and relatively few loops. More wire won't make
the loop bigger, just harder to tune.

I don't think he meant to connect all those wires in parallel.
But, it would be a little tedious to connect each wire at one end to its
neighbor at the other end (of the loop), and _not_ create an ugly bird's
nest at the 'joint'.

Jonesy

Hi Jonesy

For what Its Worth, I tried making a big AM reception loop using some big
ribbon cable, and it didnt work. The cable was/is color coded so it was
easy to connect the ends so the input to output is a series connection of
the wires. The antenna didnt work. I assummed it was due to excessive
'distributed capacity' between windings. I had no interest in researching
the reason for ribbon cable use for AM loop antennas. Besides, it got Very
difficult to assemble the loop onto the mounting frame and have it look
presentable.