Old February 16th 09, 07:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Digital TV Antenna Design

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:

Are the GPS coordinates for the transmitting antenna
available anywhere? I called the local TV station
and they don't know the coordinates for their
transmitting antenna.

I'd be surprised if they gave them to you if they had them. Publishing the
exact location may be a security risk.

Geoff.

It's totally a matter of public record. You'd have to be really
paranoid crazy to try to hide something that sends out a Megawatt homing
beacon 24/7.

Old February 16th 09, 08:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
I'd be surprised if they gave them to you if they had them. Publishing the
exact location may be a security risk.

Then how can I aim my antenna while on top of a tower
with no one to assist me?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old February 16th 09, 08:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

dave wrote:
I'm not sure what "GPS coordinates" means, but this site will draw you a
map and give you regular coordinates:

http://www.fccinfo.com

Does one have to download Google Earth?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old February 16th 09, 09:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Cecil Moore wrote:
Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
I'd be surprised if they gave them to you if they had them. Publishing the
exact location may be a security risk.

Then how can I aim my antenna while on top of a tower
with no one to assist me?

However a location such as" 5 miles east of town on the Interstate"
is good enough to aim the antenna, but may be obscure enough to prevent
vandalism, theft, etc.

Geoff.

Old February 16th 09, 09:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message , Geoffrey S.
Mendelson writes
Cecil Moore wrote:
Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
I'd be surprised if they gave them to you if they had them. Publishing the
exact location may be a security risk.

Then how can I aim my antenna while on top of a tower
with no one to assist me?

However a location such as" 5 miles east of town on the Interstate"
is good enough to aim the antenna, but may be obscure enough to prevent
vandalism, theft, etc.

It's pretty hard to keep secret the location of (say) a 1000 foot TV
transmitter mast!
--
Ian
Old February 16th 09, 09:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Cecil Moore wrote:
dave wrote:
I'm not sure what "GPS coordinates" means, but this site will draw you
a map and give you regular coordinates:

http://www.fccinfo.com

Does one have to download Google Earth?

Negative. That is one of several options but you don't have to use it
if you don't want to.
Old February 16th 09, 10:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 18:24:07 +0000 (UTC), (Geoffrey
S. Mendelson) wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Same here. Back in the 1970's, I lived in Israel for a while. In the
cities, everyone lived in big apartment complexes. Nobody watched the
official Israeli stations. The good programming was on the various
Arab stations, which were diverse, distant, and politically incorrect.
There was no cable TV (because the government didn't want to make it
easy to watch the Arab stations) so every apartment had its own
collection of antennas. Typical was a 3 meter pole with at least 4
yagis. Multiply that by at least 4 apartments per building and the
roof tops looked like an aluminum forest.

Those days are gone, we have cable TV, DBS TV and streaming video on the
Internet. In the cities the antennas remain, no one wants to pay the money
to remove them. Eventually it will be necessary to repair the roofs under them
and take them down.

Yes, I know. The real problem with the antenna clutter is that there
was some shading of the ubiquitous solar water heaters also on the
same rooftops. While trying to repair one of the antennas, I stepped
on the glass collector and cracked it. Oops.

Incidentally, I recall that most of the roofs were poured concrete
which could probably withstand a mortar attack. I doubt if they will
require much repair.

While in Israel, I had the bright idea of starting a company to
provide cable TV. I went to the Ministry of the Post (now called
Ministry of Communications), asked about the regulatory details, and
was immediately detained as some manner of spy or subversive.
Apparently, CATV was rather unpopular with the government at the time.
I had to be rescued by my relatives. Sometime in the 1980's, Israel
established the Council for CATV and Satellite Broadcasting, who's
primary purpose was to obstruct deployment. That changed after one of
the changes of government, which suspected that there would be less
rioting in the streets, if people stayed home and watched TV.
http://www.moc.gov.il

At the time, I had been in the US 2way radio biz, so I decided that
Israel might benefit from a commercial radio company. I went back to
the Ministry of the Post, inquired about licensing, and was again
detained as a spy or something. I was again rescued by the relatives.
At the time, during essentially a war time economy, there was no
commercial radio service. That also has changed, but at the time, the
only radio communications was government, military, and ham radio.

We are also supposed to have digital terrestrial TV in a few months, but instead
of each station having various programs, there will be multiple channels
on the same frequency.

We have the same thing here. At this time (before the demise of
analog in June), TV stations are broadcasting one 6 MHz channel of
analog. They were also granted a 2nd 6Mhz channel for digital, which
carries 1 to 4 digital channels. Usually it's a clone of the analog
channel, a Spanish language version, continuous news, and something
else. For a while, one station had one channel with a DTV camera
scanning the scenery around their transmitter building. It was one of
the few things worth watching, but alas, it went away.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Old February 16th 09, 10:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 12:32:51 -0600, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Are the GPS coordinates for the transmitting antenna
available anywhere? I called the local TV station
and they don't know the coordinates for their
transmitting antenna.

Sure. It's on the FCC page for the station.
Start he
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/video/tvq.html
Inscribe the call sign in the call sign box.

For example, this is the results for KNTV:
http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?list=0&facid=35280

Incidentally, I've tried to obtain transmitter locations, power line
routes, water line routes, location of telco central offices, and
other utility information from the operators at various times. After
2001, the standard answer is that it would compromise their security
if such information was disclosed. Sigh.

Old February 16th 09, 11:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

Are the GPS coordinates for the transmitting antenna
available anywhere? I called the local TV station
and they don't know the coordinates for their
transmitting antenna.

Sure. It's on the FCC page for the station.
Start he
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/video/tvq.html
Inscribe the call sign in the call sign box.

For example, this is the results for KNTV:
http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?list=0&facid=35280

The Cavell Mertz web page does a much more elegant job than the FCC's:

http://www.fccinfo.com/CMDProEngine....Number=1087036

The info is identical.