Old March 10th 09, 07:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Testing at higher frequencies

Does anyone know if there's a way I could test using an analyzer that
does about 50-500 MHz, but at a 1000-ish frequency? I need to test
something in that area, but I don't have equipment that will go that
high. Seems like any analyzer that goes that high is thousands of
dollars. Does anyone know if there's somebody that rents Anritsus in
SoCal maybe? Any suggestions are welcome. I mainly just need to do
SWR.

Thanks,
Old March 10th 09, 09:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote in message
Does anyone know if there's a way I could test using an analyzer that
does about 50-500 MHz, but at a 1000-ish frequency? I need to test
something in that area, but I don't have equipment that will go that
high. Seems like any analyzer that goes that high is thousands of
dollars. Does anyone know if there's somebody that rents Anritsus in
SoCal maybe? Any suggestions are welcome. I mainly just need to do
SWR.

Thanks,

Do you have an amateur radio license? There are clubs in the Southern
California area.

Jerry KD6JDJ

Old March 10th 09, 11:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I did find Electrorents. $700 for a month... I didn't think it would
be that much. It's mainly just for basic stuff, like SWR. I'm not a
ham. Seems like anything that goes past 500 MHz is really expensive.
Old March 11th 09, 01:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:
I did find Electrorents. $700 for a month... I didn't think it would
be that much. It's mainly just for basic stuff, like SWR. I'm not a
ham. Seems like anything that goes past 500 MHz is really expensive.

What kind of power? You can use a Bird meter for VSWR.

Old March 11th 09, 01:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

http://birdtechnologies.thomasnet.co...ers?&forward=1
Old March 11th 09, 11:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

A couple of options here. Not knowing your actual need for accuracy etc
makes it hard to guess!

From my standpoint I'd probably just adjust an antenna for max field
strength but if I wanted actual VSWR meaurement or minimizing same I'd
probably use a directioinal coupler and a sensitive voltmeter.

A DC is essentially the active component of a power/VSWR measuring
device. AT 1GHz I have seen PCB designs with SMA connectors that you
just put in circuit, measure the volts, reverse its direction, measure
the volts again and calculate the VSWR. Pretty simple and cheap stuff.
The biggest problem is preserving the impedance across the DC device
itself. You can use teflon PC board for example to help out on this. You
will also need to think about the calibration of the thing because the
diode is not a linear device and needs some volts to get over the
forward drop. You can also DC bias it but those components will affect
accuracy over temperature change etc.

Still a good general purpose tool though. You can even make loads that
would look like known impedances to calibrate the thing.

Have a look around for these. You'll be impressed by the low price. They
are after all just a lump of PCB, two connectors, a microwave diode and
a filter cap! You'll have to supply your own voltmeter!

Cheers Bob VK2YQA

Old March 11th 09, 06:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Thanks guys... Some of these ideas might work. Sorry, I should have
given more details... It's basically receive antennas in the 1000 MHz
range, and I don't have access to the transmitters that will be used
with them. I'm just trying to find a way to see where they're tuned
and then be able to tune them if they're off. So if I went with an SWR
meter, maybe there's an easy way to generate a signal to use that? I
have an Autek that goes to 500 MHz. Somebody mentioned using a
frequency doubler, but I'm not sure how that would work.
Old March 11th 09, 07:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote in message
Thanks guys... Some of these ideas might work. Sorry, I should have
given more details... It's basically receive antennas in the 1000 MHz
range, and I don't have access to the transmitters that will be used
with them. I'm just trying to find a way to see where they're tuned
and then be able to tune them if they're off. So if I went with an SWR
meter, maybe there's an easy way to generate a signal to use that? I
have an Autek that goes to 500 MHz. Somebody mentioned using a
frequency doubler, but I'm not sure how that would work.

Hi

It has been my experience that the input impedance to the antenna can be
fairly well predictated by EZNEC is you are able to describe the antenna to
the program.

Jerry KD6JDJ

Higher antenna? W5GT Antenna 3 November 3rd 05 06:19 PM
The HIGHER the BETTER Charlie Antenna 15 February 18th 05 04:30 AM
The HIGHER the BETTER Charlie Dx 15 February 18th 05 04:30 AM
The HIGHER the BETTER Charlie Equipment 15 February 18th 05 04:30 AM
Good night for higher frequencies? Tony Meloche Shortwave 1 December 3rd 03 02:27 AM