Old March 12th 09, 04:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default "Super Cantenna"

Has anyone had any luck with these? the ones from Wireless Garden
I got one, and no matter how i turn it, I get very weak signal. my
target is about 400' away line of sight, except my friends ap is not
right in the window (i can see the window from my window).

I'm using an ALFA AWUS036H 500mW usb adaper with a RP-SMA.
the cantenna claims 12 dBi, and has a 3' cable with RP-SMA
the ap, has just the built in antennas (belkin)

I can get a week signal, but I get just as good or better with my 2
dBi omni!

do to the card being hi power the ap can hear everything but the ALPA
Rx SNR must be very low.

thanks in advance
-Jason
Old March 12th 09, 04:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mar 12, 12:19*am, Jason wrote:
Has anyone had any luck with these? the ones from Wireless Garden
I got one, and no matter how i turn it, I get very weak signal. my
target is about 400' away line of sight, except my friends ap is not
right in the window (i can see the window from my window).

I'm using an ALFA AWUS036H 500mW usb adaper with a RP-SMA.
the cantenna claims 12 dBi, and has a 3' cable with RP-SMA
the ap, has just the built in antennas (belkin)

I can get a week signal, but I get just as good or better with my 2
dBi omni!

do to the card being hi power the ap can hear everything but the ALPA
Rx SNR must be very low.

thanks in advance
-Jason

A lot of the new double pane windows have a metalize layer in them
that blocks RF very effectivly. Raising my window and removing the
screen is requiire for me acces my AP from outdoors.

Jimmie
Old March 12th 09, 06:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mar 12, 12:19*am, Jason wrote:
Has anyone had any luck with these? the ones from Wireless Garden
I got one, and no matter how i turn it, I get very weak signal. my
target is about 400' away line of sight, except my friends ap is not
right in the window (i can see the window from my window).

I'm using an ALFA AWUS036H 500mW usb adaper with a RP-SMA.
the cantenna claims 12 dBi, and has a 3' cable with RP-SMA
the ap, has just the built in antennas (belkin)

I can get a week signal, but I get just as good or better with my 2
dBi omni!

do to the card being hi power the ap can hear everything but the ALPA
Rx SNR must be very low.

I'm sorry, no answer to your question, I just think it's funny,
remembering the Heath Cantenna, that someone expects a Cantenna to
actually radiate a signal.

Back 30 years ago when I was a novice, I remember accidentally leaving
my Cantenna hooked up instead of my real antenna and working a couple
of JA's with it. 15M really was wide-open to Japan every afternoon
back then!

Tim.

Old March 12th 09, 10:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mar 12, 11:57*am, Tim Shoppa wrote:

I'm sorry, no answer to your question, I just think it's funny,
remembering the Heath Cantenna, that someone expects a Cantenna to
actually radiate a signal.

I have a Heath Cantenna too, but the WiFi folks mean a different thing
with
that term -- a 2.4 GHz waveguide antenna made from a Pringles (tm)
can.
Unfortunately, that cantenna of the second kind has almost no gain.
It needs
a much larger aperture to make that gain than the 3-inch diameter of a
foil-
covered paper tube. That can be had by attaching a larger, metallic
funnel
to the mouth of the antenna to form the typical microwave horn
antenna.
See any reputable antenna text book for design details.

Jim, K7JEB, Glendale, AZ
Old March 12th 09, 11:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

a much larger aperture to make that gain than the 3-inch diameter of a
foil-
covered paper tube. *That can be had by attaching a larger, metallic
funnel

Its odd because the dia. is only 85mm where the homemade ones say
100mm +/- 10mm.
also the 3' wire is very skinny (don't know what one it is). About a
thin as a pencil lead.
and also there's a tripod mount that has a bolt inside that blocks the
lower 7-8mm of the antenna.

as for the windows, tested (on my end), there not making any
difference. Kismet & Netstumbler don't seem to report noise level with
this card, just rx level. but the app that came with the Alfa shows
"Signal Str" and "Link Quality". No differnce betewen a 2 dBi omni and
the cantenna.

Old March 13th 09, 12:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mar 12, 6:39*pm, "Jim, K7JEB" wrote:
[...]

Just about anything works better than the Pringles(tm) can that made
the antennas famous. I made one with a large fruit juice can and it
worked fairly decent. I picked up about 10 db compared to the stock
antenna.

Jimmie
Old March 13th 09, 12:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Just about anything works better than the Pringles(tm) can that made
the antennas famous. I made one with a large fruit juice can and it
worked fairly decent. I picked up about 10 db compared to the stock
antenna.

Jimmie

Ditto,but mine was a clam-chowder can,IIRC. Got funny looks walking down
the soup aisle with a tape measure..but I found a can with
nearly-perfect diameter.
Old March 13th 09, 04:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"PhattyMo" wrote in message

Just about anything works better than the Pringles(tm) can that made
the antennas famous. I made one with a large fruit juice can and it
worked fairly decent. I picked up about 10 db compared to the stock
antenna.

Jimmie

Ditto,but mine was a clam-chowder can,IIRC. Got funny looks walking down
the soup aisle with a tape measure..but I found a can with
nearly-perfect diameter.

The 2.4 GHz Multipoint Distribution System (MDS) pirate receivers from the
1980's used a coffee can. The circuit board parts kit was sized to fit
inside the standard 1-lb coffee can, so you knew (without the tape measure
;-).

I still have one overhead in the garage. It worked much better with a big
cone of screenwire out in front. Maybe the experimentors should work in
that direction. The cone acted just like a funnel.

Since the MDS signals are/were NTSC television, improvements could be
evaluated real-time.

"Sal"

Old March 13th 09, 04:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 21:19:18 -0700 (PDT), Jason
wrote:

Has anyone had any luck with these? the ones from Wireless Garden
I got one, and no matter how i turn it, I get very weak signal. my
target is about 400' away line of sight, except my friends ap is not
right in the window (i can see the window from my window).

Any coating on the window? If either window is a Low-E window, you
will have problems passing RF. Similarly, if the wall at your friends
end is full of chicken wire, concrete, or foil backed insulation, RF
is not going to penetrate. Line of sight means the antennas can see
each other with NOTHING in between. Get line of sight and it will
probably work.

I'm using an ALFA AWUS036H 500mW usb adaper with a RP-SMA.
the cantenna claims 12 dBi, and has a 3' cable with RP-SMA
the ap, has just the built in antennas (belkin)

Ummm.... methinks perhaps 9 dBi on a good day. I ran a model sometime
back. No guarantee mine is the same size can as yours:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/antennas/coffee2400/index.html
Note that the driven element is not a 1/4 wave wire, but is slightly
conical for better bandwidth.

I can get a week signal, but I get just as good or better with my 2
dBi omni!

Ummm... there's probably something wrong with the Super Cantenna or
your coax cable and connector arrangement. Start with a continuity
check using an ohms guesser. Also look for shorts. Beyond that,
you'll need a pile of test equipment. If the Super Cantenna uses a
type N connector, you might be able to substitute another external
antenna to test the coax cables and pigtail.

Incidentally, my father once warned me about products with amazing,
magic, miracle, super, and other superlatives in the name. Few come
even close.

do to the card being hi power the ap can hear everything but the ALPA
Rx SNR must be very low.

Don't assume the card is the problem, especially if the 2dBi omni
works as expected. I would investigate the antenna first.

thanks in advance
-Jason

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old March 13th 09, 11:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

http://www.engadget.com/2005/11/15/h...-dish-antenna/