Old March 14th 04, 01:47 PM
Va4ua

Default Anybody tried one of these antennas

I was think of getting one of these.

http://www.dxantennas.com/wst_page5.php

---

Old March 14th 04, 03:16 PM
Dave

you want to buy one, i'll sell you one for 1/2 that price! but you could
build it for even less than that with wire from a local home store and a
hunk of coax from wherever is best for you.

Old March 14th 04, 11:02 PM
varty

I bought one 3 months ago and I would have to say that it is the best wire
antenna that I have ever used.

Old March 15th 04, 03:28 AM
David L Thompson

Electronic Switch sold the Fritzel version of the OCF as the FD-4 (80 to 10)
and the FD-3 (40 to 10). The FRitzel was built like a battleship. I agree
with ham who said you could built one at home. I forget the exact
dimensions (41' was the short side of 136 total length) but the only trick
is to use a proper 300 ohm to 50 ohm balun. Or you can feed it with
ladderline as several have done. The OCF is the latest version of an old
antenna called the windom for W8GZ (the inventor).
This one was fed with a single line. The only thing I would be afraid of
on this is the balun. We tested and double tested the Fritzel and they were
underrated. The 700 watt version took 1500W with no problem. The 2KW and
5KW probably took far more. I had the 2KW and it easily took a KW of AM.
73 Dave K4JRB

Old March 16th 04, 09:45 PM
Mike Coslo

Edmund H. Ramm wrote:
In . net "David L Thompson" writes:

[...]
The OCF is the latest version of an old antenna called the windom for
W8GZ (the inventor).
[...]

Loren Windom must be getting tired of this. His antenna is single
wire fed against ground. An OCFD is not a Windom antenna.

73, Eddi ._._.

haven't you ever used one of those half-wave G5RV's? 8^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old March 17th 04, 12:37 AM
Dave Shrader

I have used a Classic 1930s Windom. It's 134 feet long, fed at 48 feet
from one end with a single #14 AWG wire. The feed wire was tuned by a
MURCH UT-2000A tuner. [Note: the MURCH 2000A is a 1960-1970 KW class
roller inductor tuner designed for 1KW AM].

I'll be reinstalling it again as soon as the snow melts here in central
NH. [changed QTH last year]

Works quite well on 80/40/30 meters.

Deacon Dave
+ + +