Old March 21st 09, 01:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Check to see if AIOE news server is blocking rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Excuse the test, but this cannot be carried out on a test NG.
--
Ian
Old March 23rd 09, 02:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message , Ian Jackson
writes
Excuse the test, but this cannot be carried out on a test NG.

It seems that I 'got in' OK using AIOE, but there are others who still
can't.
--
Ian
Old March 23rd 09, 02:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message , Ian Jackson
writes
In message , Ian Jackson
writes
Excuse the test, but this cannot be carried out on a test NG.

It seems that I 'got in' OK using AIOE, but there are others who still
can't.

This is with my port setting changed from 'NNTP' to '119'.
The server is still 'nntp.aioe.org'.
--
Ian
Old March 24th 09, 01:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In article ,
Ian Jackson wrote:

Excuse the test, but this cannot be carried out on a test NG.

Ian-

I saw 3 or 4 of your posts on AIOE, but only one showed up here on
Mixmin. I think this was the first one, dated Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:54 AM.
(I assume the time is where I am, Eastern Daylight Time in the US.)

Fred
Old March 25th 09, 09:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message , Fred McKenzie
writes
In article ,
Ian Jackson wrote:

Excuse the test, but this cannot be carried out on a test NG.

Ian-

I saw 3 or 4 of your posts on AIOE, but only one showed up here on
Mixmin. I think this was the first one, dated Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:54 AM.
(I assume the time is where I am, Eastern Daylight Time in the US.)

Ummm...
I could see all of my posts via AIOE to rec.radio.amateur.antenna, so
obviously AIOE aren't doing a blanket block on all posts to this NG
(like they did some time ago, to uk.radio.amateur).

It has been suggested in aioe.news.helpdesk that it is
rec.radio.amateur.policy where most of the abuse happens. I've had a
quick dip into it and yes - there do seem to be the usual collection of
cross-posting of ne'er-do-wells. Maybe AIOE are selectively blocking
only certain news servers or posts from certain ISPs.

As a further check, I'll temporarily switch to AIOE to send this.
--
Ian

Old March 26th 09, 04:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In article ,
Fred McKenzie wrote:

I saw 3 or 4 of your posts on AIOE, but only one showed up here on
Mixmin.

Ian-

Actually all 3 of your first posts eventually showed up on Mixmin.
Apparently the Sysop was on vacation for a few days and there were no
new messages until Wednesday. My Monday message didn't go out until
Wednesday either.

I normally use AIOE and switched to Mixmin to see if our messages would
go both ways. I haven't noticed any recent problems at AIOE.

Fred
Old March 26th 09, 08:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message , Fred McKenzie
writes
In article ,
Fred McKenzie wrote:

I saw 3 or 4 of your posts on AIOE, but only one showed up here on
Mixmin.

Ian-

Actually all 3 of your first posts eventually showed up on Mixmin.
Apparently the Sysop was on vacation for a few days and there were no
new messages until Wednesday. My Monday message didn't go out until
Wednesday either.

I normally use AIOE and switched to Mixmin to see if our messages would
go both ways. I haven't noticed any recent problems at AIOE.

Fred

I'm not really the one who is having the trouble. I can still post OK to
rec.radio.amateur.antenna using either my normal Demon news server, or
AIOE. It's some others who are finding that AIOE doesn't work, and they
are getting error messages.

With AIOE, the unwary can innocently fall foul of one of their several
'slap your wrist' rules. It's very easy to get blocked for 24 hours if
you send two identical posts - as you might do if, for some reason, the
first post fails to appear, and you send another.

The only indication from AIOE themselves as to whether they are
employing some other sort of blocking to rec.radio.amateur.antenna is
the following cryptic message on the aioe.news.helpdesk newsgroup:

"closed due some sort of large past abuse
articles are rejected by cleanfeed so error code is duplicated"

(which I don't really understand). They don't seem to be very
forthcoming with any further explanation. But, as I said, this problem
isn't affecting me personally.
--
Ian

Free news server for the asking ... John Smith Antenna 0 July 20th 08 12:36 AM
News about Japanese eQSO server (for CB & V/UHF 2way Radio) operation. KAGAYA CB 0 May 30th 06 03:32 PM
free news server John Smith Policy 3 August 18th 05 03:58 PM
Help with news server gil Shortwave 1 July 5th 04 07:21 AM