RadioBanter

-   -   solarcon I-max 2000 (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/142174-solarcon-i-max-2000-a.html)

Ed Cregger April 4th 09 04:33 PM

solarcon I-max 2000

"Andy" wrote in message
I'll put the I-max 2000 up without the ground plain kit for now and see
how that works.

I have made a ugly balun up to put into the deed line.

Where do I put it to, just below the Ariel or at the bottom of the main
mast?

Also is it best to isolate the I-max from the stub mast or connect it
direct?

Thanks

"Art Unwin" wrote in message
On Mar 30, 2:54 am, "Ed Cregger" wrote:
"Harry H" wrote in message

Andy,

I "Googled" the antenna and this is what I found:

Solarcon I-max 2000
This antenna tunes from 20 upto 10 Metre, making it perfect for HF
operation

a.. Solarcon 5/8 Wave
a.. Base Station Antenna
a.. End Fed 5/8 wavelength radiator
a.. Extended I-Max (current Maximum) Center Section
a.. Radials are Not Required!
a.. Wide Bandwidth
a.. High Power 5000 Watts.
a.. Outstanding Gain
a.. 24 Feet Long
a.. Wind Rating - 100 MPH

73
HH

"Andy" wrote in message
Hi all

I have a Solarcon I-max 2000 for 10 metes.

My question is about the ground plain legs. Would it work any
different
if the ground plain legs were horizontal rather than on a downward
angle?

The bracket that came with it is rusted badly and it would be easer
for
me to mount them horizontal on a new home made bracket.

Thanks

The Solarcon antenna derives no benefit from using radials. Spare
yourself
the drudgery and effort. Some folks were feeding upon the ignorance of CB
users and were trying to create mystical/magical options they could sell
for
more profit. The basic antenna is surprisingly the good. The rest of the
junk is unnecessary.

Ed, N2ECW

Hmm
How do you know for sure that the arms are not part of the radiator ?
The specs say no "ground" plane required which suggests no buried
wires
as artificial ground is supplied

I know it the same way that you and I know that the Sun will not explode
tomorrow or the that the Moon will not crash into the Earth the day after.

Come on, let's get real here. I have been studying antenna theory since the
Sixties and I've been building my own and buying my own antennas for just as
long. I've been at it long enough to know what works and what is glorified
garbage. Don't believe me? Fine, you go through all of the steps that I've
been through. I'll tell you now that you'll end up in the same place. Who
knows, you might even enjoy the trip.

Ed, N2ECW

JIMMIE April 5th 09 01:21 AM

solarcon I-max 2000

On Apr 4, 6:57*pm, Bart Bailey wrote:
In posted on
Sat, 4 Apr 2009 11:33:56 -0400, Ed Cregger wrote: Begin *

JIMMIE April 5th 09 02:46 AM

solarcon I-max 2000

On Apr 4, 8:56*pm, Bart Bailey wrote:
In

posted on Sat, 4 Apr 2009 17:21:08 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE wrote: Begin *

I had one and it got into my phone line until I choked the feed line.

What type of choke arrangement worked for you?

The antenna was on a PVC mast, I wraped a few turns of RG58 using the
mast for a coil form. Its been a few years since I had the antenna up
but I think I had the choke 1/4wl or 1/2wl from the feed point.

Jimmie