Old March 29th 09, 04:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default solarcon I-max 2000

Hi all

I have a Solarcon I-max 2000 for 10 metes.

My question is about the ground plain legs. Would it work any different if
the ground plain legs were horizontal rather than on a downward angle?

The bracket that came with it is rusted badly and it would be easer for me
to mount them horizontal on a new home made bracket.

Thanks

Old March 29th 09, 04:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Andy wrote:
Hi all

I have a Solarcon I-max 2000 for 10 metes.

My question is about the ground plain legs. Would it work any different if
the ground plain legs were horizontal rather than on a downward angle?

The bracket that came with it is rusted badly and it would be easer for me
to mount them horizontal on a new home made bracket.

Thanks

Hi Andy:

I don't know much about that antenna, but drooping the radials, (ground
legs) is a common way to raise the impedance of the antenna.
Most ground plane antennas resonate impedance is less than 50 ohms and
drooping the ground radials raises the impedance up to 50 ohms. The 2
best ways to find it out is:
1 model the antenna in software
2 try it and find out what happens.

I vote for no. 2 as it's Ham radio at it's best.

John W3JXP
Old March 29th 09, 11:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Andy,

I "Googled" the antenna and this is what I found:

Solarcon I-max 2000
This antenna tunes from 20 upto 10 Metre, making it perfect for HF operation

a.. Solarcon 5/8 Wave
a.. Base Station Antenna
a.. End Fed 5/8 wavelength radiator
a.. Extended I-Max (current Maximum) Center Section
a.. Radials are Not Required!
a.. Wide Bandwidth
a.. High Power 5000 Watts.
a.. Outstanding Gain
a.. 24 Feet Long
a.. Wind Rating - 100 MPH

73
HH

Old March 30th 09, 08:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Andy" wrote in message
Hi all

I have a Solarcon I-max 2000 for 10 metes.

My question is about the ground plain legs. Would it work any different
if the ground plain legs were horizontal rather than on a downward angle?

The bracket that came with it is rusted badly and it would be easer for
me to mount them horizontal on a new home made bracket.

Thanks

The Solarcon antenna derives no benefit from using radials. Spare yourself
the drudgery and effort. Some folks were feeding upon the ignorance of CB
users and were trying to create mystical/magical options they could sell for
more profit. The basic antenna is surprisingly the good. The rest of the
junk is unnecessary.

Ed, N2ECW

Old March 30th 09, 07:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Thanks all, for your input. I'll stick it up on the mast this weekend and
try it without any ground plain legs to start with. It will look a lot
tidier without legs on and I won't have the problem of having to put up a
longer stub mast to accommodate the ground plain legs.

73

"Ed Cregger" wrote in message
.. .

Old March 30th 09, 08:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Andy" wrote in message
Hi all

I have a Solarcon I-max 2000 for 10 metes.

My question is about the ground plain legs. Would it work any different
if the ground plain legs were horizontal rather than on a downward angle?

The bracket that came with it is rusted badly and it would be easer for
me to mount them horizontal on a new home made bracket.

Thanks

The Solarcon antenna derives no benefit from using radials. Spare yourself
the drudgery and effort. Some folks were feeding upon the ignorance of CB
users and were trying to create mystical/magical options they could sell for
more profit. The basic antenna is surprisingly the good. The rest of the
junk is unnecessary.

Ed, N2ECW

Hmm
How do you know for sure that the arms are not part of the radiator ?
The specs say no "ground" plane required which suggests no buried
wires
as artificial ground is supplied
Old March 30th 09, 09:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Andy wrote:
Thanks all, for your input. I'll stick it up on the mast this weekend and
try it without any ground plain legs to start with. It will look a lot
tidier without legs on and I won't have the problem of having to put up a
longer stub mast to accommodate the ground plain legs.

Where are the radials on this antenna? The pix I've seen don't show any,
so it looks as if someone was tricking the antenna out. Probably to no
avail.

As likely as not, the thing was designed without radials, so it doesn't
need them. I'd put it up without them, measure the SWR, and if it checks
okay, you're good to go. The antenna will operate as well as it will
operate.
Old March 30th 09, 10:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 19:15:04 +0100, "Andy"
wrote:

Thanks all, for your input. I'll stick it up on the mast this weekend and
try it without any ground plain legs to start with. It will look a lot
tidier without legs on and I won't have the problem of having to put up a
longer stub mast to accommodate the ground plain legs.

73

Hi Andy,

While the question of radials hinged on the match, sloping radials
raising the resistance; what you propose may raise it further yet. The
radials serve a purpose. If you remove them, you need to replace
their function by some other means.

This isn't bad, but it needs to be recognized and anticipated.
Basically you are moving towards a vertical dipole (albeit with one
leg at 5/8ths length). Even more, the lower leg will probably be
driven into ground (not the normal convention for vertical dipoles).
Even more, more, there is the drive line. It will contribute its own
variation to the drivepoint impedance unless you have it properly
choked.

The long and short of it, is that it may take some experimentation for
the right length of the supporting mast if you tie off the drive point
to it (instead of simply using if for support).

If you don't choke the feedpoint, then your coax will become part of
the tuned system. This is not bad (unless it gets back into your
equipment in the shack, or in the house in general), but it will
introduced a hard to control variability.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old March 31st 09, 03:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Bart Bailey wrote:

http://www.video-observer.com/imax/imax2000.htm

I use one for ten twelve fifteen and never installed the radial kit.
Seems to me that the radials are more of a decoupling shield than
anything to do with counterpoise, and in my case the feedline is
spiraled around the mast on the way down to choke any stray RF.

The page says the antenna is a .64 wavelength. But isn't the extra
length just compensating for the change in VF due to being inside the
fiberglass tube? Looks to be made well enough for sure.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -
Old April 4th 09, 03:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I'll put the I-max 2000 up without the ground plain kit for now and see how
that works.

I have made a ugly balun up to put into the deed line.

Where do I put it to, just below the Ariel or at the bottom of the main
mast?

Also is it best to isolate the I-max from the stub mast or connect it
direct?

Thanks

Solarcon A99 Dave Piggin Antenna 2 June 27th 05 02:35 PM
Solarcon A-99 antenna Buck Antenna 2 June 9th 05 04:56 PM
Solarcon I-Max 2000 Andy Antenna 13 October 10th 03 03:13 AM
SOLARCON ANTRON 99 SpOok CB 0 August 10th 03 03:44 PM