Old April 5th 09, 02:13 PM
Junior Member

Location: Eastern Shore of Maryland
Send a message via Yahoo to Michael Vaia
Default WTB Cushcraft Stacked Eleven Yagis

Hi,

I have been out of the hobby for a while and am setting up my station. I'm looking for an old set of stacked 11 element yagis that were made by Cushcraft. If you have something in reasonable shape at a reasonable price, drop me an email at I'm in Maryland by the way and am happy to pick them up if they are not too far.

Michael
Old April 6th 09, 03:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sun, 5 Apr 2009 14:13:35 +0100, Michael Vaia wrote:

I have been out of the hobby for a while and am setting up my station.
I'm looking for an old set of stacked 11 element yagis that were made by
Cushcraft.

Would that be for 40M or 80M? :-\
Old April 6th 09, 10:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Allodoxaphobia" wrote in message
On Sun, 5 Apr 2009 14:13:35 +0100, Michael Vaia wrote:

I have been out of the hobby for a while and am setting up my station.
I'm looking for an old set of stacked 11 element yagis that were made by
Cushcraft.

Would that be for 40M or 80M? :-\

if i remember right they were for 160m.

Old April 7th 09, 12:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Michael Vaia" wrote in message

Hi,

I have been out of the hobby for a while and am setting up my station.
I'm looking for an old set of stacked 11 element yagis that were made by
Cushcraft. If you have something in reasonable shape at a reasonable
price, drop me an email at I'm in Maryland by the way
and am happy to pick them up if they are not too far.

Michael

Not to get into a heated discussion, but why do you want the stacked 11
elements. There are much beter single antennas out now with the more modern
design. I never ran a stacked pair, but I never got a single 11 element CC
to give as much gain as some other single antennas of around the same boom
length. That was for the 2 meter, 220 and 440 mhz versions.

Old April 7th 09, 04:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Apr 6, 7:55*pm, "Ralph Mowery" wrote:
"Michael Vaia" wrote in message

Hi,

I have been out of the hobby for a while and am setting up my station.
I'm looking for an old set of stacked 11 element yagis that were made by
Cushcraft. *If you have something in reasonable shape at a reasonable
price, drop me an email *at *I'm in Maryland by the way
and am happy to pick them up if they are not too far.

Michael

Not to get into a heated discussion, but why do you want the stacked 11
elements. *There are much beter single antennas out now with the more modern
design. *I never ran a stacked pair, but I never got a single 11 element CC
to give as much gain as some other single antennas of around the same boom
length. *That was for the 2 meter, 220 and 440 mhz versions.

I bought a single 147 -11 at a hamfest a few years ago and I was
disapointed in its performance. It didnt do as well as my 6 element
quad. I bought the antenna hoping to make better contact with a friend
who lives just barely in range when I am using my quad but contact was
even worse with this antenna. I understand this was a used antenna but
I think I restored it to near new condition. It is my opinion that the
problem may be in the gamma match and I have considered modifying it
into a Quagi to see if this improves the performance.

The manual on this antenna is so good if someone wanted one bad enough
they could build one from the drawings in the manual almost as easily
as assembling one out of the box.

Jimmie

Old April 7th 09, 01:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
MTV MTV is offline

JIMMIE wrote:
[...]

Who makes the quad?

I'm in the market for VHF antenna(s) to put on mast above a tri-bander
on a 50' tower.

Marv
W5MTV
Old April 7th 09, 02:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Apr 7, 8:51*am, MTV wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
[...]

W5MTV- Hide quoted text -

I did, a two meter quad is just too easy to make. There are plans
galore for them.

Jimmie
Old April 8th 09, 12:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
news:64ea3fe9-d99b-4897-bf85-I bought a single 147 -11 at a hamfest a few
years ago and I was
disapointed in its performance. It didnt do as well as my 6 element
quad. I bought the antenna hoping to make better contact with a friend
who lives just barely in range when I am using my quad but contact was
even worse with this antenna. I understand this was a used antenna but
I think I restored it to near new condition. It is my opinion that the
problem may be in the gamma match and I have considered modifying it
into a Quagi to see if this improves the performance.

The manual on this antenna is so good if someone wanted one bad enough
they could build one from the drawings in the manual almost as easily
as assembling one out of the box.

Jimmie

I read in a ham magazine about 20 years ago that at an antenna measuring
contest a 220 mhz CC antenna had the driven and reflector elements replaced
with quad types and gave much more gain. My homebuilt 8 element Quagi from
QST plans gave much more gain than a 220 CC 11 element.

Old April 8th 09, 03:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 18:22:32 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
[...]

I built the 440 version of that Quagi and managed a 105 mile contact
using 5 watts. For a commercial quad antenna, Cubex makes a good
product: http://www.cubex.com/