Old May 5th 09, 10:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Antenna to dangle over a cliff

Dear list-

I was just wondering about the performance of a long wire dangled over
a cliff? Our Field Day location is on the Mogollon Rim (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mogollon_Rim ) of Northern Arizona. We
really like the view, but I was wondering if it might not be useful
for antenna experimentation, too.

My thought is to use a fiberglass pole at a 45deg angle to hold a
weighted antenna line off from the cliff face, although some locations
even have pretty good overhangs. Then we could use either an inverted-
L configuration, running feedline along the support pole and bringing
the horizontal part up to a tree near the edge, or just go with a
really long end-fed antenna.

Any thoughts on this? I couldn't find anything written about this via
google. All constructive comments are welcomed.

73 de NS7F,
Ross Tucker
Old May 5th 09, 10:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Tue, 5 May 2009 14:05:34 -0700 (PDT), Ross
wrote:

Dear list-

Group, not list....

My thought is to use a fiberglass pole at a 45deg angle to hold a
weighted antenna line off from the cliff face, although some locations
even have pretty good overhangs. Then we could use either an inverted-
L configuration, running feedline along the support pole and bringing
the horizontal part up to a tree near the edge, or just go with a
really long end-fed antenna.

Hi Ross,

Put a good weight on it, and spool out over the edge until you achieve
lowest SWR for your frequency. The higher the cliff, the lower the
frequency you can accomodate. Think of it as an inverse balloon or -
a Lead Zepp.

What are you going to do about ground?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old May 5th 09, 10:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Ross wrote:
Any thoughts on this? I couldn't find anything written about this via
google. All constructive comments are welcomed.

Check out Zepp antennas dangled from airships.
--
73, Cecil, IEEE, OOTC, http://www.w5dxp.com
Old May 6th 09, 04:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On May 5, 5:05*pm, Ross wrote:
[...]

Ive done that with the bottom half of a dipole hanging off a bridge.
This put the bottom end of the 40m dipole about 100ft off the ground.

Jimmie