Old March 16th 04, 08:44 PM
Dave

"Bill Turner" wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 14:43:22 GMT, "R. Scott"
wrote:

So how do you guys seal your outside coax ?

I use a product called Coax-Seal, available from most ham dealers. It
remains pliant and is easily removable even after years outside.

save the big bucks and buy duct seal by the pound from a local electrical
supplier. but which ever one you use cover it with a layer of electrical
tape to keep it from the sun and pressed into the cracks well. some people
put a layer of tape on first, then the seal, then another layer of tape to
make it easier to remove.

one fair warning... neither of them will stick if you get the common
silicone dielectric grease on the outside of the connector... keep that
stuff on the inside and off your hands or it just won't seal.

and as others have probably pointed out stay away from the silicone rubber
caulks and glass sealants, those usually give off an acid while curing (the
vinegar smell) that can etch the connector, and they just don't stay very
well sealed when coated on a connector.

Old March 16th 04, 09:14 PM
Dr. Slick

"R. Scott" wrote in message ...
I had been using the Stretch Seal stuff. But Im replacing all my coax
and noticed that the Feed for my Beam the seal was all cracked and had
come apart in places (especially the braid side. Ive a can of Liquid
tape and had thought of that.

So how do you guys seal your outside coax ?

Go to Radio Shack, they have something called "Coax-Seal" or
something similar, that is a roll of tar-like substance that never
gets hard or dries out. It's always a bit sticky, and works great.

Slick
Old March 16th 04, 09:15 PM
Ken Fowler

wrote:

I had been using the Stretch Seal stuff. But Im replacing all my coax
and noticed that the Feed for my Beam the seal was all cracked and had
come apart in places (especially the braid side. Ive a can of Liquid
tape and had thought of that.

So how do you guys seal your outside coax ?

I use liquid electrical tape.

I'll second this. I have been using StarBrite Liquid Electrical Tape outdoors for nine years. It
doesn't crack or deteriorate. Connectors have been bright and shiny after three years - (about the
longest that a ham antenna stays of interest). I also use it on the tail light connections on my
boat trailer. Readily available at hardware and home improvement stores.

Ken Fowler, KO6NO
Old March 16th 04, 10:18 PM
Bob Miller

wrote:

I had been using the Stretch Seal stuff. But Im replacing all my coax
and noticed that the Feed for my Beam the seal was all cracked and had
come apart in places (especially the braid side. Ive a can of Liquid
tape and had thought of that.

So how do you guys seal your outside coax ?

GE silicon Kitchen & Bath sealant from the hardware store.

Bob
k5qwg

Not considered a good choice,If it smells of vineger then I would stay away
from it.There are better choices, consult a Ham Antenna book.
Eskay,,VE3JUA.

It's been sealing the coax attached to my j-pole -- no degradation I
can see in being used outside for 6 months.

Of course, one can use that black, sticky coax wrap that's available
from the ham stores and such, but the Kitchen & Bath silicon acrylic
stuff that dries clear (Max 5000 by GE) does fine for down and dirty
projects.

Bob
k5qwg

Old March 16th 04, 10:29 PM
YODAR

There is a rubber based sealant labeled for marine use, UV resisitnt,
called GOOP Marine...GOOP is a group of rubber products in a tube
labeled under various names for plumbing, household, automotive
applications...end even rebuilding heels and toes of expensive jogging
shoes ...hence the name SHOE GOO. It is NOT labeled for electronics
applications but it works for my receive antenna-boxes & conectors outside.

It and it's weaker cousin Dow-Corning 3140-RTV sealant, have served me
well in Florida against weather...Both flow and are self leveling till
they solidify overnight so you'll have to build a "mould-wall" of
masking tape or something to control it's flow

Yodar

Old March 16th 04, 10:41 PM
John Smith

also called VAPOR-BLOC
Try searching on Google for them, should find it
comes in squares about 4 by 5 inches or so.
I don't think they have it at the ham stores.

"R. Scott" wrote in message
Best stuff is that black tar like stuff that comes with a paper backing

that
comes with
the bigger connectors called Vapor Wrap by Decibel Products. Put on over

the
entire connector and part of the coax,
then tape it up and black tie wraps to keep the tape on. Good for 10+

years.
It is what the Commercial guys use.

Where might i find it, No local ham stores around here anymore? Is it
available elsewhere.

Thanks

Rick N7HJ

Old March 17th 04, 05:54 AM
Sum Ting Wong

wrote:

So how do you guys seal your outside coax ?

3M (and some others) makes a product called Liquid Tape that works
pretty well. West Marine carries the 3M brand and Home Depot
electrical department carries the less pretentious stuff. It's about
$5.75 in a metal can with applicator.

s.t.w.

Old March 17th 04, 06:05 AM
All Your Base

"R. Scott" wrote:

I had been using the Stretch Seal stuff. But Im replacing all my coax
and noticed that the Feed for my Beam the seal was all cracked and had
come apart in places (especially the braid side. Ive a can of Liquid
tape and had thought of that.

So how do you guys seal your outside coax ?

Not sure what stretch seal is, but I use a couple layers of Scotch LR
followed by more layers of Scotch 88. LR is a rubber strip kind of
tape that sticks to itself, but not your hands, shirt, radio, etc.
This is good enough for above ground locations that do not submerge.
I've peeled the tape off after 4 years in the air and the connection
is dry and shiny.

If it's underground or more wet locations, Bishop Bi Seal is a
professional 'gummy' seal.

I did a bit of searching to see if a retail source was available and
was surprised to find an online catalog version of a vendor I spend
lots of company money at -
http://www.tvcinc.com/catalog/PDFs/Drop/Tape.pdf

I never use RTV on outdoor connections - moisture seeps in, adds to
the acid and rots the connection.

Silicone grease is better, but only if covered by tape or spark plug
boots to keep it on the connection. I only use grease for temporary
setups.

--
"From spongecake to satellites, it's gotta be Krebstar"
Old March 17th 04, 06:51 AM
Dave Platt

In article ,
Dave wrote:

and as others have probably pointed out stay away from the silicone rubber
caulks and glass sealants, those usually give off an acid while curing (the
vinegar smell) that can etch the connector, and they just don't stay very
well sealed when coated on a connector.

Our local hardware store has (among others) a black GE silicone
sealant which is specifically labelled as being suitable for use on
metals, and to be noncorrosive. It contains no acetic acid. I've
used it on F connectors on my TV and satellite-dish wiring - it stood
up to sunlight for quite a few years, and when removed did not appear
to have corroded the brass at all.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO