RadioBanter

-   -   CB Radios, Cellphones and Gasoline Vapor Ignition (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/1440-cb-radios-cellphones-gasoline-vapor-ignition.html)

mark March 25th 04 01:42 PM

good explanation bruce !

one of the reasons TNT became the product of choice over other
explosives such as nitro. Easy to transport and very stable

http://mooni.fccj.org/~ethall/explode/explode.htm

Trinitrotoluene is a high explosive that is
unaffected by ordinary shocks and
therefore must be set off by a detonator. TNT
is often mixed with other
explosives such as ammonium nitrate to form
amatol. Because it is insensitive to
shock and must be exploded with a detonator,
it is the most favored explosive
used in munitions and construction.
Why do nitro groups (NO2) lead to unstable
compounds?
Nitrogen has charge of +1 and nitro group have
a strong tendency to withdraw
(pull) electrons from other parts of the
compound. Attaching three nitro groups to
a compound leads to an extremely unstable
situation.

markus

Bruce in Alaska wrote:

In article ,
(John Michael Williams) wrote:

but what would happen is that the uncombusted atoms
of the TNT would be just accelerated away by the shock
of detonation.

Eventually, they might be combusted, but not as part of
the detonation. So, their combustion energy contribution
isn't counted as part of the explosion.

The above is just plain NONSENSE. When TNT Detonates, it is the
detonation wave front that causes the cyclic ring of tolulene to
break and release the bonding energy of the molecule. The detonation
wave front is traveling faster than the the molecules can move on their
own, so they don't move, they just get slammed by the detonation wave.
There is a GIANT difference between combustion and detonation. TNT
does NOT combust when it decomposes in a detonation.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @

Terry Given March 25th 04 06:31 PM

"DarkMatter" wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 09:50:00 -0600, Cecil Moore
Gave us:

John Michael Williams wrote:
I share this skepticism. Burning TNT probably would produce 10x more
free energy than detonating it.

When you detonate it, what happens to the 90% lost energy?
Fails to actually detonate?

First, tell me how one "burns TNT". It is a high explosive. I
think its "burn rate" would be pretty fast, and not manageable.

That guy's empty skull cavity has a lot of free space in it.

Why do you feel it necessary to abuse everyone with whom you disagree?
especially as the half-dozen or so posts below clearly indicate that you are
WRONG.

Gary S. March 25th 04 08:29 PM

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 09:28:58 -0000, "Ian Buckner"
wrote:

"Richard Henry" wrote in message

I remember the lox-barbecue page (which unfortunately seems to have

been
taken down) warned against soaking the charcoal briquets in the

liquid
oxygen.

"The people in charge have requested this web site be removed"

That's a shame - I thought it was a good example of there still being
a sense of adventure out there.

People concerned with being sued.

This rated highly on the "don't try this at home" scale.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

Dave Cole March 26th 04 05:35 AM

in article , Cecil Moore at
wrote on 3/23/04 10:15:

DarkMatter wrote:
First, tell me how one "burns TNT". It is a high explosive. I
think its "burn rate" would be pretty fast, and not manageable.

If one arranged the TNT into a fuse, how fast would it burn?

Depends on whether you ignite it (Zippo, etc.) -moderate speed for a fuse-
or detonate it (initiator, blasting cap, etc.) -very fast... think
primacord.
HTH
Dave Cole

R. Steve Walz March 27th 04 06:40 AM

maxfoo wrote:

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 15:29:28 -0600, "Stephen J. Rush"
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 08:18:55 -0800, Jan Panteltje wrote:

Unil the terrorists get nukes, then there will be no Jerusalem.
It is as predictable as a TTL timer, only one outcome possible.
It is probably far to late for Israel to change that outcome.

Jerusalem is probably the only city in the region that _isn't_ a potential
nuke target. Too many sites sacred to both sides.

a dirty nuke wouldn't physically damage any sacred sites. just contaminate the
area for thousands of years so no one could live there.

--------------------
But everyone knows that if Jerusalem goes, Mecca, Medina, Teheran,
Islamabad and a half dozen other Moslem cities get nuked. This
from the insiders in Israeli physics I have known when I was
married into a Jewish family for 20 years.

-Steve
--
-Steve Walz ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/user/rstevew
Electronics Site!! 1000's of Files and Dirs!! With Schematics Galore!!

Cecil Moore March 27th 04 12:23 PM

DarkMatter wrote:

Dave Cole wrote:

wrote:

DarkMatter wrote:
First, tell me how one "burns TNT". It is a high explosive. I
think its "burn rate" would be pretty fast, and not manageable.

If one arranged the TNT into a fuse, how fast would it burn?

Depends on whether you ignite it (Zippo, etc.) -moderate speed for a fuse-
or detonate it (initiator, blasting cap, etc.) -very fast... think
primacord. HTH Dave Cole

Learn how to quote properly. I did not ask this question.

Since my heading is identified by '' any quote with '' is mine.
Your heading is identified by '' so your quotes use ''.
Everything above *is* quoted properly.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Jan Panteltje March 27th 04 02:26 PM

On a sunny day (Sat, 27 Mar 2004 06:40:02 GMT) it happened "R. Steve Walz"
wrote in :

But everyone knows that if Jerusalem goes, Mecca, Medina, Teheran,
Islamabad and a half dozen other Moslem cities get nuked.

When I look at hthis statement closer, you see that now we have
lost Baghdad, and if teh US 'frees' ahum more Islam countries z(say keeps
pushing Iran, the currwent CIA operations in Siria, everytime the balance
for a Israeli targets for a 'strike back' decreases.
Lowwer threshold.
People who have nothing to lose do NOT go by any rules.
IMO Bush Jr want, before he leaves offcide, a worldwide fire started.
This to help his weaopon producing friends.
Same as Vietnam was for no reason at all....
So he may light middle east, China Taiwan, or both, or something else.
Here is a mirror for the US.
Its ugly.
But on the other hand, humanity has always been that way.
The beauty in it is it makes the species strong, PROVIDED there are
survivers.
But it would be more beautiful if people could live in peace.
We do have, as humans, a brain that alows us to view the world from
the others perspective.
Maybe we should put energy into making people use that part.
JP

R. Steve Walz March 28th 04 02:18 AM

wrote in :

But everyone knows that if Jerusalem goes, Mecca, Medina, Teheran,
Islamabad and a half dozen other Moslem cities get nuked.

When I look at hthis statement closer, you see that now we have
lost Baghdad, and if teh US 'frees' ahum more Islam countries z(say keeps
pushing Iran, the currwent CIA operations in Siria, everytime the balance
for a Israeli targets for a 'strike back' decreases.
Lowwer threshold.
People who have nothing to lose do NOT go by any rules.

------------------------
Their lives are still important to most of them, the number who become
suicidal over political causes is actually rather small. If we simply
blew the **** out of whatever family home and neighborhood that the
latest suicide bomber came from, these attacks would stop. Most of
the allure to brainwashing kids to carry bombs is lost when their folks
contemplate retaliation directly upon their own head. The Russians
have learned how to deal with Arabs, ask them! Promising and then
carrying out the napalming of errant neighborhoods without any
apology whatsoever would end this in nothing flat. There's absolutely
nothing whatsoever wrong with genocide if it is not intended as such,
as with the Nazi's, but incidental to the purpose, as with Eisenhower.
Always make it strictly conditional, if you do this, we will do more
of that, and we will always escalate ten-fold and upon civilians!!!
A people is utterly responsible for those who lead and represent them
and how they do so, even down to their very children!

IMO Bush Jr want, before he leaves offcide, a worldwide fire started.
This to help his weaopon producing friends.
Same as Vietnam was for no reason at all....
So he may light middle east, China Taiwan, or both, or something else.
Here is a mirror for the US.
Its ugly.

--------------
Agreed, Bush at alia, but there are many others who know better,
which was how Vietnam stopped. On the other hand, we need weapons,
we simply need to use them a bit differently.

But on the other hand, humanity has always been that way.
The beauty in it is it makes the species strong, PROVIDED there are
survivers.

----------------
Nawh, I don't buy it, our nature depends far more on culture now
than genetics. It doesn't matter whether a suicide bomber is
a congenital idiot.

But it would be more beautiful if people could live in peace.
We do have, as humans, a brain that alows us to view the world from
the others perspective.
Maybe we should put energy into making people use that part.
JP

--------------------------
It requires, firstly, that we either do away with, or terrify any
who would breach the peace of the world. That requires an ugly but
actually very civilized demeanor, one that will not tolerate disorder
and will not bother apologizing to anyone.

People are not perfected by appealing to them, they are perfected by
their neighbors not tolerating their deviant abusive bull**** anymore.

When they finally always get it worse than they give, they ****ing
stop, and not until!

-Steve

Stephen Cowell March 28th 04 05:34 PM

wrote in :

But everyone knows that if Jerusalem goes, Mecca, Medina, Teheran,
Islamabad and a half dozen other Moslem cities get nuked.

When I look at hthis statement closer, you see that now we have
lost Baghdad, and if teh US 'frees' ahum more Islam countries z(say

keeps
pushing Iran, the currwent CIA operations in Siria, everytime the

balance
for a Israeli targets for a 'strike back' decreases.
Lowwer threshold.
People who have nothing to lose do NOT go by any rules.

------------------------
Their lives are still important to most of them, the number who become
suicidal over political causes is actually rather small. If we simply
blew the **** out of whatever family home and neighborhood that the
latest suicide bomber came from, these attacks would stop.

Like the Palestinian attacks stopped after the Israelis started
doing what you suggest?
__
Steve
KI5YG
..

John Michael Williams March 31st 04 08:11 AM

Jeff Liebermann wrote in message . ..
On 20 Mar 2004 23:28:38 -0800, (John Michael
Williams) wrote:

Ships around the turn of the 20th century transmitted morse code by
spark, I think.

The Lusitania, Mauritania, Titanic, and Olypic all ran on coal. No
gasoline in sight. Later vessels ran on bunker C fuel oil, which is
more like tar than gasoline. I don't think one has to worry about
sparks on such a vessel unless it's finely devided coal dust, which
finished off the Lusitania in a secondary explosion after the torpedo.

Interesting idea. I would have thought that a tube would require
more V than a neon lamp to get started. I'll try it if I can
find a lamp.

Neon lamp needs about 60 volts to light and 40 volts to stay lit. The
4 watt flourescent tube wants at least 90 volts to start, and I think
(i.e. guess) about 50 volts to stay lit.

What you seem to be suggesting is that I simply connect the
lamp to the 1/4 wave receiving antenna, right? Why introduce
my hand? For ground on the other lamp contact?

Yep. You're the ground. You should be fine with a 5 watt CB and a 1/4
wave whip. The high voltage point is near the tip. However, don't
try it with an illegal CB linear. You'll get an RF burn for your
troubles.

Incidentally, there are cell phone antennas with lights in them.
http://cellphones-accessories.com/12stobligcel.html
They're LED's which require much less power to light than a 4 watt
flourescent bulb. Still, it's kinda interesting.

I don't see the point of attaching a long
wire to the CB, because they don't come with long bare wires.
Clearly, I could get a good spark by attaching a wire to the
CB batteries, and avoid all the RF stuff!

Exactly. Same with an open relay contact or toggle switch. However,
don't foget that you need containment to create an explosion.
Sparking the DC inside the trunk is the mostly likely location.

22 V is a lot more than I could get with a 1 m monopole: I only
got 100 mV peak to peak.

The 22 volts peak is at the RF connector. I'm assuming that if there
is a spark gap, it will be in the coax cable or associated antenna
connectors.

I finally got hold of a 4 W fluorescent lamp (Coleman 12V lantern
replacement; H-F4T5D(3)). I attached a 2.7 m bare copper
wire to one end of it and tried holding the other end
in my hand while keying on Channel 40. No obvious effect.

John

John Michael Williams