RadioBanter

-   -   CB Radios, Cellphones and Gasoline Vapor Ignition (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/1440-cb-radios-cellphones-gasoline-vapor-ignition.html)

John Michael Williams March 17th 04 08:02 PM

CB Radios, Cellphones and Gasoline Vapor Ignition

Claims that people have started fires by using
their cell phone while refueling a car apparently
are false: See
http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp
and other sites.

However, the first radios transmitted
sparks, so in principle it should be possible to
transmit near a long wire separated by a small gap from
ground or another wire and get a small spark. So, I
decided to try an experiment.

I don't use a cell phone, so I assumed a CB radio
transceiver would be a reasonable substitute: The
power output of a nominal 5 W CB also is consistent
and nonadaptive, so a possible unknown (actual output
power) is avoided. Cell phones are adaptive and
not very consistent in power output, so power
should be monitored during a cell phone experiment.

5 W is considerably more than the 0.2 to 2 W typically
possible from a cell phone; the power should be the
important factor, although maybe someone should repeat this
experiment with a cell phone, which would operate at
a much higher frequency.

I used a Radio Shack TRC-231 handheld (stock #21-1675)
with xmit power on high and set on Channel 40.
The antenna was the one that came with it (about 25 cm
long). I set the volume to max and the squelch at min
to be able to detect anyone else trying to use the
channel; this was just to be sure that my brief, silent
transmissions would not interfere with anyone.

I used the CB indoors, in a mostly metal-shielded
room. Because CB wavelength is around 10 m, everything I
did was in the near field; however, the inverse square law
for power still holds, allowing that the CB antenna is more
of a line than a point source under my conditions below.

The first thing I noticed was that every time I keyed the
transmit button, the CB would switch the
light level of a nearby touch-dimmed lamp, and it
made a Microalert microwave detector scream. I unplugged
the lamp and turned off the Microalert.

Then, I tried to light a 120VAC indicator neon lamp attached
to two solid copper switchback wires totalling about 1 m
long, so the lamp was in the middle effectively of a dipole
antenna. I tested the lamp and found it would light with
10 microamps current. The CB had no effect, even if held
parallel to, and almost touching, the wires. Thus, the near
field of a 5 W CB radio can not supply about 90 V at even
10 uA, under these conditions.

I then attached a 1.2 m monopole antenna to an oscilloscope.
This antenna has a Schottky hot carrier diode and impedance
matching resistors builtin. It's home made, but it's probably
as good as any other wire about that long. I hooked
the antenna coax to an oscilloscope: With the CB transmitting,
and its antenna parallel and 1 m away from the monopole,
the amplitude was about 100 mV p-p, at 27 MHz or so. I could
not get more amplitude no matter how close I held the CB,
or at what angle. Touching the bare monopole wire increased
the amplitude by no more than 10%.

So, first conclusion: To get even a 1 V spark would take a
wire at least 9 m long, all somehow kept within 1 m of the
transmitter. Thus, it appears it is not feasible to create a
hazardous spark with a CB at a gas station.

Just to be sure, I taped a 1 m wire to a table top in the dark
and slowly brought it closer and closer to another wire
plugged into a wall socket 3rd wire ground (yes, I verified
that the socket was wired to ground first!). At each distance, I
briefly keyed the CB. I could not see any spark, even after
dark-adapting my eyes for 10 min and letting the wires touch.
I might have dark-adapted longer, but I don't know whether
I should have been able to see a 50 mV spark or not.

So, I think sliding over on a car seat, and thus generating a
possible static charge, would be more likely to ignite gasoline
vapor than talking on a cell phone while refueling. However, it
would be useful for someone to repeat this kind of test with an
actual cell phone, as opposed to a CB radio. The wires should
be shorter, for one thing . . ..

I'm cross posting to an antenna group, looking for criticism.

John

John Michael Williams

Jim Thompson March 17th 04 08:08 PM

I was struck by a thought when I heard the latest Palestinian
terrorist trick is to send a kid through the border with a back-pack
bomb triggered by a cell phone....

The Israelis should get a telemarketer's speed dialer and constantly
dial away... boom... boom... boom...

ROTFLMAO!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

John "Peace for our Time" Kerry, Neville Chamberlain of this Century

Ken Taylor March 17th 04 09:02 PM

"John Michael Williams" wrote in message
m...
[...]

It's a bit of a stretch to think that cell-phones are a problem, whereas the
car driving off next to you, with a set of spark plugs going for their
lives, is not. Hmmmm.

Ken

'Doc March 17th 04 09:06 PM

John,
It's also possible to start a fire rubbing two sticks
together, but it isn't as likely to be an accidental thing.
I would tend to doubt any claims about cell phones starting
accidental fires unless there has been some modification
to the phone, or other unusual circumstance. Turning off
cell phones and radios seems like a reasonable precaution
while fueling, I don't have a problem with that. I also
don't understand why anyone else would either. Do I turn off
my two way radio when fueling? Yes, but mainly because of
how it's connected (ignition switch).
If fuel vapor liable to ignite because of RF? Not unless
the RF field is very strong, or the antenna arcs for some
reason. Very likely? Not really. Possible? Sure. So using
a little common sense... what's the problem?
'Doc

PS - Cross posting is a sure way of causing misunderstandings.

Dave VanHorn March 17th 04 09:26 PM

I noticed that the appearance of the no cell phone signs came around the
same time that gas stations started running audio commercials through
speakers at the pump.

Dave Shrader March 17th 04 09:33 PM

John Michael Williams wrote:

SNIP

However, the first radios transmitted
sparks, so in principle it should be possible to
transmit near a long wire separated by a small gap from
ground or another wire and get a small spark. So, I
decided to try an experiment.

SNIP

There is one other potential source for a spark that you did not
investigate.

A make/break contact in a switch causes sparks when opened. The US
Military specifies special shielded switches for their explosive, gas
vapor, etc., environments.

So, it is possible that pressing the PTT or the ON/OFF switch causes the
necessary spark. Remember the Apollo ground fire. A switch/spark caused
an oxygen explosion.

Richard Henry March 17th 04 10:05 PM

"Dave Shrader" wrote in message
John Michael Williams wrote:

SNIP

However, the first radios transmitted
sparks, so in principle it should be possible to
transmit near a long wire separated by a small gap from
ground or another wire and get a small spark. So, I
decided to try an experiment.

SNIP

There is one other potential source for a spark that you did not
investigate.

A make/break contact in a switch causes sparks when opened. The US
Military specifies special shielded switches for their explosive, gas
vapor, etc., environments.

So, it is possible that pressing the PTT or the ON/OFF switch causes the
necessary spark. Remember the Apollo ground fire. A switch/spark caused
an oxygen explosion.

I wouldn't call it an "oxygen explosion" but a small fire that grew rapidly
due to the pure-oxygen atmosphere.

Mark Fergerson March 17th 04 11:35 PM

Jim Thompson wrote:

I was struck by a thought when I heard the latest Palestinian
terrorist trick is to send a kid through the border with a back-pack
bomb triggered by a cell phone....

The Israelis should get a telemarketer's speed dialer and constantly
dial away... boom... boom... boom...

If they could figure out from whom they're buying all
them pre-paid cellphones (in order to generate the number
lists), it could work. Just keep it running 24/7 with a
"Sorry, wrong number" message in case an innocent (or
unfinished bomb) answers.

I figure eventually they'll run out of suicide-bomb
volunteers. Might as well help if it can be done without
blowing anyone else up.

Mark L. Fergerson

Paul Burridge March 17th 04 11:44 PM

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 13:08:33 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

I was struck by a thought when I heard the latest Palestinian
terrorist trick is to send a kid through the border with a back-pack
bomb triggered by a cell phone....

The Israelis should get a telemarketer's speed dialer and constantly
dial away... boom... boom... boom...

ROTFLMAO!

Yes, I'm rolling on the floor laughing at all these deaths, too, as
I'm sure we all are.
--

The BBC: Licensed at public expense to spread lies.

Roger Gt March 18th 04 12:09 AM

"Paul Burridge" wrote
: Jim Thompson wrote:
:
: I was struck by a thought when I heard the latest Palestinian
: terrorist trick is to send a kid through the border with a
back-pack
: bomb triggered by a cell phone....
:
: The Israelis should get a telemarketer's speed dialer and
constantly
: dial away... boom... boom... boom...
:
: ROTFLMAO!
:
: Yes, I'm rolling on the floor laughing at all these deaths, too,
as
: I'm sure we all are.

Huh?
He seemed to be laughing at the lame Idea! I also thought it
funny that anyone would try something which would almost totally
wipe out the cellular phone service for the entire country... All
to provide a SMALL measure of confidence that no one had a bomb
attached to a phone. Like it would even work!
WTH are you referring to? GAL!

Tim Auton March 18th 04 01:48 AM

"Ken Taylor" wrote:
[snip]
It's a bit of a stretch to think that cell-phones are a problem, whereas the
car driving off next to you, with a set of spark plugs going for their
lives, is not. Hmmmm.

Quite. Not only that, but a petrol station I used to live near had an
in-store bakery.

Tim
--
Love is a travelator.

Ben Bradley March 18th 04 02:38 AM

In rec.radio.amateur.antenna,

( I suppose this is on RRAA because cell phones have antennas )

sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics, Jim Thompson
wrote:

I was struck by a thought when I heard the latest Palestinian
terrorist trick is to send a kid through the border with a back-pack
bomb triggered by a cell phone....

Call phones have become the trigger of choice for terrorist bombs.

The Israelis should get a telemarketer's speed dialer and constantly
dial away... boom... boom... boom...

This might already be illegal there (not that that would stop a
government). I've heard that various parts of Europe have much
stronger privacy laws than the US, so there's little or no
telemarketing.

ROTFLMAO!

Of course, in the USA, one could put the cell number on the
national DO-NOT-CALL list, then only an "illegal" telemarketer would
trigger the bomb.

Bombers might figure ways around this (especially if they search
Usenet), such as a cellphone answering circuit and a "dee tee em eff"
decoding circuit. I wouldn't want to spell it out for them...

...Jim Thompson

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley

maxfoo March 18th 04 03:41 AM

wrote:

I was struck by a thought when I heard the latest Palestinian
terrorist trick is to send a kid through the border with a back-pack
bomb triggered by a cell phone....

The Israelis should get a telemarketer's speed dialer and constantly
dial away... boom... boom... boom...

ROTFLMAO!

...Jim Thompson

The terrorist will just make 'em more sophisticated.
Like once you dialup the cellphone you have to enter
a N digit code followed by the * key before the bomb
detonates...123456789*...BOOM!!!

Remove "HeadFromButt", before replying by email.

Crazy George March 18th 04 03:50 AM

IIRC, the Apollo capsule wire insulation was FEP, and was ignited when the
power conductor it insulated was mechanically pinched and shorted to ground.
It overheated enough from fault current to ignite before the breaker
tripped.

Kapton tape was blamed in the Swissair 400(?) cockpit fire and crash in
Newfoundland(?) a few years back.

Gasoline vapor fuel fires were ignited by early pagers and first generation
cell phones which used tiny universal motors with eccentric weights as
silent ring annunciators. Find one of those old beasts and try running that
motor in a flammable environment.

The technical basis of this is covered in a text: "Intrinsic Safety" by
Redding, published by Mc Graw Hill.

--

Crazy George
Remove N O and S P A M imbedded in return address
"DarkMatter" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 21:33:43 GMT, Dave Shrader
Gave us:

So, it is possible that pressing the PTT or the ON/OFF switch causes the
necessary spark.

Both in handheld radio transceivers, and cell phones, there are NO
switches that pass any power level that causes a spark to exhibit upon
contact or release.

Sheesh.

Remember the Apollo ground fire.

It was a pure oxy environment. There was, as a rule nothing
flammable on board. The problem was that materials were not tested
for their flammability in such an oxy rich environ. The kapton tape
is what was set afire by the spark, and that fire grew ferociously in
the oxygen. The oxygen was the oxidizer, not what burned.

A switch/spark caused
an oxygen explosion.

Are you sure you aren't just pulling that one out of you ass as
well? I was taught that it was the spark caused by a dropped wrench,
and that tape is what burned. An explosion would have blown the craft
open from the inside. That did not happen.

One would think that all the switches on Apollo were already gas
tight.

Active8 March 18th 04 04:26 AM

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 13:08:33 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:

I was struck by a thought when I heard the latest Palestinian
terrorist trick is to send a kid through the border with a back-pack
bomb triggered by a cell phone....

The Israelis should get a telemarketer's speed dialer and constantly
dial away... boom... boom... boom...

ROTFLMAO!

...Jim Thompson

Had the liberals not f'd everything up, this would've been a common
counter-terror measure. You place radio transmitters at sensitive
locations to blow up car bombs before they got close enough to do
damage. The theory is that if the tango pusses out, another tango
remote detonates the bomb, so all bombs have a radio failsafe.
--
Best Regards,
Mike

Active8 March 18th 04 04:29 AM

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:35:02 -0700, Mark Fergerson wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

I was struck by a thought when I heard the latest Palestinian
terrorist trick is to send a kid through the border with a back-pack
bomb triggered by a cell phone....

The Israelis should get a telemarketer's speed dialer and constantly
dial away... boom... boom... boom...

If they could figure out from whom they're buying all
them pre-paid cellphones (in order to generate the number
lists), it could work. Just keep it running 24/7 with a
"Sorry, wrong number" message in case an innocent (or
unfinished bomb) answers.

I figure eventually they'll run out of suicide-bomb
volunteers. Might as well help if it can be done without
blowing anyone else up.

Mark L. Fergerson

Do you all think that tangos are dumb enough to trigger the bomb
with the ringer or would the detonator answer first and listen for a
DTMF sequence. Hmmm? Achmed the bomb maker gets a wrong number just
as he's connecting the thing.
--
Best Regards,
Mike

Active8 March 18th 04 04:33 AM

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 00:09:30 GMT, Roger Gt wrote:

"Paul Burridge" wrote
: Jim Thompson wrote:
:
:I was struck by a thought when I heard the latest Palestinian
:terrorist trick is to send a kid through the border with a
back-pack
:bomb triggered by a cell phone....
:
:The Israelis should get a telemarketer's speed dialer and
constantly
:dial away... boom... boom... boom...
:
:ROTFLMAO!
:
: Yes, I'm rolling on the floor laughing at all these deaths, too,
as
: I'm sure we all are.

Huh?
He seemed to be laughing at the lame Idea! I also thought it
funny that anyone would try something which would almost totally
wipe out the cellular phone service for the entire country...

does a 200 station phone room with auto-dialers all calling one
state wipe out POTs? WTH are *you* talking about?

Active8 March 18th 04 04:46 AM

On 17 Mar 2004 12:02:15 -0800, John Michael Williams wrote:

Claims that people have started fires by using
their cell phone while refueling a car apparently
are false: See
http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp
and other sites.

There was discussion of this and bad electric fuel pump designs last
year, but I don't recall anyone testing it out.

snip

So, I think sliding over on a car seat, and thus generating a
possible static charge, would be more likely to ignite gasoline
vapor than talking on a cell phone while refueling.

It is more likely and there's a gas station here that has a memo to
that effect (static - mainly in winter) posted where the customers
can *not* see it, duh! No signs on the pumps... The memo says you
should shock yourself on the car befor going to the pump. No one
thought about the vapor from the car on the other side of the
island.

Active8 March 18th 04 04:50 AM

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 19:16:45 -0800, DarkMatter wrote:

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 10:02:37 +1300, "Ken Taylor"
Gave us:

snipped previous

It's a bit of a stretch to think that cell-phones are a problem, whereas the
car driving off next to you, with a set of spark plugs going for their
lives, is not. Hmmmm.

Yes, I agree. At 40kV these days too, and sure... none of that
closed system leaks anywhere.... sure. It is ten orders of
magnitude more dangerous than any handheld (or ear held) transmitter
is to flammable liquid vapors.

One should turn one's engine off whenever not using the car, let
alone at fuel pump islands. Always!

The old adage that it costs more to restart an engine than to leave
it running is bull**** today. Fuel injected (or throttle body)cars do
not suffer the idle mixture swings or flooding risk of old carbureted
engines. Unless you are in a very very cold place, turn your friggin'
engine off when you aren't driving the friggin' car!

The guy next to you with the dangling plug wire arcing away, though.
Make me more determined to have fuel delivered to a home tank.

I got yelled at for leaving the engine running at a deisel pump
once. Some people just don't know how hard t is to ignite the stuff.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

Active8 March 18th 04 04:59 AM

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 13:33:06 -0800, Guy Macon wrote:

"John Michael Williams" wrote:

Thus, it appears it is not feasible to create a
hazardous spark with a CB at a gas station.

So, I think sliding over on a car seat, and thus generating a
possible static charge, would be more likely to ignite gasoline
vapor than talking on a cell phone while refueling.

Excellent set of experiments! I heartily approve of anyone who
does an experiment rather than taking someone's word.

Yeah. Amazing how much BS gets foisted on people.

Your methodology seems sound to me.

You might try putting a couple of drops of gasoline on a ceramic
plate and seeing if your wire is making a spark too small to see
but large enough to ignite the gasoline.

It's the vapor you want to try to ignite, so conditions will vary
depending on the wind. temperature, and pump rate which iis coutered
by the new vapor recovery systems installed on pumps.

I think the dangling plug wire is more dangerous than even smoking
at the pump. Ever throw a lit cigarette in a pail of gas. The cig
gets extinguished.

Another way of looking at it is with statistics. How many people
talk on cell phones while refueling? How many fuel fires occur?

|'Doc says...

|Turning off cell phones and radios seems like a reasonable
|precaution while fueling, I don't have a problem with that.
|I also don't understand why anyone else would either.

You don't understand why someone might be unwilling to miss
an incoming call when there is no apparent benefit?

--
Best Regards,
Mike

Active8 March 18th 04 05:04 AM

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 13:33:06 -0800, Guy Macon wrote:
snip

|'Doc says...

|Turning off cell phones and radios seems like a reasonable
|precaution while fueling, I don't have a problem with that.
|I also don't understand why anyone else would either.

You don't understand why someone might be unwilling to miss
an incoming call when there is no apparent benefit?

Uh, a local Pastor's douche-bag wife recently backed over a BP
station clerk here (while he was measuring the pumps) and drove off.
He's in friggin' pain. Cops pulled the snotty bitch over and she
claimed she didn't know she'd run over him. Was it the cell phone or
the blaring xtian music?
--
Best Regards,
Mike

Active8 March 18th 04 05:09 AM

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 21:50:35 -0600, Crazy George wrote:

IIRC, the Apollo capsule wire insulation was FEP, and was ignited when the
power conductor it insulated was mechanically pinched and shorted to ground.
It overheated enough from fault current to ignite before the breaker
tripped.

Kapton tape was blamed in the Swissair 400(?) cockpit fire and crash in
Newfoundland(?) a few years back.

Gasoline vapor fuel fires were ignited by early pagers and first generation
cell phones which used tiny universal motors with eccentric weights as
silent ring annunciators.

My Motorola Classic has one of those. What are they using now?

Find one of those old beasts and try running that
motor in a flammable environment.

OK ;)

Roger Gt March 18th 04 05:20 AM

"Active8" wrote
: Roger Gt wrote:
: "Paul Burridge" wrote
: : Jim Thompson wrote:
: :
[...]

Gee - Primitive! Not a Telephone guy I guess......
The last autodialer I worked on was a Dual DS3 line unit with a
router.
2 times 864 lines wide. A few of those would really choke a
network!

Tim Auton March 18th 04 05:39 AM

Active8 wrote:
[bombs]
Do you all think that tangos are dumb enough to trigger the bomb
with the ringer or would the detonator answer first and listen for a
DTMF sequence. Hmmm? Achmed the bomb maker gets a wrong number just
as he's connecting the thing.

I very much doubt they bother with DTMF decoders. I mean, how often do
you get a wrong number? I've had about 4 in my life. They'll just
connect the ringer (or vibrate function) to the detonator (with
whatever minimal circuitry in between is required - I've never used a
detonator!) and then only turn the phone on at the last minute.

It's not dumb to design a remote detonation system that requires the
absolute minimum of specialist knowledge and equipment to construct.

Tim
--
Love is a travelator.

Tim Auton March 18th 04 05:44 AM

Jim Thompson wrote:

I was struck by a thought when I heard the latest Palestinian
terrorist trick is to send a kid through the border with a back-pack
bomb triggered by a cell phone....

The Israelis should get a telemarketer's speed dialer and constantly
dial away... boom... boom... boom...

You would have to have every phone in the nation ring every couple of
hours. They're not going to be stupid enough to have the phone both
switched on and connected to the bomb until the last minute.

Tim
--
Love is a travelator.

'Doc March 18th 04 06:30 AM

Guy,
I don't understand why anyone would have a cell phone
stuck in their ear every waking moment, especially in a
car, or while fueling, or in a number of other places
where I've seen them. They can be and are a hazard while
driving, and a real P.I.T.A. in public places. (Hurray for
the states that passed a 'no cell phone while driving' law!)
Seriously, how many ~important~ calls have you ever had on
your cell phone when in a public place, or while driving
that couldn't have waited? Cell phones should be water
soluble, or biodegradable...
'Doc

John Michael Williams March 18th 04 08:38 AM

'Doc wrote in message ...
[...]

I was just trying to add some factual information to the
link I gave, which was just a lot of rumor--both pro and con
RF hazards. Check it out.

From time to time, I read postings about people complaining
about others gabbing on a cell phone while (self-serve)
refueling.

I don't follow what you say about cross-posting. I'm not a ham
operator, so if I am making some obvious mistake, I thought
adding the antenna group would get a correction. Is that your
interest?

Hopefully, this thread will end up by putting to rest
fears of cell phones around gas stations, at least from the
RF standpoint. Also, if I'm wrong, and there IS danger
from the RF, someone should be able to correct me. Either way,
it's an interesting topic, don't you think?

John

John Michael Williams

KLM March 18th 04 08:43 AM

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 05:39:21 +0000, Tim Auton
tim.auton@uton.[groupSexWithoutTheY] wrote:

Do you all think that tangos are dumb enough to trigger the bomb
with the ringer or would the detonator answer first and listen for a
DTMF sequence. Hmmm? Achmed the bomb maker gets a wrong number just
as he's connecting the thing.

I very much doubt they bother with DTMF decoders. I mean, how often do
you get a wrong number? I've had about 4 in my life. They'll just
connect the ringer (or vibrate function) to the detonator (with
whatever minimal circuitry in between is required - I've never used a
detonator!) and then only turn the phone on at the last minute.

It's not dumb to design a remote detonation system that requires the
absolute minimum of specialist knowledge and equipment to construct.

To use the unique cellphone ID to detonate a remote bomb is actually
a very ingenious innovation. No timers to mess with. The terrorist
has full and instant control of the time and place to set off the
bomb.

As Tim says its relatively easy to connect the ringer wires to a
simple circuit to output enough juice to trigger the detonator. Frist
year student project - like using a battery to keep a capacitor
charged and the ringer closes the discharge switch. Boom.

The countermeasure I think, is fairly simple. Every vulnerable public
place which may be targeted by terrorist bomb attacks, should install
cellphone signal blockers.

I believe these are already available and smart dining places and
concert halls have them so that their patrons won't be interrupted by
cellphones. I'll skip the arguments, mostly from cellphone service
providers, against signal blockers that may cause doctors and
emergency workers to miss their calls. Until some better solution
comes along I think this is a good solution. (Hint. Buy shares in
signal blocker companies.) If this suggestion is taken up perhaps
we'll get some peace from those incurable cellphone yakkers who think
the world wants to hear every word they say anywhere.

CW March 18th 04 08:59 AM

"KLM" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 05:39:21 +0000, Tim Auton
tim.auton@uton.[groupSexWithoutTheY] wrote:
The countermeasure I think, is fairly simple. Every vulnerable public
place which may be targeted by terrorist bomb attacks, should install
cellphone signal blockers.

Not in the US. Intentional interference is illegal. It likely is in most
places.

Dave Head March 18th 04 10:30 AM

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 05:39:21 +0000, Tim Auton
tim.auton@uton.[groupSexWithoutTheY] wrote:

Active8 wrote:
[bombs]
Do you all think that tangos are dumb enough to trigger the bomb
with the ringer or would the detonator answer first and listen for a
DTMF sequence. Hmmm? Achmed the bomb maker gets a wrong number just
as he's connecting the thing.

I very much doubt they bother with DTMF decoders. I mean, how often do
you get a wrong number? I've had about 4 in my life. They'll just
connect the ringer (or vibrate function) to the detonator (with
whatever minimal circuitry in between is required - I've never used a
detonator!) and then only turn the phone on at the last minute.

It's not dumb to design a remote detonation system that requires the
absolute minimum of specialist knowledge and equipment to construct.

Tim

New anti-terrorist weapon = telemarketers. They call everybody. Should wipe
out the bomb makers in about a week.

Dave Head

Paul Burridge March 18th 04 12:03 PM

Williams) wrote:

So, first conclusion: To get even a 1 V spark would take a
wire at least 9 m long, all somehow kept within 1 m of the
transmitter. Thus, it appears it is not feasible to create a
hazardous spark with a CB at a gas station.

I'm not entirely surprised. When CB first took off in the UK about 25
years ago some bright spark (no pun intended) discovered that the then
petrol pump meters could be slowed down by keying-up whilst filling up
and you could get a tank full of juice for a fraction of the price. As
soon as the petrol companies cottoned on to this they put around the
scare story about CBers risking explosions by making use of this scam.
I never bought it, partly because | have a big static problem and
during very dry days I get a massive spark discharge upon closing the
car door. This invariably happens at petrol stations, of course, as it
does everywhere else. I've never been blown up yet.
--

The BBC: Licensed at public expense to spread lies.

Rene Tschaggelar March 18th 04 01:08 PM

Jim Thompson wrote:
I was struck by a thought when I heard the latest Palestinian
terrorist trick is to send a kid through the border with a back-pack
bomb triggered by a cell phone....

The Israelis should get a telemarketer's speed dialer and constantly
dial away... boom... boom... boom...

Not really. The technology is far better.
Here you can get those industial mobiles with a serial
output. You can send an SMS which's string can be decoded by
software of you own microcontroller.

Rene

Spehro Pefhany March 18th 04 01:25 PM

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 14:08:26 +0100, the renowned Rene Tschaggelar
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
I was struck by a thought when I heard the latest Palestinian
terrorist trick is to send a kid through the border with a back-pack
bomb triggered by a cell phone....

The Israelis should get a telemarketer's speed dialer and constantly
dial away... boom... boom... boom...

Not really. The technology is far better.
Here you can get those industial mobiles with a serial
output. You can send an SMS which's string can be decoded by
software of you own microcontroller.

One could easily imagine a semi-smart anti-convoy bomb that could be
remotely triggered by a hidden operator to go off after a programmable
delay (with password), so signal jamming would be relatively
ineffective. Nasty, and hobbyist-level technology once you have the
phone.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Syd Rumpo March 18th 04 01:59 PM

In message , Guy Macon
writes

[Snipped]

It's silly to worry about cell phones when every car that drives in
has a high-voltage ignition system under the hood, 12V spark-producing
switches in the door frames, and a hot catalytic converter underneath
the car.

The RF/electrical bit seems like a red herring to me, but I suppose it
would be better to give full attention to the flammable liquid you're
pumping rather than a telephone conversation.

--
Syd Rumpo

Bob Masta March 18th 04 02:21 PM

wrote:

John Michael Williams wrote:

SNIP

However, the first radios transmitted
sparks, so in principle it should be possible to
transmit near a long wire separated by a small gap from
ground or another wire and get a small spark. So, I
decided to try an experiment.

SNIP

There is one other potential source for a spark that you did not
investigate.

A make/break contact in a switch causes sparks when opened. The US
Military specifies special shielded switches for their explosive, gas
vapor, etc., environments.

This reminds me of a story... (pause while room clears out).
Years ago I was an engineering student working for Cadillac
Motor Car. Electronic fuel injection was new then, and there
had been a couple of fires in the field that were suspected to
have been caused by leaky fuel lines, which were at higher
pressure than on the old carbureted cars. There were competing
theories, however, as to what exactly was setting off the fire.
I got assigned to help the guy doing the experiments to find out.

He had a car fitted with a plexiglas hood, topped by a small tower
with a high-speed movie camera pointing down for a good look
at anything happening in the engine compartment. Two fire
extinguishers were arranged to cover the under-hood area,
and a fuel vapor sensor was also installed there. The way
it was supposed to work was that he would drive and I would
operate the hand-pumped sensor, and at the first sign of fire
he would trigger the extinguishers. We ran all the tests
at the GM Proving Grounds in Milford, Michigan.

We tried making leaks in the fuel injection hoses. We had gas
spraying all over under the hood, collecting in pools on the
hot exhaust manifold. We tried poking holes in the spark
plug wire insulation. Nothing, no fire.

Finally I got a bright idea, and loosened the ground for the
air conditioner compressor clutch. The idea was that this
was a big inductor, and if the circuit opened there would
be a big spark. Then all we needed to do was get the
wire to bounce. We tried swerving from side to side,
and driving on bumpy tracks, but no deal. I was *sure*
that this spark would do the job, but we couldn't tell
if we were really getting the spark. So finally I stood on the
hood, holding on to the camera tower, so I could see
for myself if there were sparks. He drove down the
bumpy road one more time, and I did in fact see a spark:
The high-speed movie shows the fire spreading out
from it, more and more on each frame. Also on each
frame was the back of my head, moving away more
and more on each frame, until the extinguishers doused
everything. What a rush!

Them was the good ole' days.....

Bob Masta
dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom

D A Q A R T A
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com

Cecil Moore March 18th 04 02:47 PM

Paul Burridge wrote:
I've never been blown up yet.

You've never died yet, either. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

N. Thornton March 18th 04 05:56 PM

(John Michael Williams) wrote in message om...

I was just trying to add some factual information to the
link I gave, which was just a lot of rumor--both pro and con
RF hazards. Check it out.

From time to time, I read postings about people complaining
about others gabbing on a cell phone while (self-serve)
refueling.

I don't follow what you say about cross-posting. I'm not a ham
operator, so if I am making some obvious mistake, I thought
adding the antenna group would get a correction. Is that your
interest?

Hopefully, this thread will end up by putting to rest
fears of cell phones around gas stations, at least from the
RF standpoint. Also, if I'm wrong, and there IS danger
from the RF, someone should be able to correct me. Either way,
it's an interesting topic, don't you think?

You may have missed out one thing: did you try this with any resonant
loads? Resonant loads are not so hard to come by at the higher
frequencies.

Another question concerns spillage of gas: if youre yacking away its
much easier to spill fuel. I cant draw any conclusions but one has to
at least look at these factors.

Regards, NT

Wim Ton March 18th 04 06:45 PM

One thing that may set off a detonator is a RF field with a wavelength in
the order of the detonator leads.

From the time I worked with detonators on oilrigs, an absolute radio-silence
was required till the charge was safely lowered down the borehole.

Wim

Active8 March 18th 04 07:05 PM

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 10:30:45 GMT, Dave Head wrote:

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 05:39:21 +0000, Tim Auton
tim.auton@uton.[groupSexWithoutTheY] wrote:

Active8 wrote:
[bombs]
[...]

Not if they're on the Do Not Call list ;)
--
Best Regards,
Mike