Old June 1st 09, 09:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default SWR variation with feedline length

Along several decades of radio hamming on the HF bands, I noted that the
measured SWR of all the antennas I have mounted (Yagis, dipoles) slightly varies
when the feedline length is changed by several meters. For 100W of forward
power, the reflected power could vary somewhat, e.g. from 2W to 5W or so,
measured on a Bird wattmeter. This behavior would seeem to deny the theory,
according to which SWR is independent of feedline length (as long as the cable
attenuation remains constant).

Clearly the measured SWR change cannot be due to the change in the feedline
attenuation as, at HF, adding or cutting a few meters of cable would yield a
very small change in attenuation and hence a negligible impact on measured SWR.

Reading here and there, the most common theory explaining such phenomenon is
that, in presence of RF on the coaxial cable braid, the SWR meter reading is
influenced by the feedline length. I am not too convinced of that explanation,
also because I have invariably experienced the measured SWR variation phenomenon
with all antenna I have had, and I never had hot braid problems.

At that regard I got an idea that could explain the phenomenon, at least part of
it.

Reading coaxial cable data sheet, I noted that manufacturers typically give a
small tolerance on cable impedance (2 to 3 ohm). Let us then assume that the
feedline cable has a 53-ohm impedance, whilst the Bird wattmeter is 50 ohm
sharp.

If the 53-ohm cable is terminated on an e.g. 75-ohm (purely resistive) antenna,
the real SWR on the line would be 75/53=1.41 independently of feedline length
(if the attenuation variation with length is neglected). But the impedance seen
by the wattmeter obviously varies with the feedline length, and it can be easily
calculated that the seen impedance range results in an apparent SWR, on the
50-ohm wattneter, reading that varies from a maximum of 1.5 (when feedline
length is an even multiple of half wavelenght) down to a minimum of 1.33 (when
feedline length is an odd multiple of wavelenght quarters). For 100W of forward
power, the reflected power varies from about 4W down to about 2W.

Repeating the exercise with an e.g. 85-ohm load, the apparent SWR measured on
the 50-ohm wattmeter would vary from 1.7 down to 1.51 (reflected power varying
from 7W down to 4W).

You can get easily convinced that such variation is only due to the assumed
3-ohm difference in cable impedance.

With older cables having a nominal 52-ohm impedance, instead of 50, the
situation could get even more evident.

Any comment would be appreciated.

73

Tony I0JX

Old June 1st 09, 10:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Antonio Vernucci" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

The Bird actually measures a combination of capacitive coupled voltage and
inductively coupled current. There is a app note on the Bird website.
Find: "Straight Talk About Directivity".

Old June 1st 09, 10:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Antonio Vernucci wrote:
I noted that the
measured SWR of all the antennas I have mounted (Yagis, dipoles)
slightly varies when the feedline length is changed by several meters.

If the characteristic impedance of the feedline differs from
the characteristic impedance of the calibrated SWR meter,
the indicated SWR will vary with length of feedline.

If the feedline is lossy, the transmitted signal SWR will
decrease between the antenna and the transmitter. All
feedlines have a certain amount of loss.

If common-mode current is present on the SWR meter case,
the SWR reading will vary because the meter has no fixed
ground reference.
--
73, Cecil, IEEE, OOTC, http://www.w5dxp.com
Old June 2nd 09, 01:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

It's important to know and keep in mind that the SWR meter doesn't
actually measure the SWR on the feedline. So its reading doesn't prove
or disprove anything about how the SWR on a feedline changes with length.

What the meter effectively measures is the impedance seen at that point.
It's calibrated in such a way that if it's connected to a transmission
line of exactly 50 ohms impedance, the indicated SWR will be the SWR on
the line. Otherwise, the indicated SWR won't be the actual line SWR.

There are at least three things which can cause an indicated SWR
variation with line length:

1. The feedline Z0 isn't exactly 50 ohms. The Z0 of coax easily varies
+/- 5 ohms from nominal, and sometimes closer to +/- 10 -- it's seldom
exactly 50. If you connect a perfect 50 ohm load to your transmitter via
a 45 ohm line, the impedance seen by the transmitter will change with
line length. Consequently, the SWR meter reading will also change. The
actual SWR on the line will not, except as dictated by loss, described next.

2. The feedline has loss. The SWR will improve as the line becomes
longer due to line loss. If the line is long enough to be very lossy,
the transmitter will see nearly the line's Z0 regardless of what load is
connected to the other end. The actual SWR on the line will be greatest
at the load, decreasing as you get farther away.

3. There is current on the outside of the coax shield (common mode
current). When this happens, the feedline becomes part of the antenna.
Consequently, changing the feedline length actually changes the
effective antenna length, which in turn changes the feedpoint impedance.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Old June 2nd 09, 01:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 22:50:52 +0200, "Antonio Vernucci"
wrote:

Along several decades of radio hamming on the HF bands, I noted that the
measured SWR of all the antennas I have mounted (Yagis, dipoles) slightly varies
when the feedline length is changed by several meters. For 100W of forward
power, the reflected power could vary somewhat, e.g. from 2W to 5W or so,
measured on a Bird wattmeter. This behavior would seeem to deny the theory,
according to which SWR is independent of feedline length (as long as the cable
attenuation remains constant).

Hi Antonio,

Yes, this is the accepted wisdom.

Clearly the measured SWR change cannot be due to the change in the feedline
attenuation as, at HF, adding or cutting a few meters of cable would yield a
very small change in attenuation and hence a negligible impact on measured SWR.

A good point.

Reading here and there, the most common theory explaining such phenomenon is
that, in presence of RF on the coaxial cable braid, the SWR meter reading is
influenced by the feedline length.

This, too, is accepted wisdom.

I am not too convinced of that explanation,
also because I have invariably experienced the measured SWR variation phenomenon
with all antenna I have had, and I never had hot braid problems.

You ARE describing a hot braid problem. At the slight shift of 3W out
of 100W, it is a small problem by the same degree (nothing you would
notice by other indications).

At that regard I got an idea that could explain the phenomenon, at least part of
it.

Well, I am going to skip that quote to cut to the chase. What you
describe is called mismatch uncertainty. It exists in a cable that
has a nominal Z that matches neither the load nor the source.
Depending upon the amount of mismatch at each end, you have a zone of
confusion between those ends that will result in as many different
readings as you have insertion points to measure at. As most modern
transmitters have a source Z of 30 to 70 Ohms, you might note a very,
very small perturbation when the other end of ANY line is mismatched -
but I doubt it. To provoke this condition into revealing readings
that are significantly beyond the range of error requires mismatches
at both ends on the order of 3:1. You don't describe that.

More likely your problem is Common Mode currents - what you call hot
braid. One test is to use a snap-on choke and slide it along the line
and note if the SWR meter reading moves in concert with the hand
motion (or the reading simply shifts by the addition of the choke).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Old June 2nd 09, 01:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 1 jun, 22:50, "Antonio Vernucci" wrote:
[...]

Hello Antonio,

In my opinion (when dealing with actual antennas) it can be:

1. your coaxial cable is part of the antenna (common mode current).
Changing the length, changes the common mode impedance. You can rule
this out by sliding some large ferrites along the cable close to the
VSWR meter, or change the grounding a bit and watch the difference (if
present).

2. your bridge inside the VSWR meter is not perfect. You can check
this by connecting known impedances (for example 56 Ohms resistor and
a 44.6 Ohms resistor and 100 ohms versus 25 Ohms).

3. The cables you are using are not exactly 50 Ohms. I think your
analysis is right. When you have cable with slightly different Z0,
readings depend on length. Of course when you extend with a good 50
ohms cable (directly connected to the meter), the reading should not
change. I did the math also and found also VSWR=1.7 and VSWR=1.51 for
85 ohms load connected to cable with Z0=53 Ohms. I didn't expect such
difference for just 3 ohms deviation from 50 Ohm.

4. Harmonics in the final amplifier (I hope that is not the reason).

Best regards,

Wim
PA3DJS
www.tetech.nl
remove abc in case of pm

Old June 2nd 09, 04:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Antonio Vernucci" wrote in
:

Along several decades of radio hamming on the HF bands, I noted that
the measured SWR of all the antennas I have mounted (Yagis, dipoles)
slightly varies when the feedline length is changed by several meters.
For 100W of forward power, the reflected power could vary somewhat,
e.g. from 2W to 5W or so, measured on a Bird wattmeter. This behavior
would seeem to deny the theory, according to which SWR is independent
of feedline length (as long as the cable attenuation remains
constant).

Tony,

You may find my thoughts at
http://www.vk1od.net/transmissionlin...splacement.htm of interest.

Owen
Old June 2nd 09, 05:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jun 1, 1:50*pm, "Antonio Vernucci" wrote:
[...]

There is a very good possibility that your analysis is correct. I see
the same effect, and in fact, it's of particular concern to me right
now, because I'm putting what effectively is an SWR meter into
production, and it's important that we have a test setup that
accurately measures the performance. I've been specifically concerned
that the test setup, as currently configured, may have trouble because
the connecting cables may not be close enough to 50 ohms.

As others have said, IF there is a problem with RF on the outside of
the line, any variation in observed SWR is most likely because the
change in line length has changed the load the other end of the coax
is seeing, NOT because the meter is directly responding to the
"outside" RF. The meter measures transmission line current and
transmission line voltage, and the line itself is all the reference it
needs to do that. Direct response to RF on the outside of the line
could result from poor construction of the meter, but I wouldn't
expect that from a Bird.

One other possibility that I haven't seen mentioned, too, is that the
impedance of the line is not constant along its length. With line of
good construction that hasn't been abused, the variation should be
small. You can detect it by running a network analyzer sweep of just
the line, across a broad frequency range. But a line with
polyethylene dielectric (and especially one with foam polyethylene)
that's gotten too hot--perhaps because of high power at high SWR--can
have the center conductor go "off-center" and change the impedance.

If the effect you are seeing is the result of a line that's not quite
the same impedance that the meter is calibrated to (which itself may
be noticably different from 50 ohms), you could plot the change in
indicated SWR as a function of line length and see it vary in a smooth
and predictable manner. Most likely, though, what you're seeing is
the sum of several effects, and the variation in indicated SWR or
reflected power may not be all that smooth. Very often when I expect
to see a nice smooth spiral centered on one point on my network
analyzer's Smith chart display, what I see is a spiral that follows
along some arc, because of various imperfections. (Sometimes it's fun
to try to figure out just what the imperfections are...)

Cheers,
Tom
Old June 2nd 09, 06:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

It's important to know and keep in mind that the SWR meter doesn't actually
measure the SWR on the feedline. So its reading doesn't prove or disprove
anything about how the SWR on a feedline changes with length.

Hi, Roy

yes, that is the reason why I was talking of "apparent" or "measured" SWR,
whilst the real SWR does not vary with line length.

[...]

I would say that in case no. 1 the meter measures an apparent SWR, whilst in
case no. 2 it measures the real SWR existing at the measurement point. I am not
sure what it measures in case no. 3

Regards.

Tony I0JX

Old June 2nd 09, 06:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

If the characteristic impedance of the feedline differs from
the characteristic impedance of the calibrated SWR meter,
the indicated SWR will vary with length of feedline.

If the feedline is lossy, the transmitted signal SWR will
decrease between the antenna and the transmitter. All
feedlines have a certain amount of loss.

If common-mode current is present on the SWR meter case,
the SWR reading will vary because the meter has no fixed
ground reference.

Hi Cecil.

in the first case the meter measures an apparent SWR, whilst in the second case
it measures the real SWR (occuring at the measurement point).

For the third case, I am unable to figure out whether the meter reads an
apparent or the real SWR.

73

Tony I0JX