Old June 8th 09, 04:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default The End is Near...

I've been using usenet for about 15 years with various names. I just read
the announcement from AT&T that they are ending usenet services very soon.
That sucks. But so does growing old in general. Still, quite often it beats
the alternative.

To all of those that I have chatted with over the years and whom I may never
chat again, thanks. It's been fun.

Ed Cregger

Old June 8th 09, 05:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Ed Cregger" wrote in message
news
I've been using usenet for about 15 years with various names. I just read
the announcement from AT&T that they are ending usenet services very soon.
That sucks. But so does growing old in general. Still, quite often it

beats
the alternative.

To all of those that I have chatted with over the years and whom I may

never
chat again, thanks. It's been fun.

Ed Cregger

Just use web access. I use it even now when I see a broken thread and find
my ISP has somehow lost posts.

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Arch...tenna/2009-06/

Old June 8th 09, 05:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In news wrote:

To all of those that I have chatted with over the years and whom I may
never chat again, thanks. It's been fun.

There are lots of alternate sources for USENET, some free.

Here's a nice free one:

http://www.motzarella.org/

news.motzarella.org is a private project providing free access
to text-only Usenet News. The server has a 100MBit connection to
several Internet backbones and is integrated into the Usenet via
more than 60 peers.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old June 8th 09, 06:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

My provider, Comcast, also dropped the Usenet service a while back. I signed
up with Giganews.com to continue the service. There are many companies that
offer Usenet at a nominal fee.

Internet service providers are claiming that the Usenet is no longer
popular. (Notice that their fees do not drop when they drop Usenet.) Sure,
there are lots of Web based forums. But, there is no central location to
find a forum. Also, they all work differently and make you jump through
sign-up hoops (sometimes demanding too much personal information!).

--
Bob D. ND9B

news

Old June 8th 09, 11:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Bob D." wrote in message
My provider, Comcast, also dropped the Usenet service a
while back. I signed up with Giganews.com to continue the
service. There are many companies that offer Usenet at a
nominal fee.

Internet service providers are claiming that the Usenet is
no longer popular. (Notice that their fees do not drop
when they drop Usenet.) Sure, there are lots of Web based
forums. But, there is no central location to find a forum.
Also, they all work differently and make you jump through
sign-up hoops (sometimes demanding too much personal
information!).

--
Bob D. ND9B

"Ed Cregger" wrote in message
news
I've been using usenet for about 15 years with various
names. I just read
the announcement from AT&T that they are ending usenet
services very soon.
That sucks. But so does growing old in general. Still,
quite often it beats
the alternative.

To all of those that I have chatted with over the years
and whom I may never
chat again, thanks. It's been fun.

Ed Cregger

Google Groups works without any sign-up, at least for
reading. I use it when I am away from home. I think it works
only for text.
Earthlink/Netcom, my ISP, farmed out Usenet to Demonews
some time ago resulting in very much improved news group
performance.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles

Old June 9th 09, 01:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Ed Cregger wrote:
I've been using usenet for about 15 years with various names. I just read
the announcement from AT&T that they are ending usenet services very soon.
That sucks. But so does growing old in general. Still, quite often it beats
the alternative.

To all of those that I have chatted with over the years and whom I may never
chat again, thanks. It's been fun.

Ed Cregger

I'm now a happy member of forte.

MTV
Old June 9th 09, 09:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"MTV" wrote in message
Ed Cregger wrote:
I've been using usenet for about 15 years with various names. I just read
the announcement from AT&T that they are ending usenet services very
soon.
That sucks. But so does growing old in general. Still, quite often it
beats
the alternative.

To all of those that I have chatted with over the years and whom I may
never
chat again, thanks. It's been fun.

Ed Cregger

I'm now a happy member of forte.

MTV

I forgot about forte. Thanks for jogging the old memory.

Ed Cregger, AJ4PJ

Old June 9th 09, 09:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Ed Cregger wrote:
"MTV" wrote in message
Ed Cregger wrote:
I've been using usenet for about 15 years with various names. I just read
the announcement from AT&T that they are ending usenet services very
soon.
That sucks. But so does growing old in general. Still, quite often it
beats
the alternative.

To all of those that I have chatted with over the years and whom I may
never
chat again, thanks. It's been fun.

Ed Cregger

I'm now a happy member of forte.

MTV

I forgot about forte. Thanks for jogging the old memory.

Ed Cregger, AJ4PJ

Has anyone actually received notice from AT&T? All I have seen has been
on the various usenet groups. I googled AT&T and did not find anything.

Dave WD9BDZ
Old June 10th 09, 12:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

David G. Nagel wrote:
Ed Cregger wrote:
"MTV" wrote in message
Ed Cregger wrote:
I've been using usenet for about 15 years with various names. I just
read
the announcement from AT&T that they are ending usenet services very
soon.
That sucks. But so does growing old in general. Still, quite often
it beats
the alternative.

To all of those that I have chatted with over the years and whom I
may never
chat again, thanks. It's been fun.

Ed Cregger
I'm now a happy member of forte.

MTV

I forgot about forte. Thanks for jogging the old memory.

Ed Cregger, AJ4PJ

Has anyone actually received notice from AT&T? All I have seen has been
on the various usenet groups. I googled AT&T and did not find anything.

Dave WD9BDZ

I did.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH
Old June 10th 09, 11:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In article , "Ed Cregger"
wrote:

I've been using usenet for about 15 years with various names. I just read
the announcement from AT&T that they are ending usenet services very soon.
That sucks. But so does growing old in general. Still, quite often it beats
the alternative.

To all of those that I have chatted with over the years and whom I may never
chat again, thanks. It's been fun.

Ed Cregger

Hello, and if that's so can't you find another ISP? Even if you don't
have access to usenet, there are other non-usenet ham radio forums and
discussion groups. For a long time usenet/nntp was the only game in town
but there are plenty of alternativies out there now. Sincerely, and 73s
from N4GGO,

John Wood (Code 5550) e-mail:
Naval Research Laboratory
4555 Overlook Avenue, SW