Old June 9th 09, 10:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default 6m and 10m inv V calc

I question my calculations for a inverted-V dipole length for 50150 and
28400 into a 4:1 balun. I think they came out too short for 200ohms
center Z

Can someone confirm my two calculations?

Thank you!

Old June 9th 09, 11:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Pete wrote:
I question my calculations for a inverted-V dipole length for 50150 and
28400 into a 4:1 balun. I think they came out too short for 200ohms
center Z

Can someone confirm my two calculations?

Thank you!

Why don't you download the free EZNEC demo, which will do an inverted-V,
and see what it says?

http://www.eznec.com/demoinfo.htm

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old June 10th 09, 12:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Ralph Mowery wrote:
Why are you using a 4:1 balun with a dipole ? If it is a simple dipole with
only one wire in each direction instead of a folded dipole the impedance is
around 70 ohms. If you decide on a balun it should be a 1:1.
When adjusted for the lowest swr you may find that 1.4 to 1 is about as low
as it will go if you use a 50 ohm coax.

"Pete" wrote in message
I question my calculations for a inverted-V dipole length for 50150 and
28400 into a 4:1 balun. I think they came out too short for 200ohms
center Z

Can someone confirm my two calculations?

Thank you!

With a V, you can get the feedpoint impedance right to 50 ohms..
somewhere around 120 degrees included angle

Old June 10th 09, 02:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Pete" wrote in message
I question my calculations for a inverted-V dipole length for 50150 and
28400 into a 4:1 balun. I think they came out too short for 200ohms
center Z

Can someone confirm my two calculations?

Thank you!

With a V, you can get the feedpoint impedance right to 50 ohms..
somewhere around 120 degrees included angle

Dittos. Radiates equally poorly in all directions though A rotatable
dipole or 2 el beam would be a simple project.

Old June 10th 09, 04:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

JB wrote:

"Pete" wrote in message
I question my calculations for a inverted-V dipole length for 50150 and
28400 into a 4:1 balun. I think they came out too short for 200ohms
center Z

Can someone confirm my two calculations?

Thank you!

With a V, you can get the feedpoint impedance right to 50 ohms..
somewhere around 120 degrees included angle

Dittos. Radiates equally poorly in all directions though A rotatable
dipole or 2 el beam would be a simple project.

Nonsense.

The difference in broadside gain between a dipole and an inverted V is
about 0.5 db.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old June 10th 09, 05:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

JB wrote:

"Pete" wrote in message
I question my calculations for a inverted-V dipole length for 50150 and
28400 into a 4:1 balun. I think they came out too short for 200ohms
center Z

Can someone confirm my two calculations?

Thank you!

With a V, you can get the feedpoint impedance right to 50 ohms..
somewhere around 120 degrees included angle

Dittos. Radiates equally poorly in all directions though

The pattern from a inverted V with 120 degree included angle (30 degree
droop from horizontal) is almost the same as a horizontal dipole at the
same height. If the apex of the V is about 1/3 of the droop distance
higher than the dipole, the "ground reflection" component is about the same.

For the 10m example here, the dipole is 5m long, roughly. A 30 degree
droop is about a meter on the 2.5 meter leg on the dipole. (e.g. sin 30
is 0.5), so putting the dipole a foot higher (30cm) will give you almost
the same pattern as a horizontal dipole.

A rotatable
dipole or 2 el beam would be a simple project.

given the complexity of rotators in general, rigging up two crossed
dipoles and a switch might be a better solution.

Old June 10th 09, 09:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jun 10, 11:15*am, Jim Lux wrote:

given the complexity of rotators in general, rigging up two crossed
dipoles and a switch might be a better solution.

Don't even need the switch.. Just feed the crossed dipoles
with a single coax line and off to the races.

Old June 15th 09, 06:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote in message
On Jun 10, 11:15 am, Jim Lux wrote:

given the complexity of rotators in general, rigging up two crossed
dipoles and a switch might be a better solution.

Don't even need the switch.. Just feed the crossed dipoles
with a single coax line and off to the races.

Truly. I just hung 40m from 80m wire with some spreaders. If I had more
wire I would add a couple more at 80m just for bandwidth.

I doubt that 6 and 10 meter cause any interaction with a common feed. At
that size a rotatable dipole is easily made with mobile whips. A rotatable
dipole takes advantage of the deep nulls.

A dipole with 120 degrees included angle is just a droopy dipole. An
inverted V with 90 degrees included angle or less has a combination of
vertical and horizontal components to its radiation and is more
omnidirectional. More so with a metal supporting mast.