Old June 20th 09, 12:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Antenna Orientation Question

Hi,

Figure that if anyone would know, it would be you folks.

Seem to get contradictory results, so I thought I'd ask you experts out
there. For receiving digital TV with a a simple, cheap, R/S indoor rabbit
ear antenna
Works fairly well.

For rabbit ears indoor, what is the theoretical best orientation toward a
single station ?

e.g., a plane encompassing the two ears would best be pointed toward the
station, or the plane
should be perpendicular to the direction of the station ?

b. For the UHF loop:
the plane of the loop of the antenna should be pointed toward the station,
or perpendicular to it ?

I realize it might be hard to visualize the plane that I refer to, but
frankly don't know any other way of
describing orientation.

Perhaps one way would be to say if the rabbit ears are both the exact same
distance to the antenna,
or if they are in a line with one right behind the other ponting to it ?

Would be more or less the same kind of description I guess for the UHF loop
(parallel to the rabbit ears plane, or at 90 deg. to the rabbit ear plane) ?

Perhaps you know of a pix on a website that answers my question by showing a
pix of how it should be pointed ?

Much thanks,
Bob

Old June 20th 09, 01:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 07:59:07 -0400, "Robert11"
wrote:

[...]

In general, the "plane" of the antenna should be pointed toward the
station. For example, if the station is north of you, the elements
(or the sides of the UHF loop) would be pointing east and west. Of
course, rabbit ear antennas are one huge compromise and should be
pointed however they work best whether or not it makes sense or fits
with theory. The desired signal might just be reflecting off your
refridgerator so aiming that way is best at that moment.
Old June 20th 09, 06:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

For rabbit ears indoor, what is the theoretical best orientation toward a
single station ?

Hi Bob,

The rabbit ears should be spread wide and facing the strongest signal
(as if to embrace it).

e.g., a plane encompassing the two ears would best be pointed toward the
station,

No.
or the plane
should be perpendicular to the direction of the station ?

Yes.

b. For the UHF loop:
the plane of the loop of the antenna should be pointed toward the station,

No.
or perpendicular to it ?

Yes.

The plane should not extend to the source of the strongest signal; it
should be broadside to it as if to catch it all (like a soccer goal).

As for "shoulds" and the shift of emphasis away from station and
towards the "strongest signal." This is obvious from experience until
you add the knowledge of where the station is which may confound
expectation. For indoor operation, the arriving signal may undergo a
lot of reflections in the neighborhood, or within the home
environment. Hence, the relation of the antenna towards the station
may seem to be at odds when that strongest reflection comes from
another angle.

This troubling situation is reduced by raising the antenna so that the
over-the-air transmission is clearly the strongest over all
reflections. That is why we call this mode "line of sight." If you
cannot literally see the station antenna, what you are receiving is
coming to you through a myriad of paths of reflection. Obviously you
are limited in how high you can raise an antenna indoors. No doubt
you are equally experienced with the seeming caprice of aiming an
indoor antenna at a consistent well behaved signal. This is what
drives antennas outdoors and up.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old June 21st 09, 12:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default From OP: Thanks. Antenna Orientation Question

Hi,

Just a quick thanks for the info; appreciate it.

Bob