RadioBanter

-   -   has anyone built the coat hanger ant for dtv yet? (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/144679-has-anyone-built-coat-hanger-ant-dtv-yet.html)

John Bose June 20th 09 02:49 PM

has anyone built the coat hanger ant for dtv yet?

i keep seeing the high tech version ant on you tube and pbs .

Gordon[_2_] June 22nd 09 02:45 AM

has anyone built the coat hanger ant for dtv yet?

(John Bose) wrote in news:12654-4A3CE8D7-7347
@storefull-3172.bay.webtv.net:

i keep seeing the high tech version ant on you tube and pbs .

Everyone seems to love that silly thing. And it seems to work
in spite of itself.

I tried a version of it, but it didn't work any better than
two bowties on a stick. He
http://mysite.verizon.net/g_reeder/C...V_antenna.html

Mine looks better.

Jeff Liebermann[_2_] June 23rd 09 06:33 AM

On 22 Jun 2009 03:45:53 +0200, Gordon wrote:

Everyone seems to love that silly thing. And it seems to work
in spite of itself.

I tried a version of it, but it didn't work any better than
two bowties on a stick. He
http://mysite.verizon.net/g_reeder/C...V_antenna.html

Mine looks better.

http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/antennas/DTV-jw/
This one was built by a friend (without my involvement). I rather
like the use of common hardware store parts and pieces. I'm trying to
convince him to make some changes and to replace the electrical wire
elements with sheet aluminum, but otherwise, methinks it's rather
clever. I haven't made any measurements yet, so I don't know how well
it's matched.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Allodoxaphobia June 23rd 09 02:56 PM

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 08:49:11 -0500, John Bose wrote:
i keep seeing the high tech version ant on you tube and pbs .

My soldering iron must be too hot -- because it keeps melting clear
through the plastic coat hangers.

John Bose June 23rd 09 06:08 PM

has anyone built the coat hanger ant for dtv yet?

that ant looks like a pro did it how well does it pick up

Jeff Liebermann[_2_] June 23rd 09 07:40 PM

has anyone built the coat hanger ant for dtv yet?

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 12:08:15 -0500, (John
Bose) wrote:

that ant looks like a pro did it how well does it pick up

Dunno. I haven't had time to play with it or bug the builder (name
withheld). He just sent me the photos and asked me for advice on some
details. I don't like the "phasing" lines between bowties. I would
say it's NOT ready for prime time, yet. He's now building a huge
version of the same antenna.

If you wanna build your own, look into construction articles on
Gray-Hoverman antennas such as:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/ota/superantenna/
http://www.casano.com/projects/hoverman/index.html
http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/04/06/diy-gray-hoverman-antenna-promises-better-ota-reception/
etc...

Remember... the uglier the antenna, the better it works.

Gordon[_2_] June 23rd 09 09:23 PM

has anyone built the coat hanger ant for dtv yet?

Jeff Liebermann wrote in
:

On 22 Jun 2009 03:45:53 +0200, Gordon wrote:

Everyone seems to love that silly thing. And it seems to work
in spite of itself.

I tried a version of it, but it didn't work any better than
two bowties on a stick. He
http://mysite.verizon.net/g_reeder/C...V_antenna.html

Mine looks better.

http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/antennas/DTV-jw/
This one was built by a friend (without my involvement). I rather
like the use of common hardware store parts and pieces. I'm trying to
convince him to make some changes and to replace the electrical wire
elements with sheet aluminum, but otherwise, methinks it's rather
clever. I haven't made any measurements yet, so I don't know how well
it's matched.

Shouldn't the lines between the elements be crossed?
Or the feed point be taken from between the elements?

Jeff Liebermann[_2_] June 24th 09 05:50 PM

has anyone built the coat hanger ant for dtv yet?

On 23 Jun 2009 22:23:10 +0200, Gordon wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote in
:

On 22 Jun 2009 03:45:53 +0200, Gordon wrote:

Everyone seems to love that silly thing. And it seems to work
in spite of itself.

I tried a version of it, but it didn't work any better than
two bowties on a stick. He
http://mysite.verizon.net/g_reeder/C...V_antenna.html

Mine looks better.

http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/antennas/DTV-jw/
This one was built by a friend (without my involvement). I rather
like the use of common hardware store parts and pieces. I'm trying to
convince him to make some changes and to replace the electrical wire
elements with sheet aluminum, but otherwise, methinks it's rather
clever. I haven't made any measurements yet, so I don't know how well
it's matched.

Shouldn't the lines between the elements be crossed?
Or the feed point be taken from between the elements?

Ooops. You're right. They should be crossed. I didn't notice.
Thanks. Like I said, I haven't had time to do much more than stare at
it. (Not my design or construction).