Old June 25th 09, 08:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default i need some ideas on a homemade hazer ?

has anybody have any brainstorm ideas my tower is like the old style
flat bar type about 30 ft high.to me hazer cost to much plus i think you
can make some smiler much less in cost beware of the patten police

Old June 26th 09, 03:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 14:43:20 -0500, (John
Bose) wrote:

has anybody have any brainstorm ideas my tower is like the old style
flat bar type about 30 ft high.to me hazer cost to much plus i think you
can make some smiler much less in cost beware of the patten police

And in which language is this message written ?
Old June 26th 09, 03:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John Bose wrote:
has anybody have any brainstorm ideas my tower is like the old style
flat bar type about 30 ft high.to me hazer cost to much plus i think you
can make some smiler much less in cost beware of the patten police

The Glen Martin kits for Rohn's are $3-400, not bad methinks.

Marv
W5MTV
Old June 26th 09, 07:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

It can certainly be done. The hardest part for me was figuring a way
to lock the thing in at the top. Wound up using a spring loaded bar
that slid into a corresponding 'loop' on the hazer. The rest is just
simple and not so simple mechanics, sort of. You might think about
putting 'rub' buffers on the hazer, some kind of plastic or whatever.
Good luck.
- 'Doc

Old June 26th 09, 03:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

thanks doc

Old June 26th 09, 05:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

'Doc wrote:
It can certainly be done. The hardest part for me was figuring a way
to lock the thing in at the top. Wound up using a spring loaded bar
that slid into a corresponding 'loop' on the hazer. The rest is just
simple and not so simple mechanics, sort of. You might think about
putting 'rub' buffers on the hazer, some kind of plastic or whatever.
Good luck.
- 'Doc

skateboard wheels
or
inexpensive casters

Pick ones with the right materials and loose tolerances (so it doesn't
rust and the inevitable crud doesn't jam it)

OR... high density polyethylene (poor man's Teflon).. cutting boards are
a good source.. quite durable, easy to cut to make rub pads or rings or
forks.
Old June 27th 09, 09:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jun 25, 3:43*pm, (John Bose) wrote:
has anybody have any brainstorm ideas my tower is like the old style
flat bar type about 30 ft high.to me hazer cost to much plus i think you
can make some smiler much less in cost beware of the patten police

Ive only seen one DIY hazer. It was a larger tower section slipped
over the regular tower and the guy had added some rollers and guides.
This might be a real pain to install if the tower is already populated
with antennas. This was a show and tell at a club meeting and lets see
its been 15 years since I went to a club meeting.

Anyway his biggest point was that it was pretty easy to make once you
knew how to make the guides, just take a section of tower that will
slide over yours and bolt on the guides. Of course there's the matter
of the winch and pulley system. I didnt catch that part.

Jimmie
Old June 27th 09, 11:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

hey jimmie that is a great idea i wll be looking around for a bigger
section of tower thank you sir for the info

Old June 28th 09, 04:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jun 27, 6:27*pm, (John Bose) wrote:
hey jimmie that is a *great idea i wll be looking around for a bigger
section of tower thank you sir for the info

John, Whatever type tower you decide to use look at one of there
catalogs, they will probably have some interesting bits and pieces you
could use. Using at least somre of their stuff may save you some
engineering.

Jimmie
Old June 28th 09, 03:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Bose) wrote:

has anybody have any brainstorm ideas my tower is like the old style
flat bar type about 30 ft high.to me hazer cost to much plus i think you
can make some smiler much less in cost beware of the patten police

I have been thinking along these lines in a slightly different way. I
choose to call the traveling part a "tram". I have a forty foot
utility pole ready to plant but there is no way I will ever climb it.
It is a little more complicated because it is about 12 inches in
diameter at the bottom and about 6 inches in diameter at the top.

I envision something like an inverted crank up tower mechanism. I am
planning a long sleeve (3 feet?) pulled up by one or two steel cables.
As the tram approaches the top, vee notches in the upper end of the
sleeve will engage a big pin through the pole to align & stabilize the
horizontal position. The vertical positioning will be accomplished by
wedges length wise on the pole that do not engage the inner surface of
the tram until the last few feet of travel.

There is no new technology here so no patent issues. The choice of
materials for the tram is important, it must be strong but light as
possible!

If anyone is inclined to turn my idea into a commercial product I
would be flattered!

John Ferrell W8CCW

Ideas for Simple Homemade 17 Metre Antenna Andiroo Antenna 9 September 7th 07 05:13 PM
Home Made Hazer Ideas? DOUGLAS SNOWDEN Antenna 7 January 12th 06 03:43 PM
Voyager Hazer ..?? Bill Antenna 0 December 21st 05 11:32 PM
Hazer H-3 FS to Belton Charlie Hugg Swap 0 September 27th 05 06:12 PM
Ideas for a homemade mobile antenna. Chris CB 152 June 24th 04 02:13 AM