Old June 29th 09, 10:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Newbie Question

I'm not an amateur radio guy or anything like that. I recently bought
a Kaito KA1103 Worldband Radio, mainly to get better reception of AM
stations. I sometimes like to listen to discussion shows at night and
the local selection is limited. The reviews seemed to indicate that
the radio has good AM discrimination, etc. Well, so far it doesn't
seem to be any better than my little 20 year old Sony Walkman radio.
I've also scanned through the short wave frequencies and found
nothing, but that was not my main reason for getting the radio.

The radio came with an "antenna" that seems to be one big loop of wire
with a plug at one end that goes into the radio and a plastic clip at
the other end. I'm not sure what to do with it and have read somewhat
contradictory advice on the internet. Nothing that I have tried has
resulted in any better reception. I also see somewhat inexpensive loop
antennas advertised.

Any suggestions for improving AM reception would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks.
Old June 29th 09, 10:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

pixel_a_ted wrote:
[...]

First, the external antenna is intended for shortwave, so that's not
going to help.

The reviews I read stated that AM was quite good, better than some
radios that I know are good, but that the AC adapter is quite noisy. If
you are using that, try running just on batteries.

If that doesn't work out for you, locate a GE Superradio or go C Crane
site and get a CC Radio. The CC Radio is the best I've ever used that
has straight AM detection and costs less than $300. Their site is
www.ccrane.com.

good luck
tom
K0TAR
Old June 29th 09, 10:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

pixel_a_ted wrote:
[...]

It looks like the original model CCRadio that I own has been replaced by
the CCRadio-2.

tom
K0TAR
Old June 29th 09, 11:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"pixel_a_ted" wrote in message
[...]

Hi "Ted"

If you wanted AM stations in the 0.5 to 2 MHz band, you might be happy
with a tuned loop. I went "overboard and made a big multiturn loop that can
be located outside but tuned and rotated from inside, It gets too
complicated to both rotate and tune a big, outside AM Loop antenna. But,
that really works well for reception of AM radio from long distances. You
might find something in this site http://www.mindspring.com/~loop_antenna/

Jerry KD6JDJ

Old June 30th 09, 04:27 AM
Junior Member

Location: East Texas

Here what you ight consider doing;
The additional wire should, hopefully, increase the signal you capture. If you have window close to where you listen to your radio, stretch the wire around the room , at the highest level you can INDOORS. I use cup hooks to supend the wire. This will improve the shortwave signals. To improve the MW signals in the AM band, do some researach at some of the Yahoo groups on MW natennas and it has much more infor mation than I can list here. The 1103 is good portable, but DO NOT hook it up to an outside atenna. It will overload and you will get false signals everywhere. A good loop antenna or a Select-Tenna will improve the MW section. Hope this helps. Email me if you have questions. KE5LDO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom View Post
pixel_a_ted wrote:
[...]

__________________
Extra Class
Volunteer Examiner
ARRL Instructor

Old June 30th 09, 12:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jun 29, 4:09*pm, pixel_a_ted
Any suggestions for improving AM reception would be greatly
appreciated.

___________

Medium-wave AM reception can be difficult in an indoor environment due
to shielding provided by nearby wires and especially from the steel
frame of a building. Radio noise from light dimmers, touch lamps etc
nearby (yours and/or your neighbors) can limit AM reception, also.

This Kaito radio has a built-in ferrite antenna that is used for AM
broadcast reception. It is directional with best reception when the
longest dimension of the radio is perpendicular to the direction to
the station it is receiving. The telescopic whip is used for short
wave and FM broadcast reception, only.

According to the Operation Manual at http://www.ccrane.com/instruction-ma...1103-radio.pdf
, this radio needs a field strength as high as 1 mV/m on the AM
broadcast band. That is rather high, but some of the 50,000 watt AM
stations like WJR (760), WLW (700), KMOX (1120) etc can produce
nighttime fields that high or higher over wide areas of the US.

The "Local/DX" switch probably should be in the DX position when
listening to distant stations, unless you are located close to an AM
station with a very strong signal at your location (experiment).

You might take your radio outside to see if reception improves. If it
does you may need to use an external MW antenna such a "long wire" or
the C. Crane unit at http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/am-an...m-antenna.aspx
.. Unfortunately, the Crane antenna costs more than you paid for your
Kaito radio, probably.

RF
Old June 30th 09, 01:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

tom wrote:
The CC (Crane) Radio is the best I've ever used that
has straight AM detection and costs less than $300.

I read rave reviews so I bought one and the display
failed. I only use the memory channels now. It's
also not any better than my Yacht Boy 400.
--
73, Cecil, IEEE, OOTC, http://www.w5dxp.com
Old July 1st 09, 12:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

Cecil Moore wrote:
tom wrote:
The CC (Crane) Radio is the best I've ever used that has straight AM
detection and costs less than $300.

I read rave reviews so I bought one and the display
failed. I only use the memory channels now. It's
also not any better than my Yacht Boy 400.

Sorry to hear that. Mine is running strong at about 10 years old.

Never played with a Yacht Boy. My experience with Grundigs is with the
smaller/cheaper models which aren't impressive and the giant ones that
are way too expensive for the performance they give. The big ones
aren't bad, but not close to the performance of what I could buy a used
amateur rig for the same price, so I've stayed away.

tom
K0TAR
Old July 1st 09, 02:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 07:54:34 -0500, Cecil Moore
wrote:

tom wrote:
The CC (Crane) Radio is the best I've ever used that
has straight AM detection and costs less than $300.

I read rave reviews so I bought one and the display
failed. I only use the memory channels now. It's
also not any better than my Yacht Boy 400.

The display in my original CCRadio failed, too -- I sent it back to
the Crane folks and they put in a new display for $25, one that has
much better longevity, they say. Still going strong after several
years.

Bob
k5qwg
Old July 1st 09, 03:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Bob wrote:
The display in my original CCRadio failed, too -- I sent it back to
the Crane folks and they put in a new display for $25, one that has
much better longevity, they say. Still going strong after several
years.

Thanks Bob, maybe I should do that.
--
73, Cecil, IEEE, OOTC, http://www.w5dxp.com

Newbie question RHF Shortwave 1 November 21st 06 11:44 PM
Newbie Question Joseph Benson Scanner 1 February 4th 06 12:55 AM
Newbie question -- Probably first one ever Johnny Scanner 2 October 7th 04 02:23 AM
Newbie (More or Less) Question SubTropical Scanner 0 September 30th 04 03:13 AM
NEWBIE Question Greg Shortwave 7 November 1st 03 08:09 PM