Old August 3rd 09, 03:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc

Default Minimum gauge wire for connection to ground rod

I have about a 50 foot run from my radio to the outside ground rod. What's the minimum gauge wire
that is acceptable for this connection?
Old August 3rd 09, 05:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc

On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 02:58:29 GMT, "KJ4NTS" wrote:
What's the minimum gauge wire that is acceptable for this connection?

Code.
Old August 3rd 09, 10:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc

On 2-Aug-2009, Richard Clark wrote:

What's the minimum gauge wire that is acceptable for this connection?

Code.

I'm not aware of any electrical code that covers the wire gauge required to ground an amateur radio
and antenna.
Old August 3rd 09, 11:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc

On Aug 3, 7:53*pm, "KJ4NTS" wrote:
On *2-Aug-2009, Richard Clark wrote:

What's the minimum gauge wire that is acceptable for this connection?

Code.

I'm not aware of any electrical code that covers the wire gauge required to ground an amateur radio
and antenna.

Is this intended as an RF ground or lightning protection?
Old August 3rd 09, 11:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc

On 3-Aug-2009, Brad wrote:

Is this intended as an RF ground or lightning protection?

Primarily an RF ground since the antennas will be in my attic. However, I would appreciate the
information for both cases.

Old August 3rd 09, 04:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"KJ4NTS" wrote in message

On 3-Aug-2009, Brad wrote:

Is this intended as an RF ground or lightning protection?

Primarily an RF ground since the antennas will be in my attic. However, I

would appreciate the
information for both cases.

I think code calls for #6 solid Copper or Aluminum for lightning protection.
Consider the 50 ft as part of the antenna though. Rather than even trying
to have an RF "ground" try to make a counterpoise instead. Read up on the
difference between RF ground, lightning ground, and electrical ground. You
don't say what kind of antenna.

Old August 3rd 09, 03:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc

On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 09:53:56 GMT, "KJ4NTS" wrote:
What's the minimum gauge wire that is acceptable for this connection?

Code.

I'm not aware of any electrical code that covers the wire gauge required to ground an amateur radio
and antenna.

Get acquainted. It is a very simple matter of a non-trivial issue.
Old August 3rd 09, 06:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc

Richard Clark wrote:
On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 09:53:56 GMT, "KJ4NTS" wrote:
What's the minimum gauge wire that is acceptable for this connection?

Code.

I'm not aware of any electrical code that covers the wire gauge required to ground an amateur radio
and antenna.

Get acquainted. It is a very simple matter of a non-trivial issue.

http://tinyurl.com/ns7jjd

Is a nice station grounding pdf from Polyphasor. Sorry for the tinyurl,
the original url is a mile long.

Everyone should have a copy, and the writer should get an award for his
or her clarity.

Richard is correct. It is simple, and it is not trivial.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -
Old August 3rd 09, 06:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc

On 3-Aug-2009, Michael Coslo wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/ns7jjd

Is a nice station grounding pdf from Polyphasor. Sorry for the tinyurl,
the original url is a mile long.

Everyone should have a copy, and the writer should get an award for his
or her clarity.

That's a good article, but it is focused on grounding for lightning protection. I am interested in
that, but I am also interested in having an effective RF ground.

I've been able to get a total of 16 feet of ground rod down in the form of 4 four-foot rods, but I
have a 50 foot run from my office to the ground rods, and I'm concerned about RF impedance in that
connection.
Old August 3rd 09, 06:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 02:58:29 GMT, "KJ4NTS" wrote:

I have about a 50 foot run from my radio to the outside ground rod. What's the minimum gauge wire
that is acceptable for this connection?

The last time I checked the minimum wire size for a ground intended to
protect from lightning is #6.

50 feet of any wire will not work as an RF ground for anything other
than a quarter wave at 50 feet!

Your next question is about driving another ground rod: If you do, the
second ground must be tied to the first with a minimum of #6 wire or
you set up a dangerous ground loop.