Old September 4th 09, 07:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default true or... ?

On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 19:03:02 +0200, "-.-. --.-" wrote:

Thanks for reply, Richard.
Take also into account that, although i don't know much mathematic, i don't
have any doubt that is impossible that this kind of antenna can have a great
or also medium efficiency.

Hi OM,

Efficiency in percent (%) is simple math: 100 * PowerOut/PowerIn

In decibels, I won't show the math, I will give some example:
100% is 0dB
95% is -0.22dB
90% is -0.46dB
80% is -0.97dB
50% is -3dB
10% is -10dB

Look at your S-Meter. If any station added 5% efficiency, going from
95% to 100%, then your S-Meter would shift 0.22dB. The needle of your
S-Meter is probably more than 1dB thick when you look at it. The
needle would then move 1/5th of its thickness when a station adds 5%
efficiency.

Considering your 1/4 wave AM broadcast antenna example, is not an accident
that nor military nor broadcast installations used in the past a type of
antenna like the EH/HZ...
... and military brains have knowledges that we in the "civilian" world can
use maybe after 20-30 years.

I have been in the military - antennas work the same there too. I was
a teacher of RF Systems (LF/MF/HF/VHF/UHF/SHF). There is no magic
knowledge hidden by the government.

And, if this really works, one don't waste time writing PDF. He start
working in radio with this antenna, and if the antenna is *really* what he
claim, he will be in a very short time a rich man.

A very short time needs to be defined. This "antenna" has been around
for a long time and no one has gotten rich (and the buyers have lost
money, time, and signal).

Anyone can write a useless PDF. Anyone can get a useless patent too.
I have observed patent holders who post here that have forgotten their
own patent numbers, their own patent claims, their own URLs, their own
email addresses, and their own theory. Talk about a waste of time,
but it is wasted with the vigor of a seven year old. It would seem
that wasting time, money, and signal power was equivalent to earning a
PhD in Einsteinomics and advanced Gaussology.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old September 5th 09, 12:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Richard Clark" ha scritto nel messaggio
Hi OM,

Efficiency in percent (%) is simple math: 100 * PowerOut/PowerIn

In decibels, I won't show the math, I will give some example:
100% is 0dB
95% is -0.22dB
90% is -0.46dB
80% is -0.97dB
50% is -3dB
10% is -10dB

Look at your S-Meter. If any station added 5% efficiency, going from
95% to 100%, then your S-Meter would shift 0.22dB. The needle of your
S-Meter is probably more than 1dB thick when you look at it. The
needle would then move 1/5th of its thickness when a station adds 5%
efficiency.

Straight and clear. Well, maybe my knowledge of physics and mathematic can
go a bit far, including understand e.g. ground losses, path loss in free
space, takeoff angle, feed point impedance and other silly things regarding
antenna world but sorry, Maxwell equations are a bit harder for me

I have been in the military - antennas work the same there too. I was
a teacher of RF Systems (LF/MF/HF/VHF/UHF/SHF). There is no magic
knowledge hidden by the government.

Well, i'm ever a optimistic mind... i just think that maybe tomorrow i can
use something better antenna thanks to MIL research ... like a trick to
build a 160m yagi in the same space of a 40 m yagi of course, just
joking... OTH radar DUGA-3 in Prypiat, ex USSR now Ukraine, is a good
example for me, MIL also need big antenna system.

Anyone can write a useless PDF. Anyone can get a useless patent too.
I have observed patent holders who post here that have forgotten their
own patent numbers, their own patent claims, their own URLs, their own
email addresses, and their own theory. Talk about a waste of time,
but it is wasted with the vigor of a seven year old. It would seem
that wasting time, money, and signal power was equivalent to earning a
PhD in Einsteinomics and advanced Gaussology.

Well, let say that *today* is more obvious and easy that this total waste
happen. Globalization and the internet make very easy for timewasters to get
a large public for the things they are saying/writing/claiming. And the
same, in a reverse way, happens to the skilled people, that have occasions
to read tons of wrong assertions on the internet. Many years ago the worst
case is to listen to timewasters on a local repeater or on a 40/75/80 meters
net.
When i don't understand something, the first thing i do is ask, ask and ever
ask.

Unfortunately, today is easy in the same manner both turning on a computer
and turning on a radio to communicate with other people.
Unless you don't have a wireless connection, the computer have as a bonus
that don't need any kind of antenna.

Thanks for your time,

-.-. --.-, Cristiano, Italy.

Old September 5th 09, 01:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sat, 5 Sep 2009 01:14:36 +0200, "-.-. --.-" wrote:

Straight and clear. Well, maybe my knowledge of physics and mathematic can
go a bit far, including understand e.g. ground losses, path loss in free
space, takeoff angle, feed point impedance and other silly things regarding
antenna world but sorry, Maxwell equations are a bit harder for me

Hi Cristiano,

The only people that rely on things like Maxwell's equations, or
Gauss' Law are those who don't know the math.

You don't need that math to discuss 99% of the art of design. That
math might be mentioned, but whoever is trying to use it as their sole
point of discussion is someone who is lost.

I have been in the military - antennas work the same there too. I was
a teacher of RF Systems (LF/MF/HF/VHF/UHF/SHF). There is no magic
knowledge hidden by the government.

Well, i'm ever a optimistic mind... i just think that maybe tomorrow i can
use something better antenna thanks to MIL research ... like a trick to
build a 160m yagi in the same space of a 40 m yagi of course, just
joking... OTH radar DUGA-3 in Prypiat, ex USSR now Ukraine, is a good
example for me, MIL also need big antenna system.

Military designs and commercial designs did lead the way for practical
antennas .... 70 years ago. If you want to build an 160M version of a
RADAR antenna you might get more argument from your neighbors than you
will find here. That huge antenna will show every characteristic at
160M as it does at SHF, but you better be pointed in the right
direction.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Could this be true? Mo Fo? General 0 November 28th 04 12:33 AM
True JunkMan Scanner 0 October 28th 04 05:46 PM