Old January 26th 10, 07:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default QRP is bad?

Because aliens won't be able to find us.....

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...to-aliens.html

Old January 26th 10, 07:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Wayne" wrote in
:

Because aliens won't be able to find us.....

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...-transmissions
-make-Earth-invisible-to-aliens.html

Never mind the Earth, some would say we're all better off if the LGM can't
see the Sun. Non-Brits might have to ponder that one a while...
Old January 26th 10, 08:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...lite-transmiss...
-make-Earth-invisible-to-aliens.html

Never mind the Earth, some would say we're all better off if the LGM can't
see the Sun. Non-Brits might have to ponder that one a while...

The statement 'while old-style TV transmissions could generate one
million watts, digital transmissions are much weaker' is nonsense.
The coverage of the digital services in the UK is matched to that of
the analogue services and, if we can receive the signals ...

Chris
Old January 26th 10, 10:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

At the leading edge of the sphere of expanding analog TV radiation are
the Howdy Doody Show and the McCarthy hearings. No intelligent alien
would come anywhere near this planet.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old January 26th 10, 11:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message , Wayne
writes
Because aliens won't be able to find us.....

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...e-transmission
s-make-Earth-invisible-to-aliens.html

"Dr Drake said he believed that intelligent life DOES exist beyond
Earth.

"He reckoned alien civilisations were likely to be far more advanced
than ours and that their analogue TV age probably went long ago. That in
turn means that the world's search for their signals is that much
harder."

Maybe they can still do morse?
--
Ian

Old January 26th 10, 11:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Roy Lewallen wrote:
At the leading edge of the sphere of expanding analog TV radiation are
the Howdy Doody Show and the McCarthy hearings. No intelligent alien
would come anywhere near this planet.

That was the mistake IMHO of Contact. Although it would have made bad
movie action, there were many years of morse code and audio long before
"Uncle Adolf's I'm the Master Race and You're Not Show" was supposedly
broadcast.

Not counting the fact that the Germans did not broadcast it, television
in Germany at the time was shown in special theaters and AFAIK delivered by
telephone lines (anyone who knows differently feel free to correct me).

Long before Howdy Doody and McCarthy were two world wars and so on.

What I think would be more likely their question if they landed is "What
happened to the people who were going to go to the stars?"

While we may have faked the moon landings or not, 40 years later the
only way we can tell is to look up at the sky and hope we can see
something.

A manned moon landing now is just science (or historical) fiction. :-(

Geoff.

New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.
Old January 26th 10, 11:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Chuckle ..

Roy Lewallen wrote:

At the leading edge of the sphere of expanding analog TV radiation are
the Howdy Doody Show and the McCarthy hearings. No intelligent alien
would come anywhere near this planet.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Especially if they had to watch Howdy Doody on a 7 inch Hallicrafters black and
white rack mount TV screen. Which is where I first saw it on WICU-TV in Erie,
Pennsylvania.

Or the first TV received broadcast ever seen in College Station, Texas, on the
top floor of the Bolton Hall Electrical Engineering building at Texas A&M
College here in I think 1946 on Parent's Day that year. That was on Channel 2
from KPRC-TV in Houston that prized day. On a flying spot scanner which I
watched. I asked, "Why up on the top floor of the building?" Answer, "Mike,
how else do you think we can afford an antenna up high enough to see the TV
station signal from Houston?"

Hmmmmmmmmm.... or Whirrrrrrrr.. depending on whatever, grin...

W5WQN

--

-- Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

Mike Luther
Old January 27th 10, 09:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 10:02:27 -0800, "Wayne"
wrote:

Because aliens won't be able to find us.....

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...to-aliens.html

Any sufficiently advanced communication technology is
indistinguishable from random noise.
--Richard Factor's Corrolary to Clarke's Third Law.

This may explain why SETI is having problems finding alien
transmissions. If they're using UWB (ultra wide band) spread spectrum
from DC to light, then it's unlikely a narrow band coherent detection
system is going to find their signal.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old January 30th 10, 04:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Dear Group: Frank Drake hired me for my first job in radio astronomy.
Years latter, I learned that he was most impressed that I had a first class
FCC commercial license (that type of license is long gone). Did some neat
propagation research in the hills of West Va. (where we did use antennas!)
Prof. Drake had an involved mathematical model that he used to suggest
existence of other people.

The December 1959 paper by Costas made clear the inherent advantages and
disadvantages of wide-bandwidth modulation systems. As others have
observed, narrow bandwidth emissions are most unlikely.

73, Mac N8TT

--
J. McLaughlin; Michigan, USA
Home:

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , Wayne
writes

Old January 30th 10, 07:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

J. Mc Laughlin wrote:
Dear Group: Frank Drake hired me for my first job in radio astronomy.
Years latter, I learned that he was most impressed that I had a first class
FCC commercial license (that type of license is long gone). Did some neat
propagation research in the hills of West Va. (where we did use antennas!)
Prof. Drake had an involved mathematical model that he used to suggest
existence of other people.

The December 1959 paper by Costas made clear the inherent advantages and
disadvantages of wide-bandwidth modulation systems. As others have
observed, narrow bandwidth emissions are most unlikely.

73, Mac N8TT

And there's another factor, brilliantly illuminated in a short story in
Analog magazine years ago. A series of scenes took place, each involving
a different alien species in some distant solar system. In each scene a
discussion was taking place, involving budgetary restraints and the
prohibitive expense of transmitting powerful signals for other
civilizations to pick up. Each one, in turn, decided to reduce expenses
by listening only. . .

Roy Lewallen, W7EL