Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 30th 10, 12:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default RG6 and RG59

Sorry, I strongly suspect this is a very old can of worms I'm exhuming, but
here goes...

The web is full of advice (and noise) about RG6 being better than RG59, but a
small proportion of experience-based postings suggests that RG59 is often
adequate even where UHF signals are used, especially if it includes a foil
shield under a braid shield, and it has a foam dielectric. Less common is a
point suggesting that for HF (and perhaps CCTV and other video, as well as
S/PDIF digital audio) it might be better to use RG59 because its braid is
better at screening for these lower frequencies to get better SNR. This seems
to make sense, but it is it so? It appears to me that for domestic scales an
RG59 with the added foil shield and a foam dielectric might be the best coax
to use for low power signals, until some weakness dictates a specific
requirement for improvement.