Old February 13th 10, 03:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Carl and Jerry Magnetometer

Andy writes:

I remember from 50 or so years ago reading a copy of POP
electronics, or
maybe ELEC illustrated, which featured a couple of young boys named
Carl
and Jerry and the stuff they messed about with each month. Kind of
like
a "Mr Wizard" story.....

One of the articles was winding a coil of wire around a plastic
bottle of
water and exciting it , then watching the output from the coil as "the
water
molecules oscillated"...... I don't remember the details, but they
called
the affair a "differential proton magnetometer", and used it to
measure
magnetic fields....

Does anyone else here remember this article, and do you have any
means
to clarify the method, and possibly the practice ?

Being retired, I have a lot of time on my hands to do experiments,
especially
simple ones, and I thought it would be a hoot to explore this for a
day or
two. However, I don't remember enough details to be able to put
together
a proof of concept in my workshop...

Thanks in advance for anything anyone here can suggest...

Andy W4OAH in Eureka, Texas
Old February 13th 10, 04:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"AndyS" wrote in message
Andy writes:

[...]

The one you want is from April 1964 Popular Electronics. There are many of
them here, but not the one you want.
http://home.gwi.net/~jdebell/pe/cj/cnjindex.htm

What they did was to wrap a plastic baby bottle full of water with a lot of
wire. Then it was hooked to a switch so a battery could be placed across
the coil for a second or so. Then it was switched to a high gain amp and
into the vertical channel of an oscilloscope. The horizontal channel was
fed with an oscillator of around 2000 to 2500 Hz. The osicllator was
adjusted so a circle was displayed on the scope. This was the self resonate
frequency of the water molecules or whatever in the bottle. When the bottle
was passed over an object the circle would spin or change indicating the
frequency of the bottle had changed.
I must have been about 14 years old when I read this.

Old February 13th 10, 06:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 06:54:08 -0800 (PST), AndyS
wrote:

Does anyone else here remember this article

Printed books may be ordered through Lulu.com at the following URL:
http://www.lulu.com/copperwood

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old February 13th 10, 07:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

"differential proton magnetometer"

See:
http://gerf.org/~jasegler/proton_mag/proton.htm

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old February 13th 10, 07:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 10:45:37 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

The horizontal channel was
fed with an oscillator of around 2000 to 2500 Hz.

From link previously offered:
The frequency at which the protons precess is directly proportional to the strength of the earth's magnetic field. This is the Proton Gyromagnetic Ratio, equal to .042576 Hertz / nanoTesla. For example, in an area with a field strength of 57,780 nT (such as my home), the frequency of precession would be approximately 2460 Hz.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Old February 14th 10, 12:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

"differential proton magnetometer"

See:
http://gerf.org/~jasegler/proton_mag/proton.htm

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

I went to the page listed above,
and all of these links are dead!
Must be the technology was deemed TOP SECRET.
http://www.diamondjim.bc.ca/ppm.htm
http://protonmag.listbot.com/
http://www.webspan.net/~magres/
http://gerf.org/~jasegler/proton_mag/magsound.wav
http://www.peopleconnectionblog.com/...-been-shutdown
http://gretchen.geo.rpi.edu/roecker/.../mag/main.html
http://mars.ark.com/~koehler/ppm.htm
http://www.portup.com/~dfount/home.htm
Mike ahh, err I mean Jeff :-)

Old February 14th 10, 01:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 2/13/2010 6:54 AM, AndyS wrote:
Andy writes:
Thanks in advance for anything anyone here can suggest...

Andy W4OAH in Eureka, Texas

Well, I can suggest PPM's are kewl! (Proton Precession Magnetometers)
But, I probably would not get much thanks for that ...

So:

http://prints.iiap.res.in/bitstream/...1/BHARGAVA.pdf

The above gives complete circuitry. Unfortuantly, the preamp is
tube--so the complete unit ends up a hybrid. I would substitute Fets
for the tubes.

http://www.ilotresor.com/prospection...n_protons.html

The above offers some good ideas--click the pictures (small images) on
it for relevant pages and info. Sensor construction data also.

.... and ...

http://www.copperwood.com/carlandjerry.htm
.... you did mean this Carl and Jerry, right?

Regards,
JS
Old February 14th 10, 06:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 17:38:39 -0600, "amdx" wrote:

I went to the page listed above,
and all of these links are dead!

The page that contains the complete math and physics can be found at:
http://www.geotech1.com/pages/mag/in...KoehlerMag.pdf

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old February 14th 10, 06:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Feb 13, 2:54*pm, AndyS wrote:
Andy writes:

* I remember from 50 or so years ago reading a copy of POP
electronics, or
maybe ELEC illustrated, which featured a couple of young boys named
Carl
and Jerry and the stuff they messed about with each month. *

Quote from a story

'"I'm calibrating the temperature-reporting unit of our Tele-
Tattletale," Jerry explained with a teasing grin on his round face.

"Oh, fine! I didn't know we had one!" ejaculated Carl.'

Great stuff.

Old February 17th 10, 12:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

AndyS wrote:
Andy writes:

I remember from 50 or so years ago reading a copy of POP
electronics, or
maybe ELEC illustrated, which featured a couple of young boys named
Carl
and Jerry and the stuff they messed about with each month. Kind of
like
a "Mr Wizard" story.....

One of the articles was winding a coil of wire around a plastic
bottle of
water and exciting it , then watching the output from the coil as "the
water
molecules oscillated"...... I don't remember the details, but they
called
the affair a "differential proton magnetometer", and used it to
measure
magnetic fields....

Do

Other references exist, but you probably want to take a look at
Scientific American, "The Amateur Scientist", "How to make a sensitive
magnetometer" February 1968, page 124. Used discrete transistors and LC
filters on pot cores. I suspect one can do much better today with opamps
and microcontrollers, and I'm sure someone has done it if you google around.

See also
http://www.gellerlabs.com/PMAGThoughts.htm for an update..