RadioBanter

-   -   W2DU's Reflections III is now available from CQ Communications, Inc. (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/150898-w2dus-reflections-iii-now-available-cq-communications-inc.html)

walt April 17th 10 02:10 AM

W2DU's Reflections III is now available from CQ Communications, Inc.

To order a copy of the 3rd edition of Reflections, authored by Walter
Maxwell, W2DU, go to the W2DU website at www.w2du.com, then go to page
2 and click on the following:

Order Reflections III from CQ Online BookStore

Walt, W2DU

Tad Danley[_2_] April 18th 10 01:31 AM

walt wrote:
To order a copy of the 3rd edition of Reflections, authored by Walter
Maxwell, W2DU, go to the W2DU website at www.w2du.com, then go to page
2 and click on the following:

Order Reflections III from CQ Online BookStore

Excellent! Congratulations and thank you, Walt!

73,

Tad Danley, K3TD
EM10dq

tom April 18th 10 01:59 AM

On 4/16/2010 8:10 PM, walt wrote:
To order a copy of the 3rd edition of Reflections, authored by Walter
Maxwell, W2DU, go to the W2DU website at www.w2du.com, then go to page
2 and click on the following:

Order Reflections III from CQ Online BookStore

Walt, W2DU

Ordered mine.

Didn't see any discounts, unless the discount was just included
transparently.

tom
K0TAR

Wayne April 18th 10 05:03 PM

"walt" wrote in message
To order a copy of the 3rd edition of Reflections, authored by Walter
Maxwell, W2DU, go to the W2DU website at www.w2du.com, then go to page
2 and click on the following:

Order Reflections III from CQ Online BookStore

Walt, W2DU

Done. Thanks for the heads up, and congrats to you Walt.
--Wayne
W5GIE

tom April 19th 10 12:08 AM

On 2010-04-18, wrote:
Ordered mine.

Didn't see any discounts, unless the discount was just included
transparently.

Free shipping if ordered before May 10 or some date like that. Ordered mine
also. Kudos to Walt for getting this out.

73 ...Edwin, KD5ZLB

That must be it, I checked my order confirmation and have free shipping.

tom
K0TAR

Frank[_12_] April 20th 10 05:08 PM

W2DU's Reflections III is now available from CQ Communications, Inc.

Free shipping if ordered before May 10 or some date like that. Ordered
mine
also. Kudos to Walt for getting this out.

73 ...Edwin, KD5ZLB

That must be it, I checked my order confirmation and have free shipping.

tom
K0TAR

I even got free shipping to Canada.

Frank (VE6CB)

K7JEB[_2_] April 20th 10 10:16 PM

W2DU's Reflections III is now available from CQ Communications,Inc.

Order Reflections III from CQ Online BookStore

Excellent! Congratulations and thank you, Walt!

Good deal, Walt, thanks for the notice.... and, yeah, congrats on
the publication

Jim, K7JEB

Sven Lundbech April 24th 10 03:28 PM

"walt" skrev i en meddelelse
To order a copy of the 3rd edition of Reflections, authored by Walter
Maxwell, W2DU, go to the W2DU website at www.w2du.com, then go to page
2 and click on the following:

Order Reflections III from CQ Online BookStore

Walt, W2DU

Dear Walt,

Ever since reading your 1973 QST articles, being a second-year student at
the Polytechnics/Technical University of Copenhagen, I have referred to your
ground-breaking work for removing the myths and misunderstandings of the
(un)importance of the swr over and over again. Somewhere I still have the
ageing photocopies of all the articles. But having the opportunity to get it
all and more in one piece in Reflections III is really greast. I have
ordered my copy right away.

Later on, both in my professional life after receiving my MSc(EE) as a radio
engineer and during my 19 years as Technical Editor of 'OZ' (the Danisk QST)
I have had to weed out misconceptions about swr and transmission lines. My
early understanding from your work was a great help. Thanks!

All the best,

vy 73
OZ7S Sven

W0BTU April 25th 10 08:40 AM

On Apr 16, 8:10*pm, walt wrote:
To order a copy of the 3rd edition of Reflections, authored by Walter
Maxwell, W2DU, go to the W2DU website atwww.w2du.com, then go to page
2 and click on the following:

* * * * * * * * * * * *Order Reflections III from CQ Online BookStore

Walt, W2DU

I've seen people talking about it in the other forums, and I looked at
the three sample excerpts at w2du.com. That's all I know about it. It
sounds interesting, but I need to at least see a table of contents
(index would be nice, too) before I think about ordering it. Is that
possible?

TIA.

73 Mike

Kjell W. Strom May 22nd 10 11:54 AM

W2DU's Reflections III is now available from CQ Communications, Inc.

Walt: For somebody who missed out on Reflections II, it looks like a lot of
fine reading - many thanks!

Sven: Got delivery here in Holland today.

73,
Kjell PB3SM - SM6CPI

"Sven Lundbech" wrote in message
k...

Sven Lundbech May 22nd 10 10:06 PM

"walt" skrev i en meddelelse
[...]

Got delivery to-day.

As mentioned earlier, most of the stuff is old hat to me - but I really look
forward to dig into the chapters concerning tx output impedance. A highly
controversial subject for decades.

vy 73
OZ7S Sven

Owen Duffy May 23rd 10 09:29 AM

W2DU's Reflections III is now available from CQ Communications, Inc.

"Sven Lundbech" wrote in
k:

As mentioned earlier, most of the stuff is old hat to me - but I
really look forward to dig into the chapters concerning tx output
impedance. A highly controversial subject for decades.

Here is a simple little test for the hypothesis that Zs=50+j0 that uses
equipment found in many if not most HF ham shacks.

Owen

Owen Duffy May 23rd 10 09:31 AM

W2DU's Reflections III is now available from CQ Communications, Inc.

Owen Duffy wrote in news:Xns9D81BC11E3183nonenowhere@
61.9.191.5:

"Sven Lundbech" wrote in
k:

As mentioned earlier, most of the stuff is old hat to me - but I
really look forward to dig into the chapters concerning tx output
impedance. A highly controversial subject for decades.

Here is a simple little test for the hypothesis that Zs=50+j0 that uses
equipment found in many if not most HF ham shacks.

Oh, the URL: http://vk1od.net/blog/?p=1028 .

Owen

walt May 24th 10 03:01 AM

On Apr 25, 3:40*am, W0BTU wrote:
On Apr 16, 8:10*pm, walt wrote:

To order a copy of the 3rd edition of Reflections, authored by Walter
Maxwell, W2DU, go to the W2DU website atwww.w2du.com, then go to page
2 and click on the following:

* * * * * * * * * * * *Order Reflections III from CQ Online BookStore

Walt, W2DU

I've seen people talking about it in the other forums, and I looked at
the three sample excerpts at w2du.com. That's all I know about it. It
sounds interesting, but I need to at least see a table of contents
(index would be nice, too) before I think about ordering it. Is that
possible?

TIA.

73 Mike

Hi Mike,

Since attachments aren't allowed on these NGs I can't send what you
want. If you'll send me your email address I'll send you some material
from the book. My email address is .

Walt, W2DU

walt May 24th 10 03:28 AM

[...]

Hello Sven,

Glad you received your copy today. To pique your interest in tx output
impedance, Chapter 19 will do that for you, especially Sec 19.14 on
Page 19.22. This section describes in detail, in fourteen steps, how
the output Z is measured.

I've seen a lot of discussion on this subject, and most of it shows
that many who discuss it don't have a clue to the correct answer.
Which is why I have made many measurements of the output Z to
determine the truth.

The output Z is determined principally by the proper adjustment of the
tank circuit with respect to the load. I'm talking now only about tube
amps with pi-network tank circuit coupling the amp tube to the load. I
cannot comment on solid-state rigs, or those that have no tuning
adjustments.

There are those who believe that the output Z = 50 + j0, and there are
those who believe the Z is much higher. Here's what really happens.
With any practical grid drive, load and tune the amp into a 50 + j0
dummy load to deliver all the available power. In this case the output
Z of the amp will be 50 + j0 ohms.

Now add 50 ohms of inductive reactance to the same dummy load. The
result is now a load impedance of 50 + j50 ohms. Now reload and retune
the pi-network to again deliver all the available power into the new
complex-impedance load. The new output Z? 50 - j50 ohms, the conjugate
of the complex load impedance. In other words, to determine the output
Z of the amp, simply load it into an impedance of known value such
that all the available power is delivered at a reasonable drive level.
The output Z is then the conjugate of the load impedance.

You say you want proof of this simplistic procedure? Fine. It's all
right there in the fourteen steps in Sec 19.14 that describe the
entire measurement procedure. I'm sure you'll find the procedure
enlightening.

Walt, W2DU

walt May 24th 10 03:33 AM

On May 23, 10:01*pm, walt wrote:
On Apr 25, 3:40*am, W0BTU wrote:

On Apr 16, 8:10*pm, walt wrote:

[...]

Mike, apparently one can't divulge one's email address on this NG.
However, we'll fool 'em--the word preceding @ is walt. So there, too.

Walt

Keith Dysart[_2_] May 24th 10 12:30 PM

On May 23, 4:31*am, Owen Duffy wrote:
Owen Duffy wrote in news:Xns9D81BC11E3183nonenowhere@
61.9.191.5:

"Sven Lundbech" wrote in
. dk:

As mentioned earlier, most of the stuff is old hat to me - but I
really look forward to dig into the chapters concerning tx output
impedance. A highly controversial subject for decades.

Here is a simple little test for the hypothesis that Zs=50+j0 that uses
equipment found in many if not most HF ham shacks.

Oh, the URL:http://vk1od.net/blog/?p=1028.
Owen

While the analysis of transmitter output impedance in Reflections is
flawed,
experiments (claimed to be repeatable) described in Reflections appear
support the conclusions of the flawed analysis.

It would be highly valuable if the results of these experiments could
be
explained in a manner that aligns with established understandings.

Such an explanation might start by describing the circuit conditions
that
result from following the manufacturer’s tuning procedures. After
all,
these usually depend on measuring currents and voltages so are only
indirectly related to power. Perhaps the resulting conditions are not
as they are usually assumed to be.

Try as I might, I have not been able to derive a mechanism to explain
the observations in Reflections. But the explanations offered in
Reflections require large chunks of linear circuit theory to be
discarded,
so this does not seem to be an appropriate path.

....Keith

Cecil Moore May 24th 10 02:23 PM

On May 24, 6:30*am, Keith Dysart wrote:
Such an explanation might start by describing the circuit conditions
that result from following the manufacturer’s tuning procedures.

On an old tube transmitter, e.g. a Globe Scout, when the manufacturer
specifed a particular grid current and a particular plate current,
does that imply a particular single resistive load line for the final
tube? Why were those particular grid and load currents chosen? Maximum
efficiency? Tube life? Minimum distortion?
--
TNX & 73, Cecil, w5dxp.com

Keith Dysart[_2_] May 24th 10 03:06 PM

On May 24, 9:23*am, Cecil Moore wrote:
On May 24, 6:30*am, Keith Dysart wrote:

Such an explanation might start by describing the circuit conditions
that result from following the manufacturer’s tuning procedures.

On an old tube transmitter, e.g. a Globe Scout, when the manufacturer
specifed a particular grid current and a particular plate current,
does that imply a particular single resistive load line for the final
tube? Why were those particular grid and load currents chosen? Maximum
efficiency? Tube life? Minimum distortion?

Excellent questions. I have often wondered if the manufacturer's
tuning
procedures had anything to do with maximizing output power transfer,
or
were they, in fact, optimizing some other aspect.

....Keith

walt May 24th 10 03:55 PM

On May 24, 7:30*am, Keith Dysart wrote:
[...]

Keith, would you please elaborate on why you believe my analysis of
transmitter output impedance is flawed? And what is the basis for your
belief that my explanations in Reflections require large chunks of
linear circuit theory to be discarded. Could it be because you
consider the source resistance in the transmitter to be dissipative,
as in the classical generator? If so, you must be made to realize that
the source resistance of the transmitter is non-dissipative, which is
the reason that its efficiency can exceed 50%.

Or are you considering the output characteristic of the transmitter to
be non-linear? This is not the case, because the effect of energy
storage in the tank circuit isolates the non-linear input from the
output circuit, which is linear as evidenced by the almost perfect
sine wave appearing at the output of the tank.

One last question: Are you basing your dissatisfaction of Reflections
from reviewing the 2nd or 3rd edition? Chapter 19 has been expanded in
the 3rd edition, in which I presented additional proof of my position
on the subject that you should be aware of. If you haven't yet seen
the addition that appears in the 3rd ed, please let me know so that I
can send you a copy of the addition. Also include your email address
so I can send it.

Keith, you are the only person I know of who appears to have found
flaws in my presentation on this subject. Which is why I'm anxious to
know exactly why you believe my presentation is flawed.

Walt Maxwell, W2DU

Richard Clark May 24th 10 11:58 PM

W2DU's Reflections III is now available from CQ Communications, Inc.

On Mon, 24 May 2010 07:06:44 -0700 (PDT), Keith Dysart
wrote:

I have often wondered if the manufacturer's
tuning
procedures had anything to do with maximizing output power transfer,
or
were they, in fact, optimizing some other aspect.

This resolves quickly in measurement - no need to wonder unless it
offers some secondary benefit of not measuring things.

An alternative is to simply examine conventional design
considerations. One can add to Plate current by throwing a lot of
power into the grid. More plate current yields more output power
results, but grid lifetime plumments.

One can do innumerable things to force an artificial outcome that
strains to prove a distorted logic. Examining a suite of sources, in
initial conditions that are average for their application quickly
reveals a common design paradigm.

******

The fundamental answer to your question is the manufacturer ultimately
designs for market domination, or maximum investment return (the two
don't necessarily converge). Thus the marketplace gives us a spectrum
of choice and the norm of the distribution reveals cautious design
that has its eye on a value exchange expressed in money. THAT is the
only optimization you can expect = in an honest barter, you get what
you pay for.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Keith Dysart[_2_] May 25th 10 12:15 AM

On May 24, 10:55*am, walt wrote:
Keith, would you please elaborate on why you believe my analysis of
transmitter output impedance is flawed? And what is the basis for your
belief that my explanations in Reflections require large chunks of
linear circuit theory to be discarded. Could it be because you
consider the source resistance in the transmitter to be dissipative,
as in the classical generator? If so, you must be made to realize that
the source resistance of the transmitter is non-dissipative, which is
the reason that its efficiency can exceed 50%.

No problems there. There has been much confusion in this area and
anything
that reduces this confusion is beneficial.

Or are you considering the output characteristic of the transmitter to
be non-linear? This is not the case, because the effect of energy
storage in the tank circuit isolates the non-linear input from the
output circuit, which is linear as evidenced by the almost perfect
sine wave appearing at the output of the tank.

This may be the root of my disagreement. Certainly the output can be
an
arbitrarily perfect sine wave, but this simply depends on the
characteristics of the filter and not on whether the system is linear.

But the way the filter transforms the impedances is the crux of the
issue.

It is my understanding that the input impedance to a filter can be
computed by starting with the load impedance applied to the filter and
then, using the rules for series and parallel connected components,
compute the way through the filter until reaching the input and the
result is the input impedance to the filter.

Similarly, the output impedance of the filter can be computed by
starting with source impedance driving the filter, series and
paralleling
the components until reaching the output and the result is the output
impedance of the filter.

The desired impedance for the input to the filter is that impedance
which
produces the desired load on the tube. And the component values are
computed to produce this load on the tube when the correct load is
attached to the output.

For the output impedance of the filter, the question then becomes:
What
is the source impedance driving the filter? If the source is
constructed
as a Class A amplifier, then it depends on the controlling device,
and
for the simplest of circuits would be Rp of the tube. (Just for
clarity,
in this discussion Rp is the slope of the plate E/I curve with
constant
grid voltage. In an ideal tube, these lines are equidistant apart and
the
slopes are the same. Real tubes, of course, are not so well behaved,
but
this should not affect the basic discussion.)

Since the component values for the filter were chosen to provide the
optimum load to the tube, and the optimum load value has no relation
Rp, there is no reason to expect the filter will transform Rp to be
the conjugate of the load impedance.

For amplifiers where conduction is not for 360 degrees (Class AB, B,
C),
the controlling device is no longer time-invariant so the rules for
linear circuit analysis no longer apply. None-the-less, for example,
consider a Class AB amplifier where the tube is only cut off for 1
degree. This short cut-off would not have much affect so the analysis
for Class A would apply. As the cut-off period increases the behaviour
will diverge more and more from that of the Class A amplifier.

Simulations produce some interesting results:

Another way of measuring the source impedance is to observe the effect
on a reflected wave entering the amplifier from the load. With a
Class
C amplifier, simulation reveals that the effect on the reflected wave
depends on the phase of that wave with respect to the drive signal
applied to the tube. As the phase of the reflected wave is changed,
the reflection co-efficient experienced by the wave changes. Truly a
non-linear behaviour. Intriguingly, when the conduction angle is
exactly
180 degrees, this effect largely disappears, and the result is much as
if the source impedance of the tube was 2 times Rp, which seems to
make some sense since the tube is only conducting one-half of the
time.

One last question: Are you basing your dissatisfaction of Reflections
from reviewing the 2nd or 3rd edition? Chapter 19 has been expanded in
the 3rd edition, in which I presented additional proof of my position
on the subject that you should be aware of. If you haven't yet seen
the addition that appears in the 3rd ed, please let me know so that I
can send you a copy of the addition.

I have been reading the .pdfs at w2du.com along with correspondence
and
other writings in QST, QEX and newsgroups.

The expanded Chapter 19 at w2du.com offers more experimental evidence
that seems to support the hypothesis that the transmitter is conjugate
matched to the load after tuning,

But given, from circuit analysis, that the output impedance can not be
well defined for any but a Class A amplifier, the fascinating question
is why is there experimental evidence that agrees with the premise
that
the output impedance of a tuned transmitter is the conjugate match of
the load?

One simple example to consider which has similar behaviour is a bench
power supply that also has a constant current limiter. Set such a
power
supply to produce a voltage of 100V (more precisely a maximum voltage)
and a current limit of 2A. Apply a variable load. Maximum power will
be drawn when the load resistance is 50 ohms. Varying the resistance
on either side of 50 ohms will reduce the power which might be
misconstrued to suggest that the power supply has an output impedance
of 50 ohms, when, in fact, it has a infinite output impedance when
the load is below 50 ohms and a zero output impedance when the load
is above.

I have looked for such a simple explanation in the circuits of the
transmitters used in the experiments but was not able to find one.
So I am still puzzled by the observations.

Also include your email address so I can send it.

Keith.dot.dysart.at.gmail.com .dot. = . .at. = @

…Keith

Keith Dysart[_2_] May 25th 10 12:23 AM

wrote:
[...]

You have gone to a bit higher level than I intended with my question
and
I agree with you conclusions at that level. But my question was more
basic.

When designing the filter for a PA, among other things, one uses the
desired load to be applied to the tube and the disired load impedance
to be supported and selects filter components to perform the desired
transformation.

When operating the radio, the operator has meters that measure some
values, some knobs that control some component values and a procedure
for adjusting these knobs.

It is not at all obvious what exactly the result of performing the
procedure is. Does it result in the same load being applied to the
tube that was computed by the designer? There are some hints that
the procedure will result in the load applied to the tube being
real, but beyond that, what exactly are the circuit conditions
that result?

....Keith

Cecil Moore May 25th 10 12:49 AM

On May 24, 6:15*pm, Keith Dysart wrote:
This may be the root of my disagreement. Certainly the output can be
an arbitrarily perfect sine wave, but this simply depends on the
characteristics of the filter and not on whether the system is linear.

Since anything except a class-A amplifier is non-linear and since we
are talking about linear analysis, it seems we need to locate a point
in the system where V is a sine wave, I is a sine wave, and V/I is the
constant impedance at that point. IMO, that is the first point at
which we can use a linear math analysis and maybe that point is what
Walt is talking about. It's certainly not going to be the plate of a
class-C amplifier and it may not even be the load-line of the class-C
amplifier. There is probably some point in an otherwise non-linear
system where a linear analysis becomes possible. I think that point is
what Walt considers to be the linear source point, wherever that point
might be located.

In fact, here is my personal take on the subject. Given an antenna
system that presents 50+j0 ohms looking into 50 ohm coax, the internal
impedance of the source doesn't matter. For any voltage source,
irrespective of the source impedance, if reflected energy doesn't
reach the source, the source impedance doesn't matter (except for
efficiency). Seems to me, the highest efficiency would be achieved by
a source with zero ohms of source impedance.
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com

Richard Clark May 25th 10 12:52 AM

W2DU's Reflections III is now available from CQ Communications, Inc.

On Mon, 24 May 2010 16:23:26 -0700 (PDT), Keith Dysart
wrote:

It is not at all obvious what exactly the result of performing the
procedure is. Does it result in the same load being applied to the
tube that was computed by the designer?

Hi Keith,

By and large, Yes.

There are some hints that
the procedure will result in the load applied to the tube being
real, but beyond that, what exactly are the circuit conditions
that result?

I am a little lost on that. The load applied is the load applied
(sorry for the Zen). If you mean that the load is transformed by
tuning to a real R for the Plate to see, then, yes, that is operative.

However, that is not the end of it. That R is seen as the loss of a
now-poorer Q for the Plate tank. This is the distinction between
loaded and unloaded Q. The Plate tank Q expressed in terms of loaded
Q, to be effective, is quite low in comparison to its unloaded value.
This value of loaded Q is roughly between 10 and 20 where the
components in isolation (unloaded) could easily achieve 10 to 30 times
that.

The term "loaded" includes BOTH the plate and the applied load
(whatever is presented to the antenna connection). The only time the
unloaded Q of the Plate tank is at peak value is when it is sitting in
isolation from the chassis, circuitry, and even mounts - which means
it is not very useful in that configuration, except as a trophy. Many
silver plate their tanks as trophies (because this rarely results in
better operation).

Now, let's return to my statement about what Q is "effective" AND that
it measures out at roughly 10 to 20. This is straight out of Terman
if you need a citation. As for explanation (also found in Terman),
you have to consider that the Plate tank is the gate-keeper (as well
as transformer of Z) of power. If you have too high a Q, the power is
not getting THROUGH the tank as it must, and necessarily it remains in
the tank (as energy, albeit).

Consider further that ALL resonant circuits can be cast from series
circuits to parallel circuits or parallel to series (a fact lost on
some inventors of antennas). To describe the Plate tank in series
terms as I do, then the plate resistance and load resistance combine
in series through a simple circular path through ground. There are
parallel tank designs where the resistances combine in parallel. The
net result is the same insofar as Q is concerned.

Consult Terman if that is confusing. No doubt others will either more
clearly cite him, or add to the confusion.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Richard Clark May 25th 10 12:57 AM

W2DU's Reflections III is now available from CQ Communications, Inc.

On Mon, 24 May 2010 16:15:52 -0700 (PDT), Keith Dysart
wrote:

I have looked for such a simple explanation in the circuits of the
transmitters used in the experiments but was not able to find one.
So I am still puzzled by the observations.

Hi Keith,

Consult Terman. That should be sufficient for both the instructor and
the student to use as a benchmark design for tubes, at least. The
design of the transistorized finals' deck of Ham grade HF rigs has
been stable for nearly 4 decades.

Any departure from HF Ham grade equipment capable of 100W is going to
lead to equivocal statements.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Richard Harrison May 25th 10 05:32 AM

Cecil Moore, W5DXP wrote:
"Seems to me, the highest efficiency would be achieved by a source with
zero source impedance."

Me too, but zero source impedance does not match the load as required
for maximum power transfer. The best combination is then a source
impedance matching the load and which is also pracrically lossless. The
Class C amplifier does this by acting as a switch which is infinite in
impedance when open during a large part of the RF cycle and a near short
circuit to a low impedance (near zero Z) D.C. power source for the short
part of the RF cycle it is switched on. It is the time averaged
impedance which counts. Is this linear? No way, but the tank circuit is
able to remove the harmonics and turn current pulses into a low
distortion sine wave. Efficiency? Terman says on page 450 of his 1955
opus that Class C eddiciency is typically 60% to 80%. Compare that with
50% efficiency in a Class A amplifier.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Owen May 25th 10 09:30 AM

On 25/05/2010 01:55, walt wrote:
Or are you considering the output characteristic of the transmitter to
be non-linear? This is not the case, because the effect of energy
storage in the tank circuit isolates the non-linear input from the
output circuit, which is linear as evidenced by the almost perfect
sine wave appearing at the output of the tank.

Well, for the purposes of application of linear circuit theory,
linearity means that V is linearly related to I, or at least dV/dI over
the operating range is substantially constant.

If the circuit is not linear in those terms, then you cannot form a
valid Thevenin equivalent circuit, and discussion of the Thevenin
equivalent series source impedance is a nonsense... it cannot be used.

Owen

Keith Dysart[_2_] May 25th 10 11:29 AM

On May 24, 7:49*pm, Cecil Moore wrote:
[...]

Recalling that if a conjugate match is achieved at one ponit in a
system
it is achieved at all points....

It does not seem possible for a system to be non-linear at one end and
turn in to a linear system at some other point.

In fact, here is my personal take on the subject. Given an antenna
system that presents 50+j0 ohms looking into 50 ohm coax, the internal
impedance of the source doesn't matter. For any voltage source,
irrespective of the source impedance, if reflected energy doesn't
reach the source, the source impedance doesn't matter (except for
efficiency). Seems to me, the highest efficiency would be achieved by
a source with zero ohms of source impedance.

True, if the source impedance originates in dissipative components and
it is a voltage source. For a current source, infinite impedance
offers
the best efficiency.

....Keith

Keith Dysart[_2_] May 25th 10 11:35 AM

W2DU's Reflections III is now available from CQCommunications,...

On May 25, 12:32*am, (Richard Harrison)
wrote:
Cecil Moore, W5DXP wrote:

"Seems to me, the highest efficiency would be achieved by a source with
zero source impedance."

Me too, but zero source impedance does not match the load as required
for maximum power transfer.

It seems to me that much too much is made of 'maximum power transfer'
in
the RF world. In the world of 50 and 60 Hz, where significantly more
energy is moved, 'maximum power transfer' is never mentioned.
Efficiency
is much more of interest.

For the most part, 'maximum power transfer' is just an interesting
ideosyncracy of linear circuit theory.

....Keith

Cecil Moore May 25th 10 12:55 PM

W2DU's Reflections III is now available from CQCommunications,...

On May 24, 11:32*pm, (Richard Harrison)
wrote:
Cecil Moore, W5DXP wrote:
"Seems to me, the highest efficiency would be achieved by a source with
zero source impedance."

Me too, but zero source impedance does not match the load as required
for maximum power transfer.

A 60 Hz Power Generation Plant operates at high efficiency, not at the
maximum power transfer point. If they were 50% efficient, they would
go out of business. (That's what Edison expected.) Why is maximum
power transfer desirable in ham transmitters? Is such a design the
highest power/cost ratio? Is it possible to build an output amp with a
10 ohm source impedance designed to be 80% efficient? 1 ohm source
impedance designed to be 98% efficient? Is co$t the driving parameter?
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com

Cecil Moore May 25th 10 01:19 PM

On May 25, 3:30*am, Owen wrote:
If the circuit is not linear in those terms, then you cannot form a
valid Thevenin equivalent circuit, and discussion of the Thevenin
equivalent series source impedance is a nonsense... it cannot be used.

Quoting "Fields and Waves ...", by Ramo and Whinnery, "... the
(Thevenin) equivalent circuit was derived to tell what happens *IN THE
LOAD* under different load conditions, and significance cannot be
automatically attached to a calculation of power loss in the internal
impedance of the equivalent circuit."
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com

Cecil Moore May 25th 10 01:45 PM

On May 25, 5:29*am, Keith Dysart wrote:
It does not seem possible for a system to be non-linear at one end and
turn in to a linear system at some other point.

Well, consider the following two systems. Z01 is 50 ohms and Z02 is
300 ohms. The two systems are identical except for the circuits hidden
inside the two identical source black boxes. Both sources are
supplying a 100v sine wave to the system.

Source1----Z01----+----1/4WL Z02----1800 ohm

Source2----Z01----+----1/4WL Z02----1800 ohm

Every passive voltage, current, power, and impedance measurement is
identical in both systems. As far as we can passively measure, both
systems are identical and linear. The only thing we don't know is what
is inside the two source boxes..

Inside the Source1 box is a linear ideal 50 ohm Thevenin equivalent
source delivering an ideal 100v sine wave. Inside the Source2 box is a
non-linear class-C amplifier filtered to provide an ideal 100v sine
wave.

Without changing the system conditions, can one make a passive
measurement to determine which system is conjugately matched and which
one is not conjugately matched? If one cannot tell the difference, are
they both conjugately matched, or both not conjugately matched, or
what?

Here's my take. A 50 ohm Z0-match exists in both systems and all
conditions are identical on the load side of that Z0-match. In
particular, at any point in the system on the load side of the Z0-
match, the impedance looking in one direction is the conjugate of the
impedance looking in the other direction. That is a characteristic of
a conjugate match. So are both systems conjugately matched between the
Z0-match and the load? If it walks and quacks like a duck ...
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com

Richard Clark May 25th 10 05:04 PM

On Tue, 25 May 2010 08:30:30 GMT, Owen wrote:

If the circuit is not linear in those terms, then you cannot form a
valid Thevenin equivalent circuit, and discussion of the Thevenin
equivalent series source impedance is a nonsense... it cannot be used.

The counter argument, as I understand it, is that the tank circuit
isolates the linear from the non-linear, and that the tank also
performs the action of transformation. Thus the proposal is an
analysis of their combination (I had to struggle to avoid
superposition).

Thus, the non-linear Tube (because, I presume, the circuit is in Class
C operation) exhibits a higher efficiency than would be found in a
resistance matched system. What I call the resistance matched system
is the unfortunate appeal to a source "resistance" equaling the load
"resistance." Thevenin/Norton do not mandate resistors, rather
impedances.

What I understand, comes from lengthy emails with multiple
contributors in years past: Walt and Richard being two of them. My
saved mail only goes back nine years, so the other two contributors'
names are lost to me right now.

Of course what I "understand" may be wholly misrepresented by my
exposition here. So be it. The source authorities can correct my
deviations.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Owen May 25th 10 08:33 PM

On 25/05/2010 23:19, Cecil Moore wrote:

Quoting "Fields and Waves ...", by Ramo and Whinnery, "... the
(Thevenin) equivalent circuit was derived to tell what happens *IN THE
LOAD* under different load conditions, and significance cannot be
automatically attached to a calculation of power loss in the internal
impedance of the equivalent circuit."

Yes, that is quite correct Cecil, and nothing that I have written says
or implies or is intended to mean otherwise.

However, your own words in another post
(news://news.bigpond.com:119/c8b7540a...oglegroups.com)

"A 60 Hz Power Generation Plant operates at high efficiency, not at the
maximum power transfer point. If they were 50% efficient, they would go
out of business."

demonstrates that whilst you apparently can quote from text books, you
do not necessarily understand what you are quoting. You do talk nonsense
sometimes!

Owen

Cecil Moore May 25th 10 08:49 PM

On May 25, 2:33*pm, Owen wrote:
Yes, that is quite correct Cecil, and nothing that I have written says
or implies or is intended to mean otherwise... You do talk nonsense sometimes!

Owen, my reference supported what you said! Why are you trying to pick
an argument? As my mother would have said, "You would argue with a
fence post".
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com

walt May 25th 10 09:20 PM

W2DU's Reflections III is now available from CQ Communications,Inc.

Hello Keith,

Thank you for your response. I’m starting my answer to your statements
by first quoting from one of your posts:

“Try as I might, I have not been able to derive a mechanism to explain
the observations in Reflections. But the explanations offered in
Reflections require large chunks of linear circuit theory to be
discarded, so this does not seem to be an appropriate path.”

That you have been unable to derive a mechanism that explains the
action in an RF power amplifier is evidence that you do not understand
it. So let’s examine the action that follows an appropriate path that
does not require any linear circuitry to be discarded. Further
evidence that you do not understand it is that you used a bench power
supply to describe the action, which you state has an infinite source
resistance when the load exceeds 50 ohm, and zero source resistance
when the load is less than 50 ohms. Unfortunately, this power supply
in no way resembles an RF power amplifier, either in components or
action.

We’ll begin by stipulating that the ‘filter’ is a pi-network tank
circuit, having a tuning capacitor at the input and a loading-
adjustment capacitor at the output. We’ll also stipulate that the
plate voltage and the grid bias are set to provide the desired
conditions at the input of the tank circuit, which means that the
desired grid voltage is that which results in the desired conduction
time for the applied plate voltage. The result provides a dynamic
resistance RL, which is determined by the average plate voltage VPavg
and the average plate current IPavg appearing at the terminals leading
to the input of the tank circuit. In other words, RL = VPavg/IPavg.
To permit delivery of all available power to be delivered by the
dynamic resistance RL, we want the input impedance appearing at the
input of the tank circuit to be equal to RL.

We’ll now go to the output of the tank circuit. We’ll assume the load
to be the input of a transmission line on which there are reflections.
The result is that the input to the line contains a real component R
and a reactance jX. The output terminals of the tank circuit are the
two terminals of the output-loading capacitor. When the line is
connected to the output terminals of the tank circuit the reactance
appearing at the line input is reflected into the tank circuit. This
reactance is then cancelled by the tuning capacitor at the input of
the tank circuit, resulting in a resonant tank circuit. We now need to
adjust the output-loading capacitor to apply the correct voltage
across the input of the transmission line so that the real component R
appearing at the line input is reflected into the tank circuit such
that the resistance RL appears at the input of the tank circuit, thus
allowing all the available power to enter the tank circuit. In other
words, adjusting the loading capacitor to deliver all the available
power into the line also makes the output resistance of the tank
circuit equal to the real component R appearing at the line input.
With any other value of output resistance of the source, all the
available power would not be delivered to the line. A corollary to
that condition follows from the Maximum Power Transfer Theorem that
for a given output resistance of the source (the tank circuit), if the
load resistance is either increased for decreased from the value of
the source resistance, the delivery of power will decrease. This
condition also accurately describes the condition for the conjugate
match.
Keep in mind that the input impedance of the line is complex, or
reactive, but the reactance of the correctly-adjusted tuning capacitor
has introduced the correct amount of the opposite reactance to cancel
the reactance appearing at the line input. Thus the line input
impedance is R + jX and the output impedance of the source is R – jX,
providing the conjugate match.

You stated in one of your posts that the phase of the reflected wave
in relation to that of the source wave results in a non-linear
condition. This is totally untrue. The tuning action of the input
capacitor in the tank circuit that cancels the line reactance caused
by the reflection on the line in no way introduces any non-linearity
in the circuit, and the condition in the vicinity of the output of the
tank circuit is totally linear. Thus, circuit theorems that require
linearity to be valid are completely valid when used with the RF power
amplifier as described above. This applies to all RF power amplifiers,
Class A, AB, B and C.

I hope my comments above assist in understanding the action that
occurs in RF power amplifiers.

Walt Maxwell, W@DU

Keith Dysart[_2_] May 26th 10 02:45 AM

On May 25, 8:45*am, Cecil Moore wrote:
[...]

Methinks you have so constrained the experiment as to make it
unsolvable.
But let us test that.

Consider a Source3, much like Source1: linear, ideal, but 100 ohms
output impedance. It is connected to the same load you specify for
Source1 and Source2 and adjusted to drive 100 volts in to the 50
ohm Z01 line.

You are presented with the circuits using Source1 and Source3.

We know that Source1 and Source3 can not both be conjugately
matched.

Keith Dysart[_2_] May 26th 10 12:50 PM

On May 25, 4:20 pm, walt wrote:
[...]

“No way” is a bit strong. The RF PA is constructed from a constant
voltage source (the power supply) and a constant current controller
(the tube), both aspects present in the bench supply example
previously
offered. A tube is often modelled as an ideal variable constant
current
source but unlike an ideal source, which can produce whatever voltage
is needed to drive the current, the current produced by the tube is
limited by the power supply voltage. Thus, assertions of linear
behaviour need to be tempered by ensuring that such voltage limits
are not exceeded.

We’ll begin by stipulating that the ‘filter’ is a pi-network tank
circuit, having a tuning capacitor at the input and a loading-
adjustment capacitor at the output. We’ll also stipulate that the
plate voltage and the grid bias are set to provide the desired
conditions at the input of the tank circuit, which means that the
desired grid voltage is that which results in the desired conduction
time for the applied plate voltage. The result provides a dynamic
resistance RL, which is determined by the average plate voltage VPavg
and the average plate current IPavg appearing at the terminals leading
to the input of the tank circuit. In other words, RL = VPavg/IPavg.
To permit delivery of all available power to be delivered by the
dynamic resistance RL, we want the input impedance appearing at the
input of the tank circuit to be equal to RL.

Most references use Vpeak and Ipeak, though they are usually related
to average values with constants of proportionality so the computed
RL will be the same. None-the-less, I prefer peak values since it
ties better to the choices made in the design.

The power that can be controlled by a control device (be it a switch,
tube or transistor) is related to device limitations. So, for example,
the maximum power that can be controlled by a 250V 1A switch is 250W.
This occurs with a supply voltage of 250V and a load of 250 ohms.
Increasing the supply voltage exceeds the switch capability as does
reducing the load resistance.

If the supply voltage is less than 250V then the maximum power occurs
with a load that causes 1A to flow and is now a limit based on
circuit choices and device capabilities.

Note that these power limits have nothing to do with maximum power
transfer in a linear circuit.

Similarly in a tube circuit, the maximum power is limited by the
supply
voltage and the tube drive level (which sets the current that will
flow in the tube). Maximum controlled power is then V*I and occurs
with a load resistance of V/I. Increasing the load resistance reduces
the power because there is insufficient voltage from the supply to
drive more current through the load and reducing the load resistance
reduces the power because less voltage is impressed across the load.

Note that neither of these effects is related to the maximum power
[...]

While a conjugate match does result in a situation where altering
the load will reduce the power transfer, it is not true that any
situation where altering the load reduces the power transfer is
also a conjugate match. The two examples above (bench power supply,
tube in a circuit) amply demonstrate this.

Keep in mind that the input impedance of the line is complex, or
reactive, but the reactance of the correctly-adjusted tuning capacitor
has introduced the correct amount of the opposite reactance to cancel
the reactance appearing at the line input. Thus the line input
impedance is R + jX and the output impedance of the source is R – jX,
providing the conjugate match.

This is quite in error, unless, by happenstance, RL is equal to Rp
(plus
the other contributors to source impedance).

You stated in one of your posts that the phase of the reflected wave
in relation to that of the source wave results in a non-linear
condition. This is totally untrue. The tuning action of the input
capacitor in the tank circuit that cancels the line reactance caused
by the reflection on the line in no way introduces any non-linearity
in the circuit, and the condition in the vicinity of the output of the
tank circuit is totally linear. Thus, circuit theorems that require
linearity to be valid are completely valid when used with the RF power
amplifier as described above. This applies to all RF power amplifiers,
Class A, AB, B and C.

For any circuit with a conduction angle of less than 360 degrees, my
simulations indicate otherwise. The reflection coefficient experienced
by the reflected wave when it arrives at the amplifier output varies
with the phase of the reflected wave. Since the reflection coefficient
is a function of source impedance and line impedance, and the line
impedance is not changing, this means that the source impedance is
changing with the phase of the reflected wave. This is not a behaviour
that is consistent with a linear circuit. Given the non-linearities
in a circuit with a conduction angle of less than 360 degrees, this
should not be a surprise. More, it would be a surprise if such a
circuit did behave as a linear circuit.

I hope my comments above assist in understanding the action that
occurs in RF power amplifiers.

Thank you. They have indeed helped clarify my thinking.

We are still left with the puzzle of why the observations documented
in Reflections report a reduction in power transfer when the load is
changed in either direction. It seems unlikely that RL is, by
happenstance, equal to Rp, which would be one explanation.

It seems plausible that it is related to the behaviours associated
with the examples I provided above, but I can not articulate a
mechanism that satisfies.

…Keith

Cecil Moore May 26th 10 03:17 PM

On May 25, 8:45*pm, Keith Dysart wrote:
We know that Source1 and Source3 can not both be conjugately
matched.

But what difference does it make if all external conditions are
identical? If reflected energy is not allowed to reach the source, why
does the source impedance matter at all?
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com