Old May 5th 10, 02:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

Default Feeding system name?

On 5/4/2010 6:39 PM, Owen Duffy wrote:

Tom,

My use of "lossy" was to remind readers that capacitive reactance
obtained by using such a transmission line element is a relatively lossy
'capacitor'. For example. an o/c stub of RG213 for a reactance of -10
ohms at 144MHz has a resistance of about 0.1 ohms, or a Q of about 100.
That is not a huge loss, but quality capacitors achieve much higher Q
than that.

So, I don't know why one might use such a thing in a driven element,
introducing say 0.2 ohms of resistance which consumes about 0.4% of the
power if it was a R=50 feedpoint, when a similar reactance could be
obtained by a slight shortening. The purpose is probably not for
frequency compensation, it works the wrong way.

Is the loss significant, not really in this case, and it won't melt the
PE, but TL derived capacitors are relatively lower Q.

Owen

I'll take the .4%. I'll take 4%. It's a bulletproof easy way to make a
gamma match. I've never had one fail, and I've made quite a few.

And you need to define where you think lossy starts, because nothing
that we can afford to use isn't, and true room temperature
superconductors still aren't available.

tom
K0TAR
Old May 5th 10, 02:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

On 5/4/2010 8:17 PM, tom wrote:
On 5/4/2010 6:39 PM, Owen Duffy wrote:

Tom,

My use of "lossy" was to remind readers that capacitive reactance
obtained by using such a transmission line element is a relatively lossy
'capacitor'. For example. an o/c stub of RG213 for a reactance of -10
ohms at 144MHz has a resistance of about 0.1 ohms, or a Q of about 100.
That is not a huge loss, but quality capacitors achieve much higher Q
than that.

So, I don't know why one might use such a thing in a driven element,
introducing say 0.2 ohms of resistance which consumes about 0.4% of the
power if it was a R=50 feedpoint, when a similar reactance could be
obtained by a slight shortening. The purpose is probably not for
frequency compensation, it works the wrong way.

And I forgot to address this.

Because .4% is meaningless and the change to a slightly less lossy feed
method would contribute nothing useful for the effort.

Because the effort with your method is that I would have to trim an
element clip by clip instead of simply sliding things at the match.

tom
K0TAR
Old May 5th 10, 03:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

On 5/4/2010 6:39 PM, Owen Duffy wrote:
wrote in
t:

On 5/4/2010 3:58 PM, Owen Duffy wrote:
The technique presumably is to insert a (lossy) capacitive reactance
in series with the feedpoint, and such that the reactance decreases
with freqeuency, thus exacerbating the natural feedpoint impedance
change.

Owen

I am curious about your statement. You say "insert a (lossy)
capacitive reactance in series". Why would a braidless piece of coax
inserted in a tube have significantly different loss than the intact
coax of that length?

I've made matches made that way for decades that ran at full or near
full legal limit on 6m. I'm pretty sure that any significant loss
would have shown up as dripping plastic. The matches when taken apart
after years of use show no sign of heating.

[...]

Sorry, but I thought of another comment.

Length for length, a 50 ohm feed yagi has already lost much more than
..4% when compared to a well designed yagi on the same boom in the 20 to
25 ohm range.

I'm speaking of .6 to .8 lambda and up yagis.

tom
K0TAR

Old May 5th 10, 08:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 4 mayo, 20:39, Owen Duffy wrote:
tom wrote .net:

[...]

Owen- Ocultar texto de la cita -

- Mostrar texto de la cita -

Could it simply be a capacitive coupling method without any matching
property ?
Old May 6th 10, 11:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

lu6etj wrote in
:
Could it simply be a capacitive coupling method without any matching
property ?

That depends what you mean by "without any matching property".

If the o/c stub is less than an electrical quarter wave (as it seems from
the description, it must introduce some series capacitive reactance, and
loss resistance, the longer it is, the higher the loss resistance.

It is not at all obvious why they would do what you described (and for
Tom's benefit, I am not talking about a gamma match).

Owen

Old May 8th 10, 07:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 6 mayo, 19:20, Owen Duffy wrote:
lu6etj wrote :

Could it simply be a capacitive coupling method without any matching
property ?

That depends what you mean by "without any matching property".

If the o/c stub is less than an electrical quarter wave (as it seems from
the description, it must introduce some series capacitive reactance, and
loss resistance, the longer it is, the higher the loss resistance.

It is not at all obvious why they would do what you described (and for
Tom's benefit, I am not talking about a gamma match).

Owen

Hi Owen

I mean "any matching property" in the sense that we give to a coupling
condenser in electronic circuits.

Another possibility could be that it was a method to trim the resonant
frequency easily from the center of the structure without to cut the
tube neither to make it telescopic making the element a little more
longer. I don`t know, I hoped to obtain a correct answer looking for
it in the Web.

At worse, maybe that system never existed. I only remember sometimes
heard speak about it in the eter or a mailing list :)

Thank you very much for your helping

Miguel LU6ETJ
Old May 8th 10, 07:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

lu6etj wrote :

[...]

Another speculation...

Increasing dipole length radiation resistance increases. Could be a
method devised to take advantage of that effect using the condenser to
take the antenna to resonance again

Will it compensate the increase in the radiation resistance the higher
losses in coaxial condenser?

Miguel

End-feeding dipoles Chuck Antenna 45 June 26th 07 04:45 PM
Feeding Inv Vee antenna Andrew[_2_] Antenna 3 May 11th 07 02:03 PM
Feeding a doublet Adrian Antenna 6 January 1st 04 07:56 PM
old trunking system information MISC system info jack smith Scanner 0 December 12th 03 03:36 AM
Feeding a Dipole Stephen Saunders General 4 August 18th 03 09:58 PM