Old June 22nd 10, 08:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Galvanized or Copper Gound Rods?

"K1TTT" wrote
On Jun 21, 5:24 pm, "Szczepan Bialek" wrote:
"Michael Coslo"

We should define "ground" while we're at it.

If antenna emits electrons (longitudinal Tesla waves) than the ground is
the

source of them.

The lovers of the TEM will write more.

no one loves them more than you, so spew away if you wish.

The simple radio do not work without the ground:
http://scitoys.com/scitoys/scitoys/r...ansmitter.html

"Without any connection to an antenna or a good ground connection, the
transmitter will only transmit to a receiver a few inches away. To get
better range, clip the ground wire to a good ground, such as a cold water
pipe, and the antenna to a long wire, like the one we used for the crystal
radio."

Is it possible to measure the netto current in the track ground-antenna?

The field emisssion probably works in an antenna: "Field emission can happen
from solid and liquid surfaces, or individual atoms into vacuum or open
air,"
S*

Old June 23rd 10, 12:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jun 22, 7:44*am, "Szczepan Bialek" wrote:
*"K1TTT" ...
On Jun 21, 5:24 pm, "Szczepan Bialek" wrote:

"Michael Coslo"

We should define "ground" while we're at it.

If antenna emits electrons (longitudinal Tesla waves) than the ground is
the

source of them.

The lovers of the TEM will write more.

no one loves them more than you, so spew away if you wish.

The simple radio do not work without the ground:http://scitoys.com/scitoys/scitoys/r...ansmitter.html

"Without any connection to an antenna or a good ground connection, the
transmitter will only transmit to a receiver a few inches away. To get
better range, clip the ground wire to a good ground, such as a cold water
pipe, and the antenna to a long wire, like the one we used for the crystal
radio."

well, it works as they say it will only go a few inches because the
antenna is probably only a couple inches long at some low frequency...
once you give it a decent antenna it will work much better.

Is it possible to measure the netto current in the track ground-antenna?

sure.

The field emisssion probably works in an antenna: "Field emission can happen
from solid and liquid surfaces, or individual atoms into vacuum or open
air,"
S*

field emission is not likely at amateur power levels.

Old June 23rd 10, 12:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

K1TTT wrote:
[...]

Having built one of these things or very similar (or more properly, my
tween daughter did)..

Hook a 6-10 foot long piece of wire to each of the clips and stretch
them out and it works pretty well. In my case, we threw a hunk
(precision measurement.. probably about 10 ft) of wire over the curtain
rod, and laid the other one out across the floor, transmitter sitting on
the desk. You could receive it on a standard AM BC radio with a ferrite
loopstick antenna at the other end of the house, some 15m/50 ft away.

The idea of using a 1MHz clock oscillator *is* clever. Back in the day,
I would have lashed up something with a single transistor and a LC tank.

BTW, the same general idea works pretty well with a 14.318 MHz
oscillator.. A 1 meter antenna makes a fine beacon signal right in the
20m band. Of course, you'll ID, operate within your license terms, etc.
In theory, if you could get it to swing 5V, you could put a couple
hundred milliwatts into a dipole, but I don't think they have that much
drive available.

I confess I haven't tried AM with the 14.318 oscillator..It probably has
some non-zero frequency pulling too.
Old June 23rd 10, 08:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Uzytkownik "Jim Lux" napisal w wiadomosci
On Jun 21, 5:24 pm, "Szczepan Bialek" wrote:

"Michael Coslo"
We should define "ground" while we're at it.
If antenna emits electrons (longitudinal Tesla waves) than the ground
is
the
source of them.

Having built one of these things or very similar (or more properly, my
tween daughter did)..

Hook a 6-10 foot long piece of wire to each of the clips and stretch them
out and it works pretty well. In my case, we threw a hunk (precision
measurement.. probably about 10 ft) of wire over the curtain rod, and laid
the other one out across the floor, transmitter sitting on the desk.

The "other one out across the floor" works as the chassis.
The chassis is enough for the small power at higher frequencies.
Your phone cell has the chssis (ground) also.
S*

Old June 23rd 10, 09:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"K1TTT" wrote
On Jun 22, 7:44 am, "Szczepan Bialek" wrote:

Is it possible to measure the netto current in the track ground-antenna?

sure.

The field emisssion probably works in an antenna: "Field emission can
happen

from solid and liquid surfaces, or individual atoms into vacuum or open
air,"

field emission is not likely at amateur power levels.

" Transmitters for long and medium wave require good grounding and soil of
high electrical conductivity. Locations at the sea or in river valleys are
ideal, but the flood danger must be considered. Transmitters for UHF are
best on high mountains to improve the range ".

So I look he http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warsaw_radio_mast

"This technique works by applying a DC ground at a point of minimum
radiofrequency voltage, conducting static charge to ground without
diminishing the radio energy. Static electrical charge can build up to high
values, even at times of no thunderstorm activity, when such tall structures
are insulated from ground."

Would be interesting to know the value of the DC current.

Do you agree that it is the field emission (loss of electrons)?
S*

Old June 23rd 10, 06:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Szczepan Bialek wrote:
[...]

yeah.. but at 1 MHz ish... a bit of length helps a lot.
Old June 23rd 10, 06:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Szczepan Bialek wrote:
"K1TTT" wrote

So I look he http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warsaw_radio_mast

"This technique works by applying a DC ground at a point of minimum
radiofrequency voltage, conducting static charge to ground without
diminishing the radio energy. Static electrical charge can build up to high
values, even at times of no thunderstorm activity, when such tall structures
are insulated from ground."

Would be interesting to know the value of the DC current.

Do you agree that it is the field emission (loss of electrons)?
S*

No.. it's plain old corona discharge or triboelectric charging from
particulates
Old June 23rd 10, 07:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jun 23, 8:12*am, "Szczepan Bialek" wrote:
*"K1TTT" ...
On Jun 22, 7:44 am, "Szczepan Bialek" wrote:

Is it possible to measure the netto current in the track ground-antenna?

sure.

The field emisssion probably works in an antenna: "Field emission can
happen

from solid and liquid surfaces, or individual atoms into vacuum or open
air,"
field emission is not likely at amateur power levels.

" Transmitters for long and medium wave require good grounding and soil of
high electrical conductivity. Locations at the sea or in river valleys are
ideal, but the flood danger must be considered. Transmitters for UHF are
best on high mountains to improve the range ".

no they don't... those types of transmitters work just fine in
airplanes with no soil available.

So I look hehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warsaw_radio_mast

"This technique works by applying a DC ground at a point of minimum
radiofrequency voltage, conducting static charge to ground without
diminishing the radio energy. Static electrical charge can build up to high
values, even at times of no thunderstorm activity, when such tall structures
are insulated from ground."

Would be interesting to know the value of the DC current.

Do you agree that it is the field emission (loss of electrons)?
S*

loss of electrons maybe, but due to friction with particulates in the
atmosphere. also partly due to the fair weather electric field:
http://www.missioninstruments.com/pa...ec_fields.html

Old June 24th 10, 08:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"K1TTT" wrote
On Jun 23, 8:12 am, "Szczepan Bialek" wrote:

Is it possible to measure the netto current in the track
ground-antenna?

sure.

" Transmitters for long and medium wave require good grounding and soil
of
high electrical conductivity. Locations at the sea or in river valleys
are
ideal, but the flood danger must be considered. Transmitters for UHF are
best on high mountains to improve the range ".

no they don't... those types of transmitters work just fine in

airplanes with no soil available.

In the airplanes is the "chassis ground". The large metal surface is the
charge source. The surface exchanges charges with the air.

. Static electrical charge can build up to high
values, even at times of no thunderstorm activity, when such tall
structures
are insulated from ground."

Would be interesting to know the value of the DC current.

Do you agree that it is the field emission (loss of electrons)?

loss of electrons maybe, but due to friction with particulates in the

atmosphere. also partly due to the fair weather electric field:
http://www.missioninstruments.com/pa...ec_fields.html

In a short period of time the atmospheric conditions are similar.

I am asking for measurement of the netto current in the track
ground-antenna.
The two measurements: before and during transmitting in the same atmospheric
conditions.
S*

Old June 24th 10, 09:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Jim Lux" wrote
Szczepan Bialek wrote:
"K1TTT" wrote

So I look he http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warsaw_radio_mast

"This technique works by applying a DC ground at a point of minimum
radiofrequency voltage, conducting static charge to ground without
diminishing the radio energy. Static electrical charge can build up to
high values, even at times of no thunderstorm activity, when such tall
structures are insulated from ground."

Would be interesting to know the value of the DC current.

Do you agree that it is the field emission (loss of electrons)?
S*

No.. it's plain old corona discharge or triboelectric charging from
particulates

"Static electrical charge can build up to high values".

It take place during transmmiting.
Without grounding do not work.

I simply want to know "the value of the DC current".

Do you know it in your station?
S*

Galvanized iron - a poor ground plane? TF3KX Antenna 3 August 9th 06 11:48 AM
Aluminum welding wire (AlMg3) for radials on galvanized metal roof? TF3KX Antenna 1 August 9th 06 03:32 AM
Grounding Rods?? Lenny Shortwave 10 January 5th 06 07:08 PM
Ground rods.at HF Reg Edwards Antenna 30 September 8th 05 07:37 PM
WTB BIG STICK or 1/4 WAVE GOUND PLANE Marty B. CB 2 September 23rd 04 11:17 PM