Old July 2nd 10, 03:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default coax short supply

Is there a shortage in the supply of coax ? A ham up the road has been
trying to get some rg8x from The Wireman for a couple of weeks. They are
out and said they should have some in soon.

There was also some mention of shortage of the open wire\twinlead type.

Is it just this place or is there some shortage in the US of coax and antena
wire.
What about the other coax such as the rg8 size ?

Old July 2nd 10, 06:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Ralph Mowery wrote:

Is there a shortage in the supply of coax ?

Yes, but all is not lost. You need to get the newst Ham in the
neighborhood and send him out for a coax stretcher. They come in handy
from time to time.

I have to admit I never found one in my neighborhood - but all the Hams
were very helpful and thought they knew who might be able to help me,
and sent me off to the person.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -
Old July 2nd 10, 11:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jul 2, 9:28*am, "Ralph Mowery" wrote:
Is there a shortage in the supply of coax ? *A ham up the road has been
trying to get some rg8x from The Wireman for a couple of weeks. *They are
out and said they should have some in soon.

There was also some mention of shortage of the open wire\twinlead type.

Is it just this place or is there some shortage in the US of coax and antena
wire.
What about the other coax such as the rg8 size ?

I ran in to the same thing last August at the Huntsville, Al. hamfest-
no 450 ohm open wire line. The high cost of copper prohibits them
from keeping too much inventory on hand. Apparently not much has
changed since August.

Gary N4AST
Old July 3rd 10, 11:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message , Michael Coslo
writes
Ralph Mowery wrote:

Is there a shortage in the supply of coax ?

Yes, but all is not lost. You need to get the newst Ham in the
neighborhood and send him out for a coax stretcher. They come in handy
from time to time.

I have to admit I never found one in my neighborhood - but all the Hams
were very helpful and thought they knew who might be able to help me,
and sent me off to the person.

But, when the coax is stretched, what happens to the characteristic
impedance and the loss? [This is a (sort of) serious question!]
--
Ian
Old July 3rd 10, 03:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
But, when the coax is stretched, what happens to the characteristic

impedance and the loss? [This is a (sort of) serious question!]
--
Ian

If the ratio of the conductors stay the same, there should not be a change
except the losses go up. As you streach the coax, the shield and the center
conductor will get smaller. Also the dialectric will have to get smaller.
If they do not srink at the same ratio, the impedance will change depending
on which conductor gets smaller the fastest.

The losses will go up because the center conductor and the outer conductor
are smaller. This is the simple IR loss of the conductors. It is the same
as going from a rg-8 to a rg-58 type coax.

Old July 3rd 10, 04:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jul 3, 10:11*am, "Ralph Mowery" wrote:
"Ian Jackson" wrote in message

But, when the coax is stretched, what happens to the characteristic

impedance and the loss? [This is a (sort of) serious question!]
--
Ian

If the ratio of the conductors stay the same, there should not be a change
except the losses go up. *As you streach the coax, the shield and the center
conductor will get smaller. *Also the dialectric will have to get smaller.
If they do not srink at the same ratio, the impedance will change depending
on which conductor gets smaller the fastest.

The losses will go up because the center conductor and the outer conductor
are smaller. *This is the simple IR loss of the conductors. *It is the same
as going from a rg-8 to a rg-58 type coax.

I'd be pleased to trade two buckets of prop wash for a coax stretcher.
Any takers?

Walt, W2DU
Old July 3rd 10, 07:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In article
,
walt wrote:

I'd be pleased to trade two buckets of prop wash for a coax stretcher.
Any takers?

Walt-

Contact Tucker Electronics to see if they are willing to deal!

One such device is the General Radio 874LK20L line stretcher. Tucker
may have them in stock. See
http://www.tucker.com/java/jsp/produ...d17338_condR.h
tm.

The product is described in a GR document at
http://www.tucker.com/images/images_spec/00001006.pdf. It is supposed
to have a constant impedance.

Fred
K4DII
Old July 3rd 10, 08:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jul 3, 2:03*pm, Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article
,

*walt wrote:
I'd be pleased to trade two buckets of prop wash for a coax stretcher.
Any takers?

Walt-

Contact Tucker Electronics to see if they are willing to deal!

One such device is the General Radio 874LK20L line stretcher. *Tucker
may have them in stock. See
http://www.tucker.com/java/jsp/produ...d17338_condR.h
tm.

The product is described in a GR document at
http://www.tucker.com/images/images_spec/00001006.pdf. *It is supposed
to have a constant impedance.

Fred
K4DII

Well Fred, I have a couple of GR line stretchers. What I need is a
coax stretcher!

Walt
Old July 3rd 10, 10:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I seriously doubt if there is any shortage of copper for coax or any
other type feed line. It's probably more a matter of someone
forgetting to order stock, or enough stock. Or, like gasoline, it's a
contrived 'shortage'.

As for a 'coax stretcher', all is not lost, I have one. No, I do not
loan it out. I might be talked into selling it, but you probably
couldn't afford it, sorry.
- 'Doc
Old July 3rd 10, 11:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jul 3, 11:54*am, walt wrote:
[...]

I see your prop wash and will give you a left handed pipe wrench in
exchange.If not the pipe wrench how about a can of muzzle blast?