Old August 13th 10, 12:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default FORTRAN/ Intellectual Property was vemsa3d 1.1 - a flossvisual em simulator for 3d antennas

On Aug 13, 1:12*am, John Smith wrote:
On 8/12/2010 3:34 PM, Jim Lux wrote:

John Smith wrote:

FORTRAN is far from dead in applications processing massive arrays (just
about any finite element program). For instance, I'd venture that most
weather prediction codes are in FORTRAN (MM5, which is a widely used
mesoscale modeling code, is in FORTRAN, as is WRF), as are a lot of
structural analysis (e.g. NASTRAN is in FORTRAN), and virtually ALL
electromagnetics codes.

These days, I choose to program, almost exclusively, in assembly and
C/C+/C++ (all C looks the same to someone writing in it.) *If someone

well, that just blew any credibility you had with me. c+ is a joke,
c# is real, and no, all flavors of c don't look the same! far from
it, someone who knows c would be lost doing c++ or c#.

and yes, there is a huge fortran codebase out there in scientific and
engineering circles. many of the largest modeling packages use
fortran for at least the backend, even if the frontend has been
rewritten in a more gui friendly language.
Old August 13th 10, 05:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 8/13/2010 4:45 AM, K1TTT wrote:

well, that just blew any credibility you had with me. c+ is a joke,
c# is real, and no, all flavors of c don't look the same! far from
it, someone who knows c would be lost doing c++ or c#.

and yes, there is a huge fortran codebase out there in scientific and
engineering circles. many of the largest modeling packages use
fortran for at least the backend, even if the frontend has been
rewritten in a more gui friendly language.

Yeah, you are just another idiot shooting off his mouth about what he
knows nothing about. Gee, isn't that unique? ROFLOL
Old August 13th 10, 05:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 8/12/2010 10:20 PM, Richard Clark wrote:
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 19:06:21 -0700, John Smith
wrote:

My daughter just got her doctorate from Columbia University.

Frankly, I find that amazing, indeed, it implies insanity to me.

And our friend Mr. Ostrom, the computer scientist, got his AS degree
in Chico something more than a dozen years ago. There's authority on
the topic speaking for ya'.

Oh no, another know-it-all that knows nothing. ROFLOL

Old August 13th 10, 06:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Aug 13, 4:50*pm, John Smith wrote:
On 8/13/2010 4:45 AM, K1TTT wrote:

well, that just blew any credibility you had with me. *c+ is a joke,
c# is real, and no, all flavors of c don't look the same! *far from
it, someone who knows c would be lost doing c++ or c#.

and yes, there is a huge fortran codebase out there in scientific and
engineering circles. *many of the largest modeling packages use
fortran for at least the backend, even if the frontend has been
rewritten in a more gui friendly language.

Yeah, you are just another idiot shooting off his mouth about what he
knows nothing about. *Gee, isn't that unique? *ROFLOL

i win! i got called a name first!
Old August 13th 10, 06:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

My daughter just got her doctorate from Columbia University.

Frankly, I find that amazing, indeed, it implies insanity to me.

And our friend Mr. Ostrom, the computer scientist, got his AS degree
in Chico something more than a dozen years ago. There's authority on
the topic speaking for ya'.

Oh no, another know-it-all that knows nothing. ROFLOL

A confirmation. ;-)

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Old August 13th 10, 07:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John Smith wrote:
On 8/13/2010 4:45 AM, K1TTT wrote:

well, that just blew any credibility you had with me. c+ is a joke,
c# is real, and no, all flavors of c don't look the same! far from
it, someone who knows c would be lost doing c++ or c#.

and yes, there is a huge fortran codebase out there in scientific and
engineering circles. many of the largest modeling packages use
fortran for at least the backend, even if the frontend has been
rewritten in a more gui friendly language.

Yeah, you are just another idiot shooting off his mouth about what he
knows nothing about. Gee, isn't that unique? ROFLOL

Sounds more like a case of pot-kettle-black.

Whether you like it or not, and whether you can accept the fact or not,
what he says is true.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old August 13th 10, 11:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

wrote:

My daughter just got her doctorate from Columbia University.

Frankly, I find that amazing, indeed, it implies insanity to me.

And our friend Mr. Ostrom, the computer scientist, got his AS degree
in Chico something more than a dozen years ago. There's authority on
the topic speaking for ya'.

Oh no, another know-it-all that knows nothing. ROFLOL

A confirmation. ;-)

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

It says a lot about ability and self esteem when someone has an email
address like his and says the things he does. My guess is that I have
made a lot more money programming than he ever will. And in a lot more
languages. And a lot fewer bugs.

tom
K0TAR

Old August 14th 10, 12:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

* wrote:

My daughter just got her doctorate from Columbia University.

Frankly, I find that amazing, indeed, it implies insanity to me.

And our friend Mr. Ostrom, the computer scientist, got his AS degree
in Chico something more than a dozen years ago. *There's authority on
the topic speaking for ya'.

Oh no, another know-it-all that knows nothing. *ROFLOL

A confirmation. *;-)

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

It says a lot about ability and self esteem when someone has an email
address like his and says the things he does. *My guess is that I have
made a lot more money programming than he ever will. *And in a lot more
languages. *And a lot fewer bugs.

tom
K0TAR

amen on that... lets see, 42 years programming now, 26 getting paid
just for that, languages??? pdp8 assy, focal, fortran(several
versions), basic(several variants), pascal, x86 assy, vb, ada, c, c++,
c#, vb.net, asp.net, various jcl variations, ibm360 assy, 68xxx assy,
objective c, pl-1, apl, java, javascript, vrml, html, xaml, xml,
matlab, mathcad, and probably a few others i have forgotten.
Old August 14th 10, 01:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

wrote:

[...]

PDP8 assy? 12 bit machine wasn't it? (didn't look it up, not cheating)

I rebuilt one after someone plugged the TTY card into the bus. You may
remember that none of the cards were keyed. Loop current voltage hits
the bus, oops. Lots of RTL and DTL to replace.

tom
K0TAR
Old August 14th 10, 01:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

wrote:

[...]

Favorite assy was 6809. Did a lot on the Ericsson MD110 while writing
patches.

tom
K0TAR