Old September 15th 10, 02:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Horizontal loop as an inverted L

As mentioned in several articles, people have used a horizontal loop
as an inverted L, or top loaded vertical, by tying the feeders
together at ground level and tuning it against ground. Specifically,
I am interested in knowing personal experiences with a configuration
of using an 80 meter loop on 160 meters, with the loop 35-40 above
ground. Also of interest is how much of a ground plane was
installed. I'm interested in only stateside contacts on 160, not DX.
If you have used such a configuration, I'd like to hear from you
within this newsgroup or directly.

I've been very happy with the performance of my 40 and 80 meter loops
and use a weatherproof rapid disconnect, for 300 ohm or 450 ohm window
line, when storms approach.

Thanks for reading this posting and don't forget the HF swap nets on
40 and 80 meters.

73,

Evan, K9SQG
Old September 19th 10, 03:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Evan,
I've done that with an 80 meter loop. It's far from the 'best' 160
meter antenna, but it can work 'okay'. How well it works (with in
limits) depends a lot on how it's erected and the 'ground' you work it
against. Too much variation in all that to make a guess about, so try
it and see.
Paul

l/2 horizontal dipole vs inverted L 160m band tzitzikas Antenna 3 January 3rd 09 09:32 PM
Horizontal loop antenna Bruce W. Ellis Antenna 28 February 20th 08 07:34 PM
Size of horizontal loop? Hans Remeeus Antenna 10 July 31st 06 05:14 PM
Horizontal HF Loop Newman Antenna 7 July 29th 06 08:41 PM
80 Meter Horizontal Loop GeorgeF Antenna 109 June 16th 05 04:59 PM