Old November 21st 10, 04:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default feeding random inverted V for RX

Spamhog (N1JPR ?)

It might be that you are asking for the surge impedance (Z0) of a
transmission line that will minimize the SWR (wrt to the impedance of that
TL) when the TL is connected to your antenna (over a frequency range).
EZNEC offers a straight forward way of answering the question.

Model the antenna and request EZNEC to calculate SWR over the desired
frequency span. Set the alternate Z0 to something like 200 ohms. Plot the
SWR on a Smith chart with the alternate Z0 as the center. Adjust the
alternate Z0 (you do not need to calculate again) until the Smith chart
display is approximately centered and the alternate Z0 will be the desired
Z0 of the transmission line.

It is doubtful that a TL with the desired Z0 exists.

It will be apparent to you that SWR will be high over the wide frequency
range that you mentioned. As a receiving antenna for use from 3 to 30 MHz,
this fact is of very little importance. It would be hard to have a receiver
that has such a poor noise-figure as to be adversely affected.

73, Mac N8TT

P.S. The above technique is not applicable for relatively narrow frequency
spans. Its normal utility is with LPDAs.

J. McLaughlin; Michigan, USA
Home:

--
J. McLaughlin; *Michigan, USA
Home:

Thank you Mac! All I needed - confirmation that a way exists to find
the ballpark least-bad Z0 given the constraints.

Filippo N1JPR
Old November 24th 10, 09:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Dear Filippo N1JPR: You are welcome. Indeed a scheme does exist to find
the ballpark least-bad Z0 given constraints.

For several sufficient reasons, you will find that using EZNEC is desirable.
All sorts of "what if" designs can be evaluated.

73, Mac N8TT

--
J. McLaughlin; Michigan, USA
Home: