Old April 15th 04, 02:11 AM
Yuri Blanarovich

Default Never mind mercury - Plasma antenna

Markland Awarded Patent for New Gas Plasma Antenna Technology Designed for
Homeland Security and Military Applications
Wednesday April 14, 7:00 am ET

Plasma Antenna has potential to Revolutionalize Antenna Technology

RIDGEFIELD, Conn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 14, 2004-- Markland Technologies,
Inc. (OTCBB: MRKL- http://www.marklandtech.com), an integrated homeland
security company, announced today that its gas plasma research team has been
awarded US patent # 6,710,746 for a gas plasma antenna element demonstrating
re-configurable length. A gas-plasma antenna could revolutionize antenna
technology due to its unique benefits over traditional antennas. A plasma
antenna operates with greater stealth, has the ability to dynamically
transmit/receive multiple frequencies, and is extremely portable.

The company intends to direct its research toward applications for Military and
Homeland Security. This includes applications such as secure broadband wireless
communications and stealth radar. The development of this technology has been
funded to date through Small Business Innovative Research grants from the US
Navy and Army.

The US patent awarded to Markland relates to plasma antennas having
re-configurable length, beamwidth, and bandwidth. Traditionally, antennas have
been defined as metallic devices for radiating or receiving radio waves, or as
a conducting wire, which is sized to emit radiation at one or more selected
frequencies. As a result, the paradigm for antenna design has heretofore been
focused on antenna geometry and physical dimensions. Markland's innovative gas
plasma antenna patent portfolio changes the paradigm, as it is now possible to
design antennas which have greater flexibility and security than conventional
antennas.

Markland CEO Robert Tarini stated, "We anticipate that our Gas Plasma Antenna
(GPA) intellectual property portfolio will provide a revolutionary new set of
advanced capabilities to the Department of Defense and Department of Homeland
Security as they endeavor to deal with an ever changing landscape of
challenges. Our plan for the GPA technology is to transition it from its
present stage of development, where we have multiple active government funded
contracts for advanced research programs, to the next stage, where we hope to
be awarded product development contracts to commercialize the technology."

Old April 15th 04, 12:44 PM
'Doc

Yuri,
I wonder if it comes in various colors? Put one
under my ride, get rid of the 'bugcatcher'! Style'n
and profile'n in neon color! I need one'a them...
'Doc
Old April 15th 04, 02:54 PM
Yuri Blanarovich

W5LZ:
I wonder if it comes in various colors?

Yea, that will make it really invisible :-)

I am not sure how real this is. Have not played with plasma, besides generating
it from the tip of the mobile whip.

Looks like another freaky scientwific scheme to suck the taxpayer money for
"research" to replace $0.05 worth of wire with heated air?

Yuri
Old April 15th 04, 11:41 PM
'Doc

Yuri,
Aah, politicians have been replacing things with hot
air for years! Wonder it that will affect the patent?
'Doc
Old April 15th 04, 02:14 PM
J. McLaughlin

Have used "plasma" as a noise source to measure RF systems. Use as, or
even near, a receiving antenna is problematic.
"One is born every minute."
73 Mac N8TT
--
J. Mc Laughlin - Michigan USA
Home:

Old April 19th 04, 07:14 PM
Jimmy

"J. McLaughlin" wrote in message
Have used "plasma" as a noise source to measure RF systems. Use as, or
even near, a receiving antenna is problematic.
"One is born every minute."
73 Mac N8TT
--
J. Mc Laughlin - Michigan USA
Home:

Sounds like a Titanium hammer to me

Old April 15th 04, 07:07 PM
Jim Kelley

Yuri Blanarovich wrote:

[...]

Apparently, most of the initial experimental data was collected during
many long hours of testing at the Murphy's Tavern field laboratory using
Murphy's "Ice Cold Beer" sign.

:-)

ac6xg
Old April 15th 04, 07:30 PM
H. Adam Stevens

"Jim Kelley" wrote in message
Yuri Blanarovich wrote:

[...]

Ahhh yas!
The old "beer can vertical"!
The drunker you get, the lower the resonant frequency!
73
H.
NQ5H

Old April 15th 04, 11:21 PM
Dave VanHorn

Ahhh yas!
The old "beer can vertical"!
The drunker you get, the lower the resonant frequency!
73
H.
NQ5H

Maybe that explains what I hear on the lower bands these days...

Old April 15th 04, 11:40 PM
Dave

i just wonder how they got a patent on that with all the previous published
information on making one. heck that was even published in qst some years
ago, i believe it was an april issue...